Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2022, 06:55 AM   #1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
I am worried ,”tied up in Knoxville ,Tn tonight “ gets me thinking of barefoot hillbillies and banjo’s .

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 07-01-2022, 08:13 AM   #1007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
I am worried ,”tied up in Knoxville ,Tn tonight “ gets me thinking of barefoot hillbillies and banjo’s .
Bubba: Well boys, looks lahk we got wunna dem northern boys comin' down hyah into our country. Watcha think we oughta do with him?
Cletus: Ah say string 'im up, Bubba!
Jim Bob: Now hold on a minute there Cletus. Yew know that Fat Daisy has been lookin' fer a fella for quite a while now. And her uncle might wanna git summa that action too.....
Boris: Nyet! He come with us! Igor, cut rope while I hold rifle on hillbillies.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 07-01-2022, 08:57 AM   #1008

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
Bubba: Well boys, looks lahk we got wunna dem northern boys comin' down hyah into our country. Watcha think we oughta do with him?
Cletus: Ah say string 'im up, Bubba!
Jim Bob: Now hold on a minute there Cletus. Yew know that Fat Daisy has been lookin' fer a fella for quite a while now. And her uncle might wanna git summa that action too.....
Boris: Nyet! He come with us! Igor, cut rope while I hold rifle on hillbillies.
You guys got it all wrong. Knoxville is the location for the University of Tennessee. you should be thinking coeds!

Old 07-01-2022, 09:01 AM   #1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
You guys got it all wrong. Knoxville is the location for the University of Tennessee. you should be thinking coeds!
Ooooohhhh.....
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.

Old 07-01-2022, 11:10 AM   #1010

Hey, it’s better than the Game of Thrones ending! Lol! Keep us posted!
1975 Corvette
2017 Chevy Bolt

“Throttle twisting geek” -LFN

Old 07-01-2022, 07:27 PM   #1011

Congratulations on your retirement! And about that zen moment.. you're absolutely right that you just let it go. That's what's its all about in these situations.

Don't know about the others, but i will anxiously wait for the 60's prequel series... I can even imagine it as something like this:

Summer 1969. "House of the rising sun" is playing in the background, and the cinematography is all in this stereotypical faded, worn out, warm color palette they always use to show 60s.
Some heavy machinery production plant, with a fancy radio receiver standing on a table under "Smoking zone" sign.
Music is interrupted by news. "Today, in his press conference, president Nixon confirmed that the policy of Vietnamization will guarantee swift and decisive resolution of the conflict".
Two guys in their 30s, both with elvis-styled pompadours are talking about work and their new co-worker. "Now, what's his nickname again? Soon he'll understand what mess he got himself into by taking this job.. I don't know how we gonna solve that wiring problem with that crazy deadline. By the way, are you going to that music festival on August 15? ".

Doors are slam opened with a kick, "Sam and Dave - Hold on, i'm coming" starts playing, and young Cheesy enters the scene, in his bell-bottomed jeans and with a huge horseshoe moustache.
- So, guys, what's the problem with that wiring, again? Lemme take a look...

Old 07-01-2022, 10:04 PM   #1012

Vlad87, n'am stiut sinteti din Moldova! Cint am fost in armata de SUA, am lucrat doi ani in Ambasada de SUA in Buchuresti. Pina la 1987 de la 1989. Sinteti in Transnistria? Sau Chisinau? De ce limba engleza asa bun?

I'm picturing young cheesy being played by a young Chuck Norris.

Old 07-02-2022, 07:06 AM   #1013

Hey, Tomin, you sure spent that time of service in Romania meaningfully - your Romanian is perfect ) I am a citizen of Moldova, but from a Russian-speaking minority, so actually my Romanian is much worse that Russian or English - i can understand written texts, but can hardly say anything apart from saying hello, goodbye, and thanks )

I am in Chisinau, returned here about 4 years ago. Born in 87, in russian North Caucasus, i've lived most of my life either at Moldova or Russian south. Actually, my English, while better than my Romanian, is far from perfect too - looks like i'm either too lazy or not too talented in learning languages ) Mom is an interpreter, and i work as a QA Test Automation Engineer, so, it just comes naturally.

Old 07-02-2022, 07:44 AM   #1014

I got home late yesterday. Traffic sucked the entire way but the Chevy with its little v8 managed 19+ MPG. I haven't heard anymore about 'big changes' and frankly, I don't care. I did get some work related phone stuff, though.

One was a call from a customer I hadn't heard from in years. He was just looking for our office number. I gave it to him and BS'd a bit, then told him I'd retired the day before. He congratulated me, thanked me for my help over the years, and finished with "Your company is fcuked without you".

Next, I got an email notification, which means that they haven't shut down my email yet. It was from Charlie to the entire Service staff looking for a part number. I've told him this part number at least a dozen times. I ignored it until I got home.
I busted out laughing after I read it. In a nutshell, two of the guys responded with "I need to look that up". One with "I don't know but I bet Mike knows it off the top of his head". Mike does, but Mike also knows what questions to ask the customer to assure that the correct part is being ordered. Harold responds with "I think it's 844.XXX". Um no Harold, that's wrong.

The next few weeks are going to be entertaining for all off us.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 07-02-2022, 07:51 AM   #1015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad87 View Post
Hey, Tomin, you sure spent that time of service in Romania meaningfully - your Romanian is perfect ) I am a citizen of Moldova, but from a Russian-speaking minority, so actually my Romanian is much worse than Russian or English - i can understand written texts, but can hardly say anything apart from saying hello, goodbye, and thanks )

I am in Chisinau, returned here about 4 years ago. Born in 87, in russian North Caucasus, i've lived most of my life either at Moldova or Russian south. Actually, my English, while better than my Romanian, is far from perfect too - looks like i'm either too lazy or not too talented in learning languages ) Mom is an interpreter, and i work as a QA Test Automation Engineer, so, it just comes naturally.
Actually your English is excellent. No hint that you are not a native speaker. The Army taught me Japanese, Chinese and Romanian. Literally my full time job was learning languages for about 2 1/2 years out of 21. I worked in the US Embassy in Bejing from 1983 - 86.

If I had it to do over again, I would have focused on Russian from the start and stayed with it. Very broadly useful skill, and it would be as good as your English is by now. But my Russian is about where your Romanian is! Less actually. I am learning it on my own, just for fun. Back in the early 70s I totally bought into the Russia evil-empire propaganda and hated Russians, so avoided taking the language.

I keep up on what's going on over there, so am wondering how the ethnic Moldovans (Romanians) are treating the ethnic Russians? Is it chill or dicey?

Old 07-02-2022, 07:59 AM   #1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
I got home late yesterday. Traffic sucked the entire way but the Chevy with its little v8 managed 19+ MPG. I haven't heard anymore about 'big changes' and frankly, I don't care. I did get some work related phone stuff, though.

One was a call from a customer I hadn't heard from in years. He was just looking for our office number. I gave it to him and BS'd a bit, then told him I'd retired the day before. He congratulated me, thanked me for my help over the years, and finished with "Your company is fcuked without you".

Next, I got an email notification, which means that they haven't shut down my email yet. It was from Charlie to the entire Service staff looking for a part number. I've told him this part number at least a dozen times. I ignored it until I got home.
I busted out laughing after I read it. In a nutshell, two of the guys responded with "I need to look that up". One with "I don't know but I bet Mike knows it off the top of his head". Mike does, but Mike also knows what questions to ask the customer to assure that the correct part is being ordered. Harold responds with "I think it's 844.XXX". Um no Harold, that's wrong.

The next few weeks are going to be entertaining for all of us.
As they realize with growing horror how much they relied on you, they will be going through the five stages of grief.....so happy that the entertainment will continue, at least for a while.

Old 07-04-2022, 08:10 PM   #1017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
Actually your English is excellent. No hint that you are not a native speaker. The Army taught me Japanese, Chinese and Romanian. Literally my full time job was learning languages for about 2 1/2 years out of 21. I worked in the US Embassy in Bejing from 1983 - 86.

If I had it to do over again, I would have focused on Russian from the start and stayed with it. Very broadly useful skill, and it would be as good as your English is by now. But my Russian is about where your Romanian is! Less actually. I am learning it on my own, just for fun. Back in the early 70s I totally bought into the Russia evil-empire propaganda and hated Russians, so avoided taking the language.

I keep up on what's going on over there, so am wondering how the ethnic Moldovans (Romanians) are treating the ethnic Russians? Is it chill or dicey?
Wow, you've been to so many places during turbulent times of change ) I can hardly imagine what China looked like during the middle 80s. Its great that you decided to learn asian languages - Chinese is considered one of the most difficult for a foreign speaker to learn. Speaking of slavic languages, Russian is also quite hard one - mixed synthetic/analytic morphology, phonetics that are very different from germanic group (although, phonetics do not play such important role as in Chinese), a lot of exceptions due to archaisms and many loaned words from other languages, makes it quite interesting to learn as a foreign language. If you ever need any help in your studies, just let me know )

As for your last question, i would really like to avoid going into details and bring politics into motorcycle forum, especially during our troubled and turbulent times ) In general, relations between ordinary people are quite chill. But the local pro-romanian government brings surprises from time to time )
My current job gives me an opportunity to live, hangout with friends, ride my 200cc donkey (which is a blessing due to the current crazy gas prices), pay for healthcare and taxes, help my retired mother, and try to interact with authorities and their grand plans as little as possible. I guess, i am a bit of Bubba/cletus of sorts myself )))

Oh, and happy Fourth of July!

Last edited by Vlad87; 07-04-2022 at 08:45 PM.

Old 07-04-2022, 08:52 PM   #1018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad87 View Post
Wow, you've been to so many places during turbulent times of change ) I can hardly imagine what China looked like during the middle 80s. Its great that you decided to learn asian languages - Chinese is considered one of the most difficult for a foreign speaker to learn. Speaking of slavic languages, Russian is also quite hard one - mixed synthetic/analytic morphology, phonetics that are very different from germanic group (although, phonetics do not play such important role as in Chinese), a lot of exceptions due to archaisms and many loaned words from other languages, makes it quite interesting to learn as a foreign language. If you ever need any help in your studies, just let me know )

As for your last question, i would really like to avoid going into details and bring politics into motorcycle forum, especially during our troubled and turbulent times ) In general, relations between ordinary people are quite chill. But the local pro-romanian government brings surprises from time to time )
My current job gives me an opportunity to live, hangout with friends, ride my 200cc donkey (which is a blessing due to the current crazy gas prices), pay for healthcare and taxes, help my retired mother, and try to interact with authorities and their grand plans as little as possible. I guess, am a bit of Bubba/cletus of sorts myself )))

Oh, and happy Fourth of July!
Different languages have different areas of difficulty. With Chinese it's the written part and the tones used in speaking. After about a month of full-time study, I had no trouble with the tones, but the amount of time needed to learn to read, let alone write, Chinese or Japanese for that matter is ridiculous. No way you can become proficient in reading/writing in the 11 months I studied them. Chinese grammar is super easy though, surprisingly. Japanese is much more involved. Lots of groups and hierarchies that affect the words you use to address people.
-- Russian is a more European style of language, grammatically. Again no real problem, and having an alphabet you can learn in a couple of days is a huge luxury to me. With so many borrowed foreign words, that is helpful too. You can go from knowing absolutely nothing about Russian to sounding out written words in a matter of a few hours.
-- Just for fun I got hold of a copy of Tom Clancy's "The Hunt for Red October"--in Russian. Epic novel! Of course I have an English copy too. But that's a ways down the line. Right now I am re-reading his "Red Storm Rising".
-- My Romanian course was six months, and quite adequate. Having previously studied a little Latin, French and Spanish, Romanian seemed pretty familiar.
-- At 72 my ability to absorb languages is not what it once was, I have to admit; but the stimulation of learning is the fun part.

Not intending to get into politics. Jerry has slapped my hand a couple of times for that. Just wanted to know in general how your situation was.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:12 AM   #1019

ok, I'm bored now. anyone else got a clusterf**k going on at work we can follow?

Old 07-05-2022, 09:13 AM   #1020

No offense, but how about if you guys PM each other so you can continue your bromance in private, and keep this thread on subject?