Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #91

You can also run it with no fender (I'd do this on the street) to get a feel for what the coolest obtainable temps could be.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
IIf necessary, I think I can clean the plugged, 1/4" holes by poking my ignition key through them.

Spud
I would carry an old screwdriver in the tool pouch for that purpose. Flat one that you can also scrape with if needed.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #93

I got my cooler plumbed into the oil system today. I am very pleased so far with its performance. The oil cooler seems to work great, and I don't have any oil leaks. 8) I'll post some photos and my initial impressions later this evening.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
You can also run it with no fender (I'd do this on the street) to get a feel for what the coolest obtainable temps could be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
IIf necessary, I think I can clean the plugged, 1/4" holes by poking my ignition key through them.

Spud
I would carry an old screwdriver in the tool pouch for that purpose. Flat one that you can also scrape with if needed.
Thanks for the tips, guys.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #95

Here are some images of my XR650L, reassembled after the oil cooler installation.

After putting everything back together, I added a little motor oil, checked for oil leaks, and then went for a ride across town. I managed to take several twilight photographs before nightfall.

All of the basic parts for this oil cooler cost about $90, including shipping. I spent another $50 to plumb the TTO Temperature Gauge into the oil line. So far, I am very pleased with this oil cooler! Tomorrow I will mount my TTO Temperature Gauge.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #96

That's a clean installation, Spud. The only thing I wish is that we could have before and after temp readings, so as to quantify the benefit of the cooler. I'm certain that the cooler is a benefit, but I wonder how dramatically the temperature will drop.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #97

He can estimate a 'Before' reading by insulating the oil cooler.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #98

True, although it's still extra surface area that is away from the heat source, so it still acts as a heat sink, if not an exchanger.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #99

Also true. Just an estimate. :wink:

Old 04-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
That's a clean installation, Spud. The only thing I wish is that we could have before and after temp readings, so as to quantify the benefit of the cooler. I'm certain that the cooler is a benefit, but I wonder how dramatically the temperature will drop.
Thank you, Weld. As with all prudent, XR650L owners, I was interested in monitoring my engine temperatures before I even considered installing an oil cooler. However, I couldn't bring myself to spent $40, plus shipping costs, for the mediocre XRs Only, analogue temperature gauge. :roll: This unit lacks a proper dipstick, and is notorious for letting moisture under the crystal, and fogging up the lens. :? Some of these analogue gauges have also been reported to leak! 8O

I considered making my own, digital temperature gauge. However, these gauges are inconvenient as well. In addition, it's difficult to find a proper bolt that will seal the oil reservoir. If you modify the stock, oil dipstick, it becomes difficult to use, et cetera. :roll: Therefore, I decided to wait to install the Trail Tech TTO Temperature Gauge for $35. However, this gauge needs to be plumbed into the oil line for a proper installation, so I waited to install the temperature gauge until I had installed my oil cooler.

I installed my oil cooler for less than $100 in parts, minus the TTO Temperature gauge. I invested another $50 to purchase the TTO Temperature Gauge, and the brass fittings needed to plumb it into the oil line. With only $100 invested in the complete oil cooler, I refused to spend $40, plus shipping, for the crappy XRs Only Temperature Gauge, which I would only discard. :roll: If it wouldn't have cost me so much, I would have gladly, and prudently been recording engine temperatures for many miles before I decide to install an oil cooler. However, I didn't want to waste money on a poorly designed, analogue temperature gauge I was just going to throw away. 8)

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #101

That all makes perfect sense. I just like to quantify everything.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:06 AM   #102

Yesterday I went riding with my oil cooler, and an unmodified front fender. Riding at full throttle on the freeway, my oil temperature reached 250 degrees, and was still rising. 8O Therefore, I went home and drilled some holes in my front fender.

Today I mounted my perforated front fender, and went on a 110-mile ride to test it.

Riding full throttle on the freeway for 26 miles, my oil temperature reached 258 degrees. Slowing down to 65 mph for the last three miles before my planned exit, my oil temperature quickly declined to 250 degrees.

I estimate the perforations in the front fender have reduced oil temperatures about 20 degrees. My oil cooler is working very well, and I am pleased with this modification. I shudder to think how high my oil temperatures were reaching before I installed this oil cooler. 8O

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #103

Awesome Spud! I love it!

Looks like a great day.

I'm impressed that you live in a place where you can run a 90-100 MPH bike at full throttle for extended periods of time and not go to jail or the hoispital. God Bless America! I of course got 2 tickets on the same day in Idaho, but I was obviously in the wrong place at the wrong time, twice.

The cooler looks and works great. The TTO is nicely installed as well. Indeed overall your 650 is about the best/nicest dirt oriented one I've ever seen.

Are you on TT also? I think I've seen you there. The Honda boys will be impressed for sure.

It's interesting how high those temps run.

This EXPLAINS why my well cared for XR250 cracked it's head at 28,000 miles or something like that. I ran that bike in the dirt but also as a commuter in the San Francisco Bay Area for years. I'd run it 75 MPH up to 85 on the freeway a lot, almost daily. Sometimes from San Jose to Oakland or Berkley. I bet it overheated the head.

Even with the cooler those are some warm numbers.

My Vette runs 180-190 cruising. The airplane 140-190 depending on many factors. Those are all I have with OT gauges.

I love this project Brother Spud! Interesting.

BTW, looks like you used the step drill. Excellent look!

Old 04-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #104

Wow! I'm shocked at those temps. A very worthwhile upgrade, indeed.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #105

Quote:
Awesome Spud! I love it!

Looks like a great day.

I'm impressed that you live in a place where you can run a 90-100 MPH bike at full throttle for extended periods of time and not go to jail or the hoispital. God Bless America! I of course got 2 tickets on the same day in Idaho, but I was obviously in the wrong place at the wrong time, twice. ...
Well, I was riding more like 80-85 mph, at high elevations, against an Idaho headwind. Nevertheless, I was passing quite a few cars on the freeway.
Quote:
...The cooler looks and works great. The TTO is nicely installed as well. Indeed overall your 650 is about the best/nicest dirt oriented one I've ever seen.

Are you on TT also? I think I've seen you there. The Honda boys will be impressed for sure. ...
Thank you, Brother Bill. I have one slight reservation with this oil cooler. I believe the front wheel will hit the oil cooler if the forks are fully compressed. I expressed this concern with Brother Andy. However, Andy thought I would never press the bike hard enough to use up all 11.6 inches of fork travel, and I think he's correct.
Quote:
...It's interesting how high those temps run.

This EXPLAINS why my well cared for XR250 cracked it's head at 28,000 miles or something like that. I ran that bike in the dirt but also as a commuter in the San Francisco Bay Area for years. I'd run it 75 MPH up to 85 on the freeway a lot, almost daily. Sometimes from San Jose to Oakland or Berkley. I bet it overheated the head...
I'm sure that's what happened, Doc. Honda had an oil cooler on some model years of the XR250, but I guess they removed it to maximize corporate profits. :roll: I have read the Honda engineers wanted to put an oil cooler on the XR650L, but the "bean counters" overruled them.
Quote:
...BTW, looks like you used the step drill. Excellent look!
Indeed, I did use a step drill. It worked great! I can't imagine how difficult the job would have been without a step drill; thank you for the excellent advice. Indeed, I wouldn't want to try and cut slots in that plastic, either. Once again, I thank you and Weldangrind for your excellent counsel.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220