Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloud
Hmm maybe I should buy a new one for my 78 DT175. It still connects but it is a bear to get on and off. But most likely they are No longer available.
It's well worth a look. The new tube is identical, but it's much softer and easier to work with.
Did you have much trouble prying out the old tube, Weld? If so, can you offer any tips? Sometime in the future I might be replacing the same tube on my Zong.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-21-2012, 12:59 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Did you have much trouble prying out the old tube, Weld? If so, can you offer any tips? Sometime in the future I might be replacing the same tube on my Zong.
Lots of trouble, until I sacrificed it. I literally pounded it with a hammer and a giant screwdriver, rotating the tube as I went. It eventually popped out. I was careful to not damage the airbox, so there's no evidence.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-21-2012, 01:08 AM   #78

I have a really cool Acerbis DS headlight that I traded some labour for, so I tried to install it. It mounts like a headlight on a dirt bike, which is by rubber straps. The trouble is that the fork diameter is 33mm, and the straps are suited to something closer to 43mm.

I wondered how I could increase the diameter of the fork tube to accept the straps, and considered some stainless tube. The extra weight and the cost halted that idea.

The solution came in the form of 1-1/4" ABS tube. It weighs very little, and a four foot piece costs $8.00 at the local Rona hardware store. I even had a gift card in my wallet. It is labelled as 32mm, but it's actually 34mm, which is perfect for me.

I measured the distance between the triple trees, and subtracted the thickness of two o-rings that have a 33mm ID. Hopefully, an o-ring above and below the ABS will keep it from rattling. I cut two pieces, sanded the ends smooth and wiped the lettering off of the ABS with some carb cleaner. This is what the ABS looks like on the fork leg:

I like the cheap solutions.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-21-2012, 01:42 AM   #79

That solution is not only inexpensive, it is elegant. Bravo!

As you know, one Zongshen fuel tank is now in transit to your home; I certainly hope it fits your TW200!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-21-2012, 02:26 AM   #80

Me too. I'm guessing that it lacks the bungs for the side panels, but that's really minor if it gets my bike running soon. I can always look for an XT tank on eBay or save up for a Clarke, since they now make TW tanks.

I can even repair my original tank, but it's very rusty.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #81

It looks like this is the bike you'll be riding in Odessa?

Old 03-22-2012, 01:58 AM   #82

I really hope so. I haven't been able to start it yet; I'm hoping to get that far this weekend.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #83

Some minor progress last night.

Removed the front forks, drained the goo out of them and flushed them with ATF. Once I was satisfied, I filled each leg with 250ml of Castrol 10W non-detergent oil. The manual says 240ml, but the consensus on a TW forum is to add more. I figure I can get two fork oil changes of 250ml each with a one litre bottle, so I'm trying that.

I also cleaned the stock TW fuel valve and filled the tank with rust remover, in case the tank that Spud is sending doesn't fit. The TW tank is ugly, but it doesn't leak. I found a Youtube video where a guy removed dents from a tank by stuffing a blood pressure cuff inside and pumping it up; I think that's brilliant! I might try it in the future.

I need to buy one more LED indicator for the dash, then I can start dash construction.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #84

I'd have never thought a BP cuff would expand a dent from a metal tank. They only go up to 300mm/Hg.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #85

Yeah, that's just under 6psi, but he caught it on video.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #86

Quote:
Yeah, that's just under 6psi, but he caught it on video.
That's impressive. I wonder if he used "smoke and mirrors" to create the video?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #87

Did you receive the Zongshen fuel tank, Weld? What's the prognosis?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-23-2012, 01:53 AM   #88

Quote:

Spud
No tank yet. I called Letterlock, but it hadn't arrived at that time. Fedex says it arrived after 2:00, and I think that was just after I called.

I'll make the journey across the border tomorrow.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:57 AM   #89

Oh man, I hope they caught the guy who decided to use loose ball bearings in the steering neck! When they fall on the concrete, they bounce away and then call their friends to do the same. :x

At least I got the bearings repacked tonight, and the steering doesn't feel notchy anymore. I also got both ABS tubes installed and was able to mock up the new Acerbis headlight; I think it will work out nicely.

I pounded the wheel bearings out, and I'll take them into the bearing shop tomorrow for replacements.

The rust within the stock tank is coming off nicely, so it'll be a suitable backup if Spud's tank won't fit.

I sure hope the bike starts this weekend. 8O

Old 03-23-2012, 02:04 AM   #90

Quote:
Quote:

Spud
No tank yet. I called Letterlock, but it hadn't arrived at that time. Fedex says it arrived after 2:00, and I think that was just after I called.

I'll make the journey across the border tomorrow.
Be careful smuggling that communist Chinese contraband across international borders! 8O

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220