Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #91

The Lifan bike would be much easier to make a Brat-style with, due to the twin shocks.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #92

Send a message via Skype™ to Daeouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
The Zongshen Storm V250 is virtually the same bike as the Yamaha Virago. However, the Zong will cost a lot less money.
Unfortunately I have yet to find a reliable source for one. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger View Post
Yep. I like spokes. I would try to make the Zong look more like the yamaha. Likely some of the parts with fit. Lifan also made a version too.

[Lifan did? Any links to it?] EDIT: Found it. . .
http://www.extreme-scooters.com/lifa...Motorcycle.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc View Post
Can you Photoshop in lower handlebars? Drag bars maybe?
I can try. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
The Lifan bike would be much easier to make a Brat-style with, due to the twin shocks.
I shall keep it in mind. . .

Last edited by Daeouse; 02-11-2014 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Did more research

Old 02-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #93

Are you at all interested in sport bikes? I think that a Zongshen ZS250GS could be a fun machine, and there is a ton of parts available for cheap on Taobao. It has the same basic bottom end as a Yamaha TW200 / XT225 / TTR-230.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #94

Quote:
Are you at all interested in sport bikes? I think that a Zongshen ZS250GS could be a fun machine, and there is a ton of parts available for cheap on Taobao. It has the same basic bottom end as a Yamaha TW200 / XT225 / TTR-230.

Any Idea where to acquire one? Google has failed me so far. . . (5 min search)

UPDATE: Zongshen does not offer any of their motorcycles for sale in North America. http://www.zongshenpem.com/corporate/faq.html

Last edited by Daeouse; 02-12-2014 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Researched Motorcycle

Old 02-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #95

If I was going to get a new sport-bike straight from the manufacturer, I'd get this one: http://www.extreme-scooters.com/jinl...Motorcycle.htm

It's received decent reviews online that I've seen.

AND A STREET-FIGHTER MODDED ONE!!!

Old 02-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #96

You'll only find a ZS250GS on Craigslist, since they're not distributed here anymore. When you do find one, it'll be cheap as chips, and parts are similarly priced.

The ZS doesn't have the hard, aggressive lines that the Jinlun bike has, but it doesn't have a lower fairing (which is a good thing, IMHO). The ZS has Yamaha architecture, and I think it would be a good long term decision, once properly prepared.

Do a search on this forum for the ZS250GS, and you'll find where one member had one with a loose cam sprocket bolt. I suspect that they're all like that, so people virtually give 'em away. Doc had one, and he promptly unloaded it.

A new cam is around $15.00 US (not joking), and the rest of the parts are in that range. A little red Loctite on the cam sprocket bolt would keep it nice and tight, which is a step that the factory probably missed.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:36 PM   #97

A quick Craigslist search turned up one in Tallahassee for only $200.00. http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/mcd/4330680968.html

Here's another in Pembroke Pines for $900.00. http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/4255758623.html

Old 02-13-2014, 05:05 PM   #98

Quote:
A quick Craigslist search turned up one in Tallahassee for only $200.00. http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/mcd/4330680968.html

Here's another in Pembroke Pines for $900.00. http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/4255758623.html
*foams at mouth and runs off to do budget balancing*

Old 02-13-2014, 10:45 PM   #99

If you grab one, I recommend that you apply red Loctite to the cam sprocket bolt before putting any miles on it.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #100

Quote:
If you grab one, I recommend that you apply red Loctite to the cam sprocket bolt before putting any miles on it.
If I do, I will definitely take your advice.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:51 AM   #101

Any luck with budget balancing? If the answer is no, I can certainly identify. Any other bikes on your local CL that interest you?

Old 02-15-2014, 09:10 AM   #102

Quote:
Any luck with budget balancing? If the answer is no, I can certainly identify. Any other bikes on your local CL that interest you?
Unfortunately, no. :(
I saved the posting, and will be checking it periodically to see if it sells before my tax money comes in. I have a family member who is a commercial driver who could, in theory, pick it up for me. I hope I can get my hands on it if possible.

Today the roommate and I will be heading to the salvage/scrap yard, so we might be able to acquire something interesting. We'll see though.

Last edited by Daeouse; 02-15-2014 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Not enough coffee

Old 02-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #103

Could your commercial driver family member grab this for you? http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/mcd/4330680968.html I'd be all over that, even just for the motor.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:03 AM   #104

Quote:
Could your commercial driver family member grab this for you? http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/mcd/4330680968.html I'd be all over that, even just for the motor.
I still haven't heard from my family member yet. I'll try to call him tomorrow if possible.

On the topic of the salvage yard, I found out they had a Kawasaki 450LTD there for around $225. Its a bit battered and needs a bit of work, but apparently it runs. The Salvage guy claims he can get me a salvage title for the bike, so maybe its worth it.
Unfortunately I didn't get any pics because I'm a massive idiot and forgot my cell-phone with the camera on it.
I'm just wondering if its worth getting. My roomie says hold off for a Virago I found on Craigslist, so maybe that's in the proverbial cards.

Last edited by Daeouse; 02-16-2014 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Memory holes. . .

Old 02-16-2014, 01:33 AM   #105

I'm pretty sure the LTD is a Kawasaki. It could make an interesting brat style, like this one: