Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2019, 11:45 PM   #76

They are already available, just wondering if someone had used one that doesn't have qc issues. I have used them before an have somthing similar on the vtx with no issues.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
1974 Suzuki tm125, work in progress
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:30 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck9191 View Post
They are already available, just wondering if someone had used one that doesn't have qc issues. I have used them before an have somthing similar on the vtx with no issues.
I couldn't find them for the PZ carbs at all - care to share more?

I once bought an end with a knob and it glued to the factory screw, that was on my 07 KTM tho.
I never found this product or anything that would could work on the PZ carb.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:20 PM   #78

PZ30B - Throttle Cable

My Keihin (or at least clone) came with the silver split throttle cable. I am using the stock throttle grip assembly. After hooking up I noticed it takes quite a bit of twist to get the throttle to open up fully. I didnt notice any binding issues etc just seems the cable is a hard pull. I am worried I am going to break the fragile looking hawk grip assembly.

Anyone else notice this ? I have a KLR with two cables for the Keihin CVk40 and it is no where as hard to twist that.

I went out for a long ride last night and noticed I was holding the grip so tight I was getting a hand cramp. I feel like the grip cover I have will slip otherwise (despite having grip glue on it)

Old 07-12-2019, 08:37 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtunimog View Post
My Keihin (or at least clone) came with the silver split throttle cable. I am using the stock throttle grip assembly. After hooking up I noticed it takes quite a bit of twist to get the throttle to open up fully. I didnt notice any binding issues etc just seems the cable is a hard pull. I am worried I am going to break the fragile looking hawk grip assembly.

Anyone else notice this ? I have a KLR with two cables for the Keihin CVk40 and it is no where as hard to twist that.

I went out for a long ride last night and noticed I was holding the grip so tight I was getting a hand cramp. I feel like the grip cover I have will slip otherwise (despite having grip glue on it)
You need the correct twist part as they differ due to different inner cable lengths.
Or the very least maybe a different cam in twist/hand part.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #80

My PZ30B installation experience. I have PZ30B that uses the snorkel type pilot jet. After spraying some brake cleaner in the accelerator nozzle I determined it was pointed at the wall of the throttle body and needed to be adjusted to center it. I took a round pin made of some pot metal sized to the nozzle hole and seat and thought it would be a quick tap out. Oh no, not to be. Take Dan’s advice and get something soft. It was tighter than any such meeting of metal could ever be and I deformed the nozzle end closing the squirt hole. I managed to push it out enough to turn it with a small pair of small vise grips and got the nozzle centered. I took a drill bit to the hole size and drilled out the end of the brass nozzle restoring the hole diameter and it works fine. Couple of weeks ago I installed it on my stock bike using my stock carb main jet of 110 and a 42 pilot jet. Seemed rich and I took that up and down to ½ turn with no change in idle and swapped out to a 40 pilot jet. I got the 40 to work at 1 turn out to best idle but not completely smooth. After riding the plug is a dark brown. This bike from day one has had a wandering idle of sorts from steady to up and down around 200 to 400 rpm with the stock carb and with PZ30B. No problems from idle to full throttle operation with any carb.

I also have another PZ30b that uses the quick start jet. I got some 40 pilot jets the other day so thought, hmmmmm this will be a quick throw in and idle speed adjustment. Spent the whole day yesterday trying to dial in that carb. I had cleaned it with brake cleaner and floats looked good. Installed on the bike and idled up and down staying up around 2000 rpm with no idle speed adjustment. Took it apart float adjustment was way off low. Adjusted to 14mm and reinstalled. Better with some adjustment but still high idle up and down. No drive ability issues past idle. Couple of times the idle slowly dropped until it died. This PZ30B had a needle that had a stamped number and came with 112 jet stamped with K. I had swapped the 110 jet from the other carb to duplicate the setting which is a jet from multiple jet pack from amazon. Comparing the two jets there appeared to be some slight difference in needle side shape so only thing could figure is the needle combined with the different jet was letting more fuel by during idle. I swapped the 112 jet back to the needle it came with and got it to idle better but it still has some issue with the idle and needs more research work. Seems some of these other tuning circuits have more of an influence on idle than the diagrams would suggest. The cold start pilot I installed is somewhat different and could be culprit.

To check the PZ30b pumper and nozzle I connected the detached carb to the fuel hose and used the shutoff valve to fill the bowl. I then actuated the pumper by hand. This gives a good idea of how to throttle it. You have to give it a good quick movement and travel to get it to squirt. Slow throttle movement has no affect. As Dan pointed out a quarter throttle grip is really a requirement.

PZ30B is an acceleration performance improvement. When I snap that throttle down through the gears all I can do is smile!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2247.jpg (91.3 KB, 441 views)

Last edited by China Rider 27; 07-21-2019 at 02:53 PM.

Old 07-27-2019, 04:42 PM   #81

Pz30b -

I got rid of my old VM26 because I was having some pretty bad issues with the low end. Put the PW30b, ran it about 200 miles (two long - well for a hawk - shake-down cruises) All seemed well. Went away for 10 days, came back and decided to take a spin this afternoon. right back to sputtering really bad up to 3/4-WOT. checked the plug and it was pretty black. noticed some dark smoke on reving. Also noticed I had about a full sight glass of oil so I assume I am dumping some gas into the oil. returned home and barely could make it up the hill to my house unless I was WOT

I did notice the screw (which I assume is fuel-air mixture) on the bottom of the bowl was easy to turn when I first did my setup. maybe my main jet is too large and my idle too small ? I think I used what came with it from Amazon if I recall. I think the main jet is a 115.

I am at a loss the bike ran perfectly last year for nearly 1500 miles.

first thing I am going to change the oil. Not that it will help but at least I won't be running overfull loaded oil anymore.

Last edited by Vtunimog; 07-27-2019 at 09:05 PM.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #82

Last full set going cheaper

https://instagram.com/p/B2BR7sKHt4v/

Old 09-08-2020, 03:42 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
Here pix of the jet. Has Keihin stamp symbol and says 33. This carb is stamped also with "You all" but in a different place. The bowl has Russia Standard on it. Could be making two different carbs with different jets? Anyone recognize this jet?
Did you find a jet kit for these?

Old 09-08-2020, 02:12 PM   #84

Called a "cold start pilot jet". Here is a link to one on Ebay but you might look for a set. I would check amazon too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Modified-ca...gAAOSwnihdnNpq

Old 09-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #85

Would this carb work for my taotao 250? And also would this be a good carb for my bike? I am looking to buy a new carb for mine and a new throttle cable.

Old 09-09-2020, 02:43 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etruett View Post
Would this carb work for my taotao 250? And also would this be a good carb for my bike? I am looking to buy a new carb for mine and a new throttle cable.
I like it and it still sits on my HAWK 250, despite the new wave of 28 and 30 mm smooth bore carburetors. But then I also like the stock PZ30 too. Contrary to all this top speed stuff the real fun of these bikes is getting to top speed in a hurry and I love the acceleration of this carb but I also have really low gearing that makes a difference. A downside is the pilot screw adjustment remains on the bottom like the stock carb whereas, the PE28 and PE30 can be adjusted easily on the side. I would look at all the options available were I to upgrade carburetors and make a careful decision as they all present install issues unique to the design. Also I would by pass the Mikuni VM26 not because it is a bad carburetor but because as Megadan explained, "it offers no performance improvement."

Old 09-09-2020, 07:03 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
Called a "cold start pilot jet". Here is a link to one on Ebay but you might look for a set. I would check amazon too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Modified-ca...gAAOSwnihdnNpq
Normally the pilot has a brass tube with holes that can be removed from the carb body and cleaned out. I wonder why the "cold start pilot jets" you shared are made without the brass tube w/ holes and if the design would be more prone to clogging.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:24 AM   #88

Hey all. Lots of 250cc info on this thread. Has anyone ever put a PZ30 pumper on a 150? This is for. A 2020 rps viper 150. Just wondering if it would be too big of a carb. Would like to eliminate the trademark low end big the bike has stock.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:28 AM   #89

Likely to big.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
1974 Suzuki tm125, work in progress
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:35 AM   #90

For reference the viper comes with a pz27 stock. Same size as stock hawk carb right?