Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #76

No brackets for the relays under the seat in my bike. Can you post a pic of your relays secured in brackets? Maybe my bike is missing a part?

Charles.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:17 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
No brackets for the relays under the seat in my bike. Can you post a pic of your relays secured in brackets? Maybe my bike is missing a part?

Charles.
Charles,

The brackets are just hard to perceive. Just aft of the battery tray is a set of four largish tabs sticking up nearly vertically, formed from a single, black-painted steel sheet or stamping. Each of those tabs is the right size to fit into a slot on a relay.

It's sort of weird that they are mounted in that position, but it frees up room to carry a small backpack, as I mentioned earlier. I recommend this one, that has straps instead of the usual strings:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L6TM5PG/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got the orange one, a nice bright high-visibility color.

Another thing you can do to increase the available storage room is pull more of the taillight harness back under the fender, securing it there with zip ties. That is, assuming your taillight harness is occupying excessive space like mine was.

Buc

Last edited by Buccaneer; 02-20-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #78

I'm not seeing any brackets aft of the battery. Maybe I have a part missing? I'd love to see a photo of your under seat area. Here's mine.

Charles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5397.jpg (92.2 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5398.jpg (90.1 KB, 390 views)

Old 02-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #79

Dimensions of the Seat

What is the width, length, and thickness of the SSR Buccaneer 250 Classic’s seat?
Is it very comfortable? How about the rider’s comfort? If you’re 6 feet or taller, can you ride very far comfortable?
How do the dimensions of the Buccaneer 250 compare to the CSC San Gabriel?
I’m hoping there is more room for larger riders on the Buccaneer. When I tested the CSC San Gabriel I was rather cramped up. Not much room for my legs and arms. Very crowded feeling.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #80

The San Gabriel has a 27" seat height, the Buccaneer has a 31" seat height. It's a full-size motorcycle, where the San Gabriel is more of a 3/4 sized bike. I find the seat very comfortable, with the caveat that on the Cafe version, you're plugged into the seat as if you're both made of Lego. No movement fore or aft is possible. I found it very comfortable for a 2 hour ride. That same ride on my SCR950 would have me squirming in pain. On the Buccaneer it was no big deal.

That said, if you have long legs you'll still be a little cramped. Not as bad as the CSC I think, but still cramped. The pegs are pretty high. I'm 5'9" and I fit the bike very well, but I only have a 32 inseam.

Charles.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:10 PM   #81

I'm a full-sized guy, and it doesn't look or feel like a small bike to me.

Charles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP3598.jpg (90.5 KB, 404 views)

Old 02-14-2019, 05:23 PM   #82

That's a nice size bike. I thought it would be smaller. Look s good. If the brakes are pulsing I would try cleaning the rotors with brake cleaner. It may still have the shipping rust inhibitor on them.
2022 Lifan KPX250
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 02-14-2019, 06:25 PM   #83

Very nice bike. The more I see it the more I like it. Thanks for the pic.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:32 PM   #84

Rode it today and the pulsing was gone. So that’s nice!

Charles.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:35 PM   #85

Quote:
I'm not seeing any brackets aft of the battery. Maybe I have a part missing? I'd love to see a photo of your under seat area. Here's mine.
Charles.
I was at work and unable to look at my bike. There are three relays, of course, not four. The tabs are part of the retaining plate that lies over the battery, on my bike, secured by the four stainless round-head Allen screws. In the photo below two of the relays are seated on their tabs, and third has been pulled off.

So, yes, you're missing a part!

Buc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190214_182814363.jpg (99.1 KB, 361 views)

Last edited by Buccaneer; 02-20-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #86

I emphasized in my review that it's a full-size bike, and Charles's photo backs that up!

Back in November, 2016, I started a Buccaneer 250 thread on a Moto Guzzi board (wildguzzi.com). Many were quite enthusiastic!

Anyway, I prepared a series of comparisons of the Buccaneer with various other models, carefully placing them on the same scale by using published information on the wheelbases. (I made little "measuring rods" to resize the various photos to the correct measurements from axle to axle, to the nearest pixel.)

Here is one such comparison that might give a good idea of the Buccaneer's size. The bikes are a Guzzi V7II Racer (750 cc) and an older Moto Morini 250. The Buck really is as big as the Guzzi in profile, as represented! (Of course it also weighs a claimed 136 lbs less, and the components are dissimilar in many ways.) The Buccaneer dwarfs the Morini 250. Later I found the Cyclewerks Misfit, which I had been considering, very disappointing when I saw the two side-by-side. Once I made that comparison, I was hooked.

Buc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSR vs V7 Racer vs Morini 250.jpg (78.0 KB, 389 views)

Last edited by Buccaneer; 02-20-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:50 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cylinderwonder View Post
What is the width, length, and thickness of the SSR Buccaneer 250 Classic’s seat?
Is it very comfortable? How about the rider’s comfort? If you’re 6 feet or taller, can you ride very far comfortable?
I bought a Classic seat in addition to the one that came on my Cafe. Measured across the top panel, it is about 20 1/2" long and 7 1/2" wide. It's really more a 1 1/2 seater instead of a full two-seater.

I find the narrow Cafe seat is more comfortable for me, and my wife won't go near the Classic one because she thinks it is too short. <sigh>

Quote:
How do the dimensions of the Buccaneer 250 compare to the CSC San Gabriel?
I’m hoping there is more room for larger riders on the Buccaneer. When I tested the CSC San Gabriel I was rather cramped up. Not much room for my legs and arms. Very crowded feeling.
You can see the weight and some dimensions on that comparison graphic I just posted. That should give you an idea of the San Gabriel comparison.

Buc

Last edited by Buccaneer; 02-20-2019 at 09:37 AM.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #88

Dealership ordered a battery bracket for me, and I'm getting a new cowl as well. Both under warranty!

Charles.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #89

Ya know, I was thinking about the cowl. If one were to cut the foam out under the cowl and then recover the seat, there'd be some extra storage space available.

Charles.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #90

Quote:
Ya know, I was thinking about the cowl. If one were to cut the foam out under the cowl and then recover the seat, there'd be some extra storage space available.

Charles.
I thought about carving out a recess just big enough for an espresso cup, so that I can drink in style when I'm at a shop that tries to serve me in a paper cup! But I decided I was getting too eccentric.

I wish that the seat underneath the cowl were flat instead of humped. It's hard to see what the advantage of that hump is. Maybe it's to encourage us to buy the flat seat too (as I did).

Buc

Last edited by Buccaneer; 02-20-2019 at 09:37 AM.