Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #1141

About eight years ago, my brother, my sister, and myself moved our folks from NE WI to NW WI, or more accurately, from the E end of WI hiway 70 in St. Germain to the W end of US 8 in Cameron, their idea of moving south. My brother and I were foisting curses up our father for every 5 gallon bucket of scrap lumber we lugged that Dad insisted on bringing with. The scrap made sense at the old place, kindling for the fireplaces in the house and the wood furnace in the garage. With the gas fireplace and furnace at the new place, not so much. When asked why we had moved this stuff, Dad said "You'll never know when you'll need a 6" piece of 1x2."

I told you that to tell you this.
While cleaning out the detritus of my garage, I came across a taped up paper grocery bag that had written on it in black marker, 'Save, June 83'. It was in my handwriting. My youngest was two months old in June of 83. I open up the bag and find a half dozen toilet paper tubes. No idea why I held on to them, or worse, why I moved them from the last place to this one 18 years ago. But I know where I get it from.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 10-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #1142

LOL!

It's genetic!

Nothing like a move to get rid of stuff though.

Usually... :roll:

Old 10-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #1143

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I hate winter and this is how it always starts. :twisted:

Old 10-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #1144

Doc, it's been like that for weeks here N. IL. The maple in my front yard is the nicest shade of red. And if the wind blows right, the leaves all end up in my neighbors yard. He hates leaves and I hate raking, what's not to like.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 10-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #1145

You need to adapt, winter is 3 months of the year, hating 3 months of every year is a big downer. Embrace it Snow Doc.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #1146

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy
Doc, it's been like that for weeks here N. IL. The maple in my front yard is the nicest shade of red. And if the wind blows right, the leaves all end up in my neighbors yard. He hates leaves and I hate raking, what's not to like.
This was the first one I've spotted this season. It's on my usual lunchtime jog/walk. Looks pretty now but I know where this is heading... :?

As far as leaves go trees are not a big factor here in the desert unless they are in a yard and watered, or by a natural water source of some sort.

Tumbleweeds are another deal all together though. They are a pain and accumilate on the fencelines... :x

Old 10-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #1147

What cheesy did this week in Jersey City, NJ.
Split a 10 metre telescopic lifting boom.

Too chase down a leak on this locking valve

It leaked because the assembler didn't tighten these.

A Nastygram has been sent to the manufacturer about the lack of QC. A Nastiergram has been sent about the lack of an access panel for the locking valve that necessitated a two day tear down for a 15 second repair.
:x

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 10-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #1148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
You need to adapt, winter is 3 months of the year, hating 3 months of every year is a big downer. Embrace it Snow Doc.
No question about it. You are right.

But I can't. I've hated winter since I was a puppy in NJ. :x

I remember riding into California when I moved there from New England many years ago. I smugly tought to myself I'd never have to go through the cold winter again for the rest of my life.

Idiot. :roll:

Old 10-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #1149

You need to find a nice cozy warm jacket, toque, gloves and boots. Go with Linda for a nice walk on a winter evening with some fresh snow. Then find a toasty warm fire to sit by. Winter won't seem so bad.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:58 AM   #1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
You need to find a nice cozy warm jacket, toque, gloves and boots. Go with Linda for a nice walk on a winter evening with some fresh snow. Then find a toasty warm fire to sit by. Winter won't seem so bad.
Spoken as a true Canadian.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-12-2012, 01:51 AM   #1151

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy
A Nastygram has been sent to the manufacturer about the lack of QC. A Nastiergram has been sent about the lack of an access panel for the locking valve that necessitated a two day tear down for a 15 second repair.
:x
Isn't that frustrating? My job is full of examples like that.

A good friend of mine (may he rest in peace) used to rebuild river ferry engines many moons ago. He had to cut a hole in the hull, remove the engine, rebuild and re-install it and then weld the hull back together. 8O

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-12-2012, 01:51 AM   #1152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Yep, a warm girl and a hot rum. Perfect.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Great plan.

Linda would like it too.

What should I do for the second day?

Old 10-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #1154

Wash, rinse, repeat?

All I know is you should be careful on crazy carpets, they have no steering and no brakes. I'm not doing that again.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #1155

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
No question about it. You are right.

But I can't. I've hated winter since I was a puppy in NJ. :x

I remember riding into California when I moved there from New England many years ago. I smugly tought to myself I'd never have to go through the cold winter again for the rest of my life.

Idiot. :roll:
In the bicycling community, there is a saying. "There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing choices." Wool and layers are my choices. Synthetics are blended in with the layers. Never cotton against the skin in the cold. Makes all the difference in the world. I have a Turtle Fur balakava that weighs in at a few grams and it's insulating properties are unbelievable.

Went out this morning with some buds on bicycles and it was 38F at the start. Within two miles, I was peeling off layers. Temp was in the low forties by the time we were finished. Other than my toes being a bit chilled because I left my booties in the truck, it was comfy.
That said, when the temps drop below 0F, the saying starts to be closer to BS. Then it's time for a fireplace and a single malt. The warm girl is optional.

I have bicycled at -25F, just to see what it was like. Bikes make all kinds of different noises you don't hear in warmer weather. I was quite comfortable. The bike, on the other hand, did not enjoy it. Snapped a crank arm off riding up the hill to the house.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800