Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2009, 12:55 AM   #76

I dont think the weight is there for a plow, plus its 2x4...it may work just peachy, but I have a Sears 13hp blower that works well.

I live 3 blocks from a river that drains Lake Simcoe (big lake) you can run for hours and hours without even bothering to hit the lake.

I have studded tires before and have my tricks, be happy to share them if i go through with it. Unsure how the beast is gonna like the cold...I know...jetiing can solve many issues, but we'll see.

My ex wife was looking at one of the higher end 4x4 Gio's, but you are getting out of the "too good to be true" value area in my opinion at that price range.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:01 AM   #77

A snow plow is the way to go, for sure. If a person was so inclined to install a plow on a Beast, it could be done with the long arm mount style. The type that you drive over and connecto to the back of the quad. That would take some fab work, since the beast doesn't have a hitch.

Yes, please share tire stud tricks if you decide to move forward with that.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #78

Well got my CDI, pipe and mikuni carb on today and WOW what a difference, i'm really liking this quad now, still need to fit a good air filter to it, what UNI filter are you using WG?, i might also try to get a K&N and make an adapter for it, only mounting of the storage case and get the new shocks on and then maybe the winch. A sweet spot for the CDI is that nice pc. of plastic near the front, i heated a screwdriver and melted two nice slots, then zip tied it in place.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #79

I put the pipe on, then CDI then rode it and it was not bad, but after the carb, wow, big diff.
Pretty surprised how snappy it was. Glad we have someone who gave us a before and after comparison!
The actual pipe dia. looks the same, but its one heck of a lot longer so maybe it has more holes/baffles drilled inside. Like the new sound when it gets going? I also liked the fact that the putt putt sound was gone at idle.

Pete

Old 10-21-2009, 10:03 PM   #80

Ahhh... So the carb really does make a huge difference? Excellent as my son has taken to calling my quad "Sir Stallsalot". Lol! His 110 runs beautifully though! I am anxiously awaiting my Mik's arrival! I will have to get a different air cleaner though?

Regards,
Stew

Old 10-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Ahhh... So the carb really does make a huge difference? Excellent as my son has taken to calling my quad "Sir Stallsalot". Lol! His 110 runs beautifully though! I am anxiously awaiting my Mik's arrival! I will have to get a different air cleaner though?

Regards,
Stew
As far as I'm concerned 100% yes. The Mikuni is already set to the richest position on the needle and the lack of fresh air richens it up even more. It may even bog on you a bit if you try WOT but I think its an air issue myself. Mine loses the minor bog if I take the cleaner off (bad idea) for a rip up the road.

You can also check your plug and If your carb came like mine I'll bet its nice and black instead of tan.

Pete

Old 10-22-2009, 01:59 AM   #82

waynev,

The Uni I'm using won't likely fit on the Mikuni, due to the larger size. I recommend a UP4182AST, because of the 1 3/4" opening and 15 degree neck. It will squish into the battery box a bit, but clamp it directly to the carb and have a nice day. Check out http://www.unifilter.com/online%20ca...universal.html

I use Maxima Fab 1 Spray-On Air Filter Oil. Good stuff.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-22-2009, 07:51 AM   #83

Thanks for the info W&G, i'll look into that one, i'm also considering using some kind of 90 degree elbow and a bigger filter sitting vertical.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:14 AM   #84

Whichever way you go waynev, be sure that the Uni isn't in a direct path of water from the wheels. On my daughter's Monster, I cut up an old Reliance camping water jug and zip-tied sections of it under the filter. It stays completely dry now.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #85

Hey guys, just curious, when you say Uni filters are you talking about those K&N style cone type filters? I am assuming that the stock airbox wont fit on the Mikuni carb, so where does one find one of those cone type filters? Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Stew

Old 10-22-2009, 10:51 PM   #86

Quote:
Hey guys, just curious, when you say Uni filters are you talking about those K&N style cone type filters? I am assuming that the stock airbox wont fit on the Mikuni carb, so where does one find one of those cone type filters? Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Stew
The stock elbow that connects the stock breather to the carb will fit on the Mikuni with use of either a little heat, or some grease to help slide it on. The stock housing/filter is not up to the job with the Mikuni installed, but is OK til you get an improved one.

2 dealers close to me dont touch Unifilters, but both carry K&N. if you go to them with a part number they can order it in for you BUT i declined when i saw standard 4" K&n filters selling for $80.00 on the wall. I dont begrudge people making a living, but 300% markup is just gouging.

You can find the main Unifilter site with a quick Google search.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:06 PM   #87

Thanks for the info, Im going to check out the Unifilter site... First time I ever heard of them.

Regards,
Stew

Old 10-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #88

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Im going to check out the Unifilter site... First time I ever heard of them.

Regards,
Stew
Cant take any credit myself, Weldangrind gave me the scoop on it, I had not heard of them either. He's done things to his beast I would never have though of and I'm sort of using his work as a template for mine, just not as good ;-)

Old 10-23-2009, 02:24 AM   #89

Looking forward to some form of payment Pete (chocolate for my wife, maybe?).

MICRider, check out the Uni catalogue here: http://www.unifilter.com/online%20ca...universal.html

The dual-layer pod offers the best protection for dirt, mud and dust.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:53 AM   #90

Me? Payment?

Heck, when I pull out my wallet the queen blinks

Well, she used to when she was still on our bills at least.

Hmmm...Maybe I'll stiff the trick or treaters this year, turn off the lights early or something, stash the chocolate myself.

WHOOSH...hear that? That was all my good Karma flying out the window.....