Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2009, 10:18 PM   #106

See my other thread on this bike. I bought the rebranded Hensim 250 cruiser from Baja Motorsports. It made it to 49 miles and now the transmission slips in and out of gear and is stuck between 4th and 5th.

The shop said these break like this ALL the TIME, but they deny warranty coverage any way they can and in this case they say it's not the manufacturers fault it's the place that sold it with packing oil still in it. (not true) and they claim they got 6 quarts of oil out of it when it should have had 1.6 or something. I don't believe that for a second this is all some scam.

The shop (Scoot-n-Skeddale in portland oregon) is putting my bike back together BROKEN and washing their hands of it.

I have to have it hauled back home with no way to fix it.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #107

I put on about 30 miles on my bike today. I have to tell you that the other person known as hensim has got me a bit nervous on his transmission. I have many times commented that the transmission is a bit quirky. That has remained. I am at 1200 miles, and it just has an issue once in a while. I will let you know more when I know it.

I will be switching to a Rotella 5W40 synthetic in a week or so.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:41 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
I put on about 30 miles on my bike today. I have to tell you that the other person known as hensim has got me a bit nervous on his transmission. I have many times commented that the transmission is a bit quirky. That has remained. I am at 1200 miles, and it just has an issue once in a while. I will let you know more when I know it.

I will be switching to a Rotella 5W40 synthetic in a week or so.
The Shell Rotella T 5W-40 Synthetic oil is a great product. My Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 transmission shifts very smoothly with this motor oil.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-24-2009, 05:08 AM   #109

Thanks for the encouragement, Spud. I intend to pick it up today, but have a busy schedule and may not get it in fora few days.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #110

If your tranny problem is just occasional missed shifts and difficulty in getting neutral any time other than when the bike is off that seems to be the norm for these bikes and I wouldn't worry too much about it.

However if you've had the same issues I have had such as having it get stuck between only two gears and requiring you to jiggle and fiddle with it pretty hard to get going again or slipping out of gear mid riding I'd seriously worry, you aren't far from where I'm at if these are going on.

Good luck.

Don't ever force the shifter hard, it will break that way also.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:37 PM   #111

So your tranny worked for a while? I sent you a personal message through this forum, please check it.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:43 PM   #112

Someone else said they'd pm'd me and I got nothing. I look for your pm and again there's nothing.

Can you just copy and paste it here?

Yes it worked for a while but only got worse. The manufacturers tech said it should loosen up as it breaks in but I only made it to 49 miles and now it's completely stuck again. I don't know what the problem is but the warranty center pulled the clutch cover and said they'd have to split the case and get all the way inside it to fix it and denied my warranty after that point.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:00 PM   #113

I sent a pm too. Let me know if you don't get it. Just testing.

Sounds like the warranty center doesn't want to do anything. My guess is a bent shift fork or a broken part inside. Splitting the cases is alot of work and it would be cheaper to just swap in a new engine.

Allen

Old 06-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #114

I received your test pm, that's the first and only pm I've received so far.

There's no way I can afford to buy a new engine, it would be hundreds of dollars and I'm out of work. I have no choice but to do the work myself no matter what it takes. I'm screwed out of riding this summer, just getting parts can be a lengthy ordeal.

I've never split a case before but I have installed new heads, pistons, rings, valves etc and can manage it I think.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #115

Try to very respectfully work with your credit card company, That has worked for me in the past. If you need some verification on the entire ordeal use the info you have posted here. Did you go the BaJa site and down load the parts info? I did. And while it is not great, it is very worth having.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #116

Yea I started a dispute on my debit card, but haven't heard one word on it. I also have the packet here from the attorney generals office but haven't sent it in yet.

Even if they credit it I'll still have the bike and need to fix it.

I have downloaded the parts list from Baja, but have no clue what the problem may be until I crack the case and they don't list prices or have any way to check availability so who knows how long it's going to take. I'm probably not tearing into it until the disputes are resolved in case they do want me to take it back to the repair center or something.

I was nice to the credit card people, it's only Baja and the repair center I started to get pissy with and am still incredibly mad at. Well I'm incredibly mad about the whole thing but I hope I'm not coming across all bitchy to you guys, I certainly don't mean to be.

I'm mad at myself too for even buying one of these. That money could have bought a 20 year old honda and it probably would have been more reliable even at 20 years old than these are.

People say well you get what you paid for when I tell them this story but no I didn't get what I paid for, I paid for a new bike covered under warranty. A lower quality clone bike with questionable build quality and no track record but still guaranteed to work for the summer. Instead I just figured it out and it cost me 17.5 dollars a mile.

I wouldn't spend hundreds on a new engine for this bike because even once repaired it's not worth more than about $800 on craigslist, it's just not worth repairing unless I can do it myself for under $150 or so. More than that and I'll just have to try to part it out on ebay and what doesn't sell will have to be hauled to the dump.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #117

I was referring to trying to get them to warranty a new engine. I think you need to be persistent with the debit card people too. It may take a call back to get an update.

Was it purchased from Canadian Tire? I am not sure if you said that or not? You may wish to contact their corporate office or at least speak to a manager at the store.

Allen

Old 06-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #118

Thanks allen, no it was purchased at the Joes Sports and Outdoor going out of business sale. And they're gone, closed, no way to go back.
If it was a store still in business you bet I'd go back to them.

I was as persistent as could be with Baja and they will not do a thing, period, end of story. Among other reasons they claim (too much oil, still had packing oil, not prepped right by the seller so not covered on warranty) they also said on the last call to them that it can't be a manufactuing defect because it worked earlier, in other words it's my fault for using it so much. WTF? Earlier than 49 miles? Seems to me any engine these days that can't make it past 50 miles screams manufacturing defect. Joes may not have prepped the bike right but who's fault is it for shipping a bike with packing oil? Factory...

Does anyone know if honda/yamaha/kawasaki also ship bikes with packing oil not suitable for use until it's changed out? I know they sell through brick and mortar and prep the bikes and assemble but why packing oil and not real oil or not the right amount at all?

Had I bought it in a crate I'd have known to change the packing oil but no it was fully assembled with an amsoil sticker on it just like all the others. Appeared prepped and I wasn't even going to change the first oil until after 50 miles. I was one mile away from changing it but then taking it into the warranty center I knew they'd have to change it to work on it and so didn't do it then either. But now that I've talked to baja and the warranty center it appears that if anyone changes the oil other than the authorized service center that voids the warranty as well.

Clearly they just have every excuse in the world lined up and ready to go.

But I'm just flat out screwed though, royally screwed.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:08 PM   #119

You should try to contact Hensim and tell them the forums are lighting up with displeasure to your story. Be respectful but see if they are willing to help. If you get to the right people, you should get some satisfaction. I am willing to spread the word on your situation, but first you try to get some help from Hensim.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #120

Sounds like you might be tearing into an engine real soon.

I am leaning toward a bent fork or something came loose. It may not cost anything other than some time and gaskets.

Your only real recourse now is the debit card people as the seller is out. Also the state attorney general.

Is there any other baja dealers in the area that may have some pull.

Allen