Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #76

The picture is of a solenoid, not an ISO relay (like mq1991 posted). MQ, that is an excellent description of how a relay works, but it is somewhat dissimilar from a solenoid. There are usually no terminal numbers on a solenoid.

The solenoid simply has two large gauge terminals; one from the battery and one to the starter, plus one (or two) small trigger wire(s). Some of the solenoids simply ground to the housing, whereas others have a dedicated ground wire.

In either case, when the solenoid is closed, the two large terminals will have continuity, with no resistance. I suspect this solenoid has failed, since it looks like the plastic is melted at the base of one of the studs (under the black cover).

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
It does appear to be well made ... superior to the plastic one.
Yep. The early ones used to love to fall off after a while.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
The picture is of a solenoid, not an ISO relay (like mq1991 posted). MQ, that is an excellent description of how a relay works, but it is somewhat dissimilar from a solenoid. There are usually no terminal numbers on a solenoid.

The solenoid simply has two large gauge terminals; one from the battery and one to the starter, plus one (or two) small trigger wire(s). Some of the solenoids simply ground to the housing, whereas others have a dedicated ground wire.

In either case, when the solenoid is closed, the two large terminals will have continuity, with no resistance. I suspect this solenoid has failed, since it looks like the plastic is melted at the base of one of the studs (under the black cover).
I apologize, hopefully this puts him on the right path.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:15 PM   #79

It's okay guys, I figured it out. Yeah that thing was toast, even as I was testing it got really hot again. So I ordered a new one only 2.99.

Man this bike is so beat up, I keep finding more things wore out. Front wheel bearings failed after a few rides around the block. Have to do those now too. It's like they were trying to break stuff.

But it's keeping me busy and that's why I bought it haha

Old 06-13-2016, 10:52 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Yep. The early ones used to love to fall off after a while.
I picked up a little more wheel clearance as well due to the metal one being more ridged and not flexing like the plastic one.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mq1991 View Post
I apologize, hopefully this puts him on the right path.
No apology needed; you gave an excellent description of a relay, which is very close to a solenoid. You never know who might benefit from the diagram you posted. Thanks for chiming in.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-16-2016, 10:52 AM   #82

I've got some lights working I'm still waiting on my starter relay which should be here any day, that's the important one!

I'm going to look at that little three light console thing, I know one of the three is Neutral but can someone enlighten me on what the other three are for? There isn't much else on the bike I can think of. Also is the speedo supposed to light up? I assume it is but haven't pulled it apart yet.

Rear blinkers
Name:  20160616_092529.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  102.9 KB
That little light on the front, my low beam apparently
Name:  20160616_092611.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  96.3 KB
Taillight and break light works. Rear break switch works front doesn't
Name:  20160616_093051.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  83.4 KB

Old 06-16-2016, 11:12 AM   #83

Sounds like you're making good progress. You should have a neutral light, turn signal light and high beam light.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Sounds like you're making good progress. You should have a neutral light, turn signal light and high beam light.
Okay thanks man, I'll worry about that later.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #85

The God's are cruel....

Well first the good news. The starter relay just came and while the connectors didn't match I got it wired up just to see where I stodd. And it works!! Starter is good!!

Now before we start cracking the champagne open yet, yes there's always a but it seems, the darn thing wont fire . Back to running on starting fluid but not on gas. Two steps forward one back....

Anyway, I know the drill track down the fuel path, make sure carb isn't fouled and if all else fails I'll drop the motor, for a third time, and check the valve lash.

But sooo happy I don't have to kick the damn thing!!!

Old 06-16-2016, 02:02 PM   #86

I think the little light you got working is considered the "Running/Daylight Bulb" I don't think it's bright enough to be the 'road legal low beam'. If it's just bright enough to make the reflector light up and get other drivers attention it's just a "Running/Daylight Bulb"

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:10 PM   #87

Do you have a fuel filter on the fuel line? Might be time to invest in one if you didn't already

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:31 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
I think the little light you got working is considered the "Running/Daylight Bulb" I don't think it's bright enough to be the 'road legal low beam'. If it's just bright enough to make the reflector light up and get other drivers attention it's just a "Running/Daylight Bulb"
Yup your right "running light" it is. Once I move the switch from running lights to headlight it goes out.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:07 PM   #89

Well some progress, sort of.

I got it idling, barely, but as soon as I touch the throttle it stalls out. I haven't touched the carb, just took it out of the box and threw it on the bike so maybe I need to do some adjusting.

That said now the starter is stuck on, seriously man I can't make this stuff up. As soon as I connect the battery it starts cranking. Key off kill switch off but it keeps cranking. Bad relay? IDK but at least I can still use it to get it started for now.

Maybe it 3 steps back??

Old 06-16-2016, 07:17 PM   #90

Sounds like a stuck solenoid. Possibly a bad starter button. Remove the wire front the button to the solenoid, if it still cranks over, solenoid is bad.