Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2009, 02:28 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Right hand side (I'm right handed) on the vertical frame tube, forward area of the tank. the picture sucks and I've got it crossways, but you get the idea.
That looks like a good spot. I'm not sure you want to be feeling around the exhaust pipe when it's hot though. The spot I picked is on the left hand side, just under the bodywork. There's a gusset just in front of the coil; all it took was two holes for the left zip tie and one for the right (along with a little filing to locate the right zip tie). I don't want it moving around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
If we are talking about sending 36 sq" of material so someone can protect a battery box or something, my offer stands. I dont give a rats ass about the "legality", (if any) and these heaters were only a year old old, but got sihtcanned because morons hit em with forklifts.

I guess I sound a bit abrasive, but when it comes to the assinine rules and regs that these lazy, corrupt, fatass, dense, politicians put in to place just so they can say they are "doing" something.....I get pissed off.
I hear ya. That's exactly why I made the smartass comment about shipping it. As an example, we're not allowed to ship gel cell batteries by air to our customers at work, but ground transport is ok. Drives me nuts. Don't even get me started about jobs being shut down for asbestos abatement. :roll:

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #107

Cool battery mod! That'll spin the beast over no sweat!

Old 10-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Cool battery mod! That'll spin the beast over no sweat!
I'm hoping it has enough to handle the winch thats waiting to go on

Keep in mind with the batt mod there is no going back. That Dremel is in the pic for a reaon

I managed to keep the little "shelf" that exists behind the box, but the rest is gutted out. Never to return....Worth it though in my opinion.

From 9AH to 19AH (near as I can tell) is a pretty big improvement.

This batt should do the winch without running the bike too much. Two schools of thought on this.....one camp says running a small stator or charging system while drawing a really heavy load (50 amps PLUS) will kill things like your stator....other side says "meh I do it all the time".
We'll try a few test pulls both ways once my lazy butt gets the winch on :0

Old 10-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #109

Correct, you never know unless you try! I would say it's more than worth it for the extra cranking power alone... Funny how assembly brings out the loctite and modding brings out the beer . Probably why modding is so much more fun! I'm going to see if mine held a charge or not, it seems to have gotten better. Love your mods though, I am watching them closely! Please keep the pics coming!

Regards,
Stew

Old 10-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Correct, you never know unless you try! I would say it's more than worth it for the extra cranking power alone... Funny how assembly brings out the loctite and modding brings out the beer . Probably why modding is so much more fun! I'm going to see if mine held a charge or not, it seems to have gotten better. Love your mods though, I am watching them closely! Please keep the pics coming!

Regards,
Stew
Thanks I wouldnt have known where to start without the people on this site though!

Next up is the winch, but its a little problematic. It barely fits on the nose, but I dont like the angle, so I'd like my new mounting plate to be "ramped" somewhat, to keep the winch a little more parallel to the ground.

I could stick the thing on the rear of the bike somehow, but I want it on the nose for hauling the bike up the trailer.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #111

Any way to mod the brush guard to hold it? Seems pretty sturdy. Otherwise I agree, the front of the machine is kind of narrow and sloped. My battery is dead again from just sitting with no draws... Guess it is time for a trip to C/T or Wally's for a replacement! Hard to ride with my son when I always have to boost mine!

Old 10-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #112

will kill things like your stator

A stator is nothing more than varnished magnet wire wrapped around an iron core. When the stator is "making electricity" the windings tend to get warm. This is when the quality of the varnish on the wire comes into play.

If you fry a stator it is because the materials used to build it were "sub standard". They are EASILY re-wound at home and generally give no more trouble if quality wire is used.

(we'll cross this bridge if we have to)

Old 10-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #113

I'm still thinking about your air filter Pete. If the battery box location precludes a clamp-on Uni, maybe you'd like to install a snorkel like cameron88 did. Check out http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...t=8568&start=0

He struggled with battery box proximity and his solution was to relocate the battery box. I still think a snorkel could be fitted with a 90 degree rubber boot that clamps on the carb (the stocker maybe?). You could then have the air filter exit the left front fender and put the Uni on top.

My $0.02. Worth every penny. :wink:

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #114

Thanks W&G for that UNI air fliter link, i went to the local motorcycle shop and ordered one on friday, should be here on tuesday, i think the uni will be the best way to get the most air in becuase after i put the mikuni on and installed the original air box the bike ran like crap, even with the foam ripped out it still was too restricted, it only runs good with no filter right now so i'm hoping the UNI will have enough flow.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #115

Thanks for the update waynev; let us know how it runs with the Uni.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:53 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I'm still thinking about your air filter Pete. If the battery box location precludes a clamp-on Uni, maybe you'd like to install a snorkel like cameron88 did. Check out http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...t=8568&start=0

He struggled with battery box proximity and his solution was to relocate the battery box. I still think a snorkel could be fitted with a 90 degree rubber boot that clamps on the carb (the stocker maybe?). You could then have the air filter exit the left front fender and put the Uni on top.

My $0.02. Worth every penny. :wink:
Although a neat idea, its not for me, but Kudo's to him for doing it, and thanks for the link.

I've been fine tuning off and on tonight and I'm starting to wonder about the stock air box (still want a UNI). I mentioned before that I drilled 8 additional holes in the thing and what I thought was airflow restriction turned out to be a 1/4 turn on the A/F screw on the Mikuni.

My Mikuni is sensitive. I was getting too much fuel and it would bog, then I leaned it out a little too much and it felt EXACTLY like an electrical breakdown at higher RPM,s.

After tonight though, I cant improve any more. I have no hesitation whatsoever, none. Zero breakdown at higher RPM and incredibly snappy response. Damn near instant. It returns to idle nicely after goosing it and no matter how fast you TRY and get it to stumble (by blipping the throttle very quickly) it just responds.

So with the carb adjusted perfectly, and those 8 extra holes (along the sides, beneath the elements) it is getting enough air...go figure.

I happen to be 1 1/4 turns out now on the fuel screw.

Let youngest son rip around a bit and he says its perfect and I agree.

Buttoned up the batt but the seat had to be slightly forced on, so I removed 50% of that flat edge/fin that runs crossways under the seat. Its part of the seat mold. i still have half of it there for rigidity and I just got lucky because it still locates nicely on a recess in the new batt.

No point in comparing the two batts because there is no comparison, simple as that.

Started fuel line but I was using hose clamps and for the carb end I need one of those butterfly clamps. Hose clamp interferes ever so slightly with the choke actuator. No biggie.

MIC: you have a draw from something more than likely that is draining your batt, but on the other hand it should be charged enough to start after a ride unless the thing is Fubared. Do you always shut it off with the key? I was using the kill switch and forgetting the key, so the LED was staying on. Only a small little LED, but those batts are real tiny. never know.

Ordered one of these new 2010 110's tonight...should be fun

Old 10-25-2009, 02:23 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Hi Pete,

Out of curiousity, why'd you order the 110?

-T

Old 10-25-2009, 04:48 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Hi Pete,

-T
My 15yr old (150R) wanted one to play with. Something smaller than a Beast and around 400 budget wise. He works part time and coughed up half, I fronted him the rest. Can be used in Winter as well.

He's been working at a dollar store for over a year now. Pays for his own stuff mostly like his Blackberry, skateboards, fancy ass bicycles, etc. Big ticket items like the Honda we have to sign for, but he pays the balance monthly.

My oldest (18yrs) also works part time, again for over a year now. He recently bought his own car. In his name, pays his own insurance even. He passed thru the bike phase already but it didnt "take" with him. He's re-doing grade 12 right now. graduated last year but decided he wants to do something in the medical arena so he had to go back and take all that advanced stuff (formely gd 13 I guess) to get in to the university he wants.

Anyway, almost 05:00 here and I'm rambling.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:27 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Hi Pete,

-T
My 15yr old (150R) wanted one to play with. Something smaller than a Beast and around 400 budget wise. He works part time and coughed up half, I fronted him the rest. Can be used in Winter as well.

He's been working at a dollar store for over a year now. Pays for his own stuff mostly like his Blackberry, skateboards, fancy ass bicycles, etc. Big ticket items like the Honda we have to sign for, but he pays the balance monthly.

My oldest (18yrs) also works part time, again for over a year now. He recently bought his own car. In his name, pays his own insurance even. He passed thru the bike phase already but it didnt "take" with him. He's re-doing grade 12 right now. graduated last year but decided he wants to do something in the medical arena so he had to go back and take all that advanced stuff (formely gd 13 I guess) to get in to the university he wants.

Anyway, almost 05:00 here and I'm rambling.
No prob on the rambling, I tend to do that too.

You'll like the 110cc motor. My daughters 110cc Mini Beast ran like a top, right out of the box. It's had a lot of use, and it still fires up and purrs like a kitten, stock carb and all.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this unit when you get it. I have the same body style in the 50cc for my youngest, and while for what I paid I can't complain too loudly, their are certain things that irk me. Perhaps with the larger motor, the position of the oil drain bolt will be better positioned. (On the 50cc the frame connector at the bottom is directly under it)

Take care!

Old 10-25-2009, 05:41 AM   #120

I'm looking forward to it also..something new to screw up!!!!

I will probably let my daughter go for a toot every now and then when he's not around. My dog and cats get along better than they do. " DONT TOUCH IT!!! ITS MINE!!!" type stuff. Last night it was WWIII over a bloody Ipod cable of all things.

I know GIO packs a lot in to a little thing like this, probably wont be a joy to work on due to size, but on the bright side I can sling it around pretty easy to gain access.

I actually love stuff like this truth be told . Something you can wrench on and get results sooner or later. like cars used to be back in the day, but not so much now (dont miss points too much though).

I am going to try really hard not to wrench, post, wrench, post..I'll try and do a proper assy & thoughts review AFTER its done, of course, they are never really "done", but you know what I mean.