Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2010, 12:47 AM   #106

Thanks, AZ 8)

Since she was free I thought I could fix it cost effectively. Time effective is a different story though. The good news is I like working on bikes, because I have A LOT of time in this one. I'd guess 40 hours if you include research...

Old 11-10-2010, 12:54 AM   #107

The swingarm looks great; the entire bike looks great! I do have two questions. What is the "old masking tape trick" for the fork seals? What is the rusty piece of metal located behind the right snail adjuster? :?:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-10-2010, 01:08 AM   #108

Thanks, Spud.

The tape trick:

Clean the slider tube and wrap one course of masking tape around it, then gently push the taped slider in and out through the fork seal. In many cases this will clean off the debris that's making the seal leak in the first place.

The rusty piece of metal (I guess I missed one... :roll: ) is a lever welded to the axle. I think you can hold on to it to keep the axle from turning while working the axle nut on the other side.

The Rat is definitly coming along.

I wish I could find a can of OEM color spray paint for the frame so I could touch it up and not have to repaint the entire frame.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:16 AM   #109

Time to repaint the frame. Would you change the colour to something closer to Honda red, or try and keep the burnt orange look? It seems to me that I found a tractor paint that was really close to the stock colour, but I can't recall what brand it was. Don't be shy about looking to Rustoleum as well.

That bike is looking really good. Instead of replacing the seals on those shocks, do you want the CR125 shocks I have? That would give you the opportunity to upgrade to a disc brake.

What did you use for swingarm paint?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #110

Location: Wheeling, WV native currently living In Natchitoches, LA
Send a message via AIM to BrianW
Looking fantastic, Doc. Glad to see you making such good progress on it!

Old 11-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Time to repaint the frame. Would you change the colour to something closer to Honda red, or try and keep the burnt orange look? It seems to me that I found a tractor paint that was really close to the stock colour, but I can't recall what brand it was. Don't be shy about looking to Rustoleum as well.

That bike is looking really good. Instead of replacing the seals on those shocks, do you want the CR125 shocks I have? That would give you the opportunity to upgrade to a disc brake.

What did you use for swingarm paint?
The shocks sound good, but I'd need a lot else I'm not in the mood to invest in for The Rat. Like the brake, wheel, speedo drive lever, master cylinder, caliper etc. The drum is almost good enough, I'm inclined to stick with it for now. Thanks for the offer, though. I bet it's a better shock, too.

The swingarm paint is a paint (I forgot the brand) designed for aluminum cars wheels. VERY tough, resistant to abrasion and chemicals, very easy to apply. Duplicolor medium silver, I think, IIRC. It's a perfect match for the swingarm, and I've also used it to repaint fork sliders with excellent effect. I had some leftover when I repainted the stock wheels on my Ford 1989 Probe GT. I NEVER should have sold that car, BTW .

IF I was to repaint the frame from scratch, I'd use this paint.

Also, I used Rustoleum Tractor Paint for the XR100 I restored a couple years ago. Good stuff, and not a bad match either. I figured paint tough enough for a tractor would be good for a dirt bike.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #112

If you change your mind, the wheel comes with it. You'd then be looking for a matched set that includes the master, lever and caliper.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #113

Quote:
If you change your mind, the wheel comes with it. You'd then be looking for a matched set that includes the master, lever and caliper.
I might go for it. It would keep me from having to true my wonky wheel.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #114

That presumes the wheel I have is any straighter. 8O I better check it.

I'd be happy to bring it when we finally pay a visit.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #115

Quote:
That presumes the wheel I have is any straighter. 8O I better check it.

I'd be happy to bring it when we finally pay a visit.
Thanks. What year CR125? I can ask the guys at TT if the forks will fit.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #116

This project keeps getting better, and better! I certainly hope I don't get unintentionally unsubscribed from this thread again! Once again, thank you for documenting all your great work, and thank you for posting all the great photos, Brother Bill!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #117

Thanks for the masking tape tip Doc! I am so going to try that before I replace my fork seals on my KLR

Cheers,
Stew

Old 11-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Thanks for the masking tape tip Doc! I am so going to try that before I replace my fork seals on my KLR

Cheers,
Stew
Yes, thanks for the tip, Doc! I have employed a business card in a similar manner to remove dirt from the fork seals. Others have used either a strip of photographic film negative, or a strip from a goggle tear off.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #119

Same basic idea. I think the texture of the tape is an asset, like the holes in 35mm film were.

I wonder how long it will be before a guy says, '35mm film' and no one knows what he's talking about? :roll:

Old 11-10-2010, 11:11 PM   #120

I trued the front wheel. Nothing to it. 5 minutes. Spud was right, just like a bicycle. No pics of this one.