Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2020, 11:32 PM   #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician16 View Post
I'm a snowbird, living in Chandler in the winter. I plan on getting a bike in AZ when I get there, but I don't think I'd have it ready by the 7th. Looks like a fun trip for you guys.
I figured we would have more rides after last year's ride, but did not. In the meantime, I was poking around the net and came across the Arizona Peace Trail. It is a 750 mile loop trail that is located in the 3 westernmost Arizona counties including Yuma (where I live), La Paz, and Mohave Counties. Of course, doing the entire loop is a vacation/commitment (about a week's time), but I figured we could do a section round trip for a day's ride, or even attempt an overnight sometime in the later fall or wintertime. Or more Phoenix region rides. Once the weather cools off, there are a lot of places to explore in AZ.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-14-2020, 11:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I figured we would have more rides after last year's ride, but did not. In the meantime, I was poking around the net and came across the Arizona Peace Trail. It is a 750 mile loop trail that is located in the 3 westernmost Arizona counties including Yuma (where I live), La Paz, and Mohave Counties. Of course, doing the entire loop is a vacation/commitment (about a week's time), but I figured we could do a section round trip for a day's ride, or even attempt an overnight sometime in the later fall or wintertime. Or more Phoenix region rides. Once the weather cools off, there are a lot of places to explore in AZ.
Tried exploring the Mohave County leg of the Peace Trail earlier this summer in my wife's tired Navigator. When we got there the 4x4 hubs gave us problems, so we didn't get far but saw some great scenery nonetheless. I visit that area frequently, and early spring is my favorite. Good weather and wildflowers.

Old 10-15-2020, 12:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh View Post
Tried exploring the Mohave County leg of the Peace Trail earlier this summer in my wife's tired Navigator. When we got there the 4x4 hubs gave us problems, so we didn't get far but saw some great scenery nonetheless. I visit that area frequently, and early spring is my favorite. Good weather and wildflowers.
I have not seen any of the trail with my own eyes, but where the route swings from east to west to north to south in Yuma County, that is where the scenery gets a bit more interesting since it starts to follow the Colorado River. It looks a bit more interesting that way until at least Quartzite on I 10. I don't recall if it goes inland from there (boring desert landscape) until Mohave County. It does get to some higher elevations as some people have talked about hitting relatively deep snow and spending a night in some rustic cabins they rented in the snow. I do know that even in the boring desert parts (such as along the eastern north-south part like where it crosses I 10 again) there are old mining towns with some remnants which should break up the monotony. That is where we would most likely have a group ride since that would theoretically be the closest bits to the majority of members in the Phoenix region who could simply get on I 10 and head west if we were to try a day ride on a section of the Peace Trail later in the fall or winter.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-14-2020, 01:42 PM   #4

In order to help people visualize the exact location, is this correct?

https://i.imgur.com/j8T9hHF.jpg

Old 10-15-2020, 09:29 AM   #5

I'm fine either way, at least we know the hazards on the wickenburg trail
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 10-15-2020, 10:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_in_az View Post
that's right! I did an alternate route by my self to Wickenburg one time and found myself on a steep hill and the engine of course died and I was perched on the slope with a heavy Brozz. I have since avoided that part of the route.

Meetup same location as last year between 8am -9am.
The coordinates mentioned earlier are
33°39'40.95"N
112°31'45.81"W

Old 10-15-2020, 10:23 AM   #7

Sure wish I could take some time off and join the group. It would be a pleasure meeting all you guys.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Sure wish I could take some time off and join the group. It would be a pleasure meeting all you guys.
We’d love to have you along! Any chance you could make it? If not this year, I’m getting the feeling that we’ll be doing this again next year.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-15-2020, 10:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
We’d love to have you along! Any chance you could make it? If not this year, I’m getting the feeling that we’ll be doing this again next year.
Do they allow UTV's and ATV's? I know my daughter would be up to it for sure. Not so sure about the wife. That would be a long trip for her on the ATV. I know there are a few free campgrounds around that area. Might be a good vacation. I would need a two week vacation. It about 1500 mile trip one way.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-16-2020, 04:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Excellent fun trip for these 250's

Old 10-20-2020, 11:06 AM   #11

I searched through the thread and it sounds like anyone who might be camping might be doing so BEFORE the ride, at the staging area in Surprise? Not after? I couldn't find any solid plans on what people are doing after Wickenburg. I live in Peoria, so my time and route are easy and flexible. Also, if anyone needs a well-equipped shop for anything, let me know, my garage is open. I'm at the far north end of 67th Ave.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post
I searched through the thread and it sounds like anyone who might be camping might be doing so BEFORE the ride, at the staging area in Surprise? Not after? I couldn't find any solid plans on what people are doing after Wickenburg. I live in Peoria, so my time and route are easy and flexible. Also, if anyone needs a well-equipped shop for anything, let me know, my garage is open. I'm at the far north end of 67th Ave.
The camping suggestion was from last years ride. At this years meetup location is not really a place to camp. I guess it could be done. I've never seen it there though. The camping would be at the boulders OHV park off of Hwy 74 closer to Lake Pleasant.

Old 10-23-2020, 11:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post
did we meet last year when Tako was visiting? you had an RX3 and I think I met him at your house.
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 10-23-2020, 01:29 PM   #14

Quote:
did we meet last year when Tako was visiting? you had an RX3 and I think I met him at your house.
Yup, that was me. I sold the RX3, now have a KTM 390 Adventure.

Old 10-24-2020, 05:33 AM   #15

Is there room for one more? A buddy of mine has a BMW GS and was lamenting that he doesn't get any riding in. Would anyone mind if something as huge as a GS joined us? I'm not sure he does much in the way of off-roading, but maybe I can convince him that getting the big GS on the dirt might make Charlie and Ewan magically appear...

I didn't want to just invite him to come along without at least getting the ok from you guys. Thoughts?

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Tags
250, wickenburg