Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #76

Upon further consideration, I believe the Dunlop K70 front and rear likely do look similar, the picture only shows the front, the rear is the k81..

In the K70, I would need to go to a 4.00 - 18 rear, up from a 3.5, and a 3.25 - 19 front up from 3.00. Front and rear are both right around $60.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:27 AM   #77

I like that Dunlap K70. Looks the part.

Allen

Old 05-24-2010, 12:36 AM   #78

I agree with Allen; I like the Dunlop K70 tires. I would buy the Dulop tires if the extra width is not a problem.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-24-2010, 02:41 AM   #79

The width should clear everything on the bike as far as I can tell, so long as it is not too wide for the rim... Maybe I'll just pop a question about that over to the honda twins forum...

The stock tires... I know old tires are bad... Rubber gets hard, brittle, etc.. However, the ones on this don't look to have any sort of dry rot, there is no cracking on the sidewalls, and they don't seem to be too hard... I don't think they were ever really stored outdoors. And of course with less then 1500 miles (I don't have the actual number off hand), they aren't worn. I just know they are a bad idea being 37 years old but I'm almost tempted to wait till it's done and give them a careful test run... :roll:

Otherwise though I agree with you guys, out of all the ones I've looked at, the K70's look the part.

Did a little work today, however no pictures because the bike looks less complete now..

Looking at the bike on the stand I kept looking at the bottom of the rear fender, and it looked pretty bad... So I took both fenders off and cleaned them with a wire brush underneath. Then a coat of rust-to-primer (I don't recall the actual name), and then I'll give it a shot of hot rod black after that dries.

I also pulled the gauges off and me and my dad sanded them, and then I painted them, I had missed them last time we we're painting because they were stored elsewhere.

We got the front wheel all shined up too, and I put the new brake shoes on. Turns out the shoes that Darwin found are indeed correct for the bike, however the springs are way too long. The springs in the old one were still in good shape though so I put those back in. The front brake was in much better shape then the rear, when I took the rear brake apart, the pad part of the brake shoe fell off of the shoe. Anyways, back on track here, after I give the fenders their coat tomorrow (the inside), they'll go back on, then I can put the front wheel on the bike.

I also cleaned up a few other things, new shrink tubing, and repainted some of the cable's and wiring bunches off the handlebar controls, and cleaned up some of the little pieces here and there. I was going to steal the bolt to hold on the levers off of my spare parts bike, but they snapped so I'll wait for the long weekend to end and then see if I can grab some new ones from 3D cycle.

That was about it for the bike today though, helped with some yard work around my parents place to make up for the help with the bike...

Old 05-24-2010, 02:51 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
...helped with some yard work around my parents place to make up for the help with the bike...
Good for you!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #81

That's going to be such a cool bike when you get it all done . I googled for some pics of them and they are a sweet looking machine. I so love the old Honda's, as I said before my first real bike was a CT70 and I don't think I have had the same affection for any of my bikes since. Excellent smiles per gallon on the old Hondas

Old 05-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #82

I googled too, I found this http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239922

That is a really nice bike, I hope mine will look nearly as nice... If you read through the topic, he ordered the K70 tires, but he never put up the pictures, it's a few years old now so I don't think he's going to.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #83

He did a beautiful job on that bike! Now you have a high mark to aim for, Jim!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-24-2010, 03:34 PM   #84

He just bought it like that, I'm not sure if it's been redone or if it is original? MY biggest problem getting mine to look like that will be the exhaust and various chrome pieces. Still though, I can try

Old 05-24-2010, 10:32 PM   #85

Got the fenders and gauges cleaned up and back on. Turns out the brake springs were actually right I was just not paying attention and hadn't put the brakes together completely... Anyways there done now, the wheel is on. The headlight bucket is on. Tomorrow I will probably try to connect all the wires in there and get the headlight in it. After that maybe clean up the motor a bit more before it goes back in.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #86

Everything is coming along very nicely, Jim. This is fun project to watch; thank you for the updates.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-24-2010, 11:35 PM   #87

Keep going!!!!! Work day and night if You must Nice work.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #88

At this rate, you'll be riden the Trail 70 this summer! Great progress!

Old 05-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
At this rate, you'll be riden the Trail 70 this summer! Great progress!
One at a time...

Old 05-27-2010, 01:41 AM   #90

Did a quick waxing on the tank... And decided to sit it on the bike to have a look...

I also removed a couple of stickers, 2 from the tank, and one from a side cover. The tank had the Warning, preserve nature, wear a helmet, think safety sticker, but it was all cracked up and half covered by some other sticker with it's writing faded off. I ordered a new warning NOS sticker off eBay.

I also removed the ignition bracket, sanded, painted, and reinstalled it. It looks a lot better now. All the wiring in the headlight is all hooked up now, but I need to get a new bulb for the high beam indicator and put the signal lights on before I put the actual headlight into the bucket. I'm looking for better signal lights though, the stalks on mine are really quite bad. Got an eye on some options on eBay and I'll check with a local bike "wrecker".

I cleaned the side covers a bit, and removed the dealer decal that was on one of them. The grommets that hold them on have a chrome outside, however they are really rusty.. I found 2 brand new ones eBay though so I also ordered those.

Not a whole lot of work was done today but it's getting there slowly. Going to go find that bulb tomorrow and maybe clean the motor up a bit.