Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2023, 07:48 PM   #76

O ring

Does this o ring go above or below the head gasket. I've seen it both ways on youtube. the one i have is a not metallic gasket, same as oem. i dont want to F this up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oring.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	30246  

Old 10-19-2023, 08:09 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
Does this o ring go above or below the head gasket. I've seen it both ways on youtube. the one i have is a not metallic gasket, same as oem. i dont want to F this up!
I didn't use it on my TBR7, but there is one of the 4 corner holes on the gasket that is much larger, to the point the gasket should just slip over the O Ring, and lay flat. Basically the O Ring sits inside of the larger hole just slip it onto of the dowell for the oil galley and see if you gasket lays flat

Old 10-19-2023, 08:25 PM   #78

what type of headgasket?

If its a composite gasket there should be enough room for the oring to fit.

If its a metal shim gasket unless there is a chamfered recess in the head don't install the oring it will compromise the mating surface and lead to a probably head gasket leak...( I know this from personal experience)

Old 10-20-2023, 07:25 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
what type of headgasket?

If its a metal shim gasket unless there is a chamfered recess in the head don't install the oring it will compromise the mating surface and lead to a probably head gasket leak...( I know this from personal experience)
its the same type of gasket that was in the bike. i guess composite. I just dont want to put this back together wrong. I saw a dude on youtube put the ring on top of the gasket and another dude put it below the gasket. if I had been more mindful as I was disassembling it, i wouldnt need to ask. should have taken pictures of each and every step. eh . live and learn.

Old 10-20-2023, 07:31 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
what type of headgasket?

its the same type of gasket that was in the bike. i guess composite. I just dont want to put this back together wrong. I saw a dude on youtube put the ring on top of the gasket and another dude put it below the gasket. if I had been more mindful as I was disassembling it, i wouldnt need to ask. should have taken pictures of each and every step. eh . live and learn.

edit: gonna do it like this guy did. major brain fart.

Old 10-20-2023, 03:37 PM   #81

The composite gasket should have a hole big enough for the oring to sit inside...

So you can't really get it wrong if the gasket is installed correctly.

Its the metal gaskets where the oring might not be required.

Old 10-21-2023, 04:27 PM   #82

parts have arrived. I am totally sober. about to go down and put the hawk back together.

Old 10-21-2023, 04:54 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
parts have arrived. I am totally sober. about to go down and put the hawk back together.
I realize that your probably around 125 miles North of were I am, but according to the weather man, it's suppose to be warming back up, and staying dry for next week. Hopefully you will have some good riding weather left this year.

Old 10-22-2023, 04:13 AM   #84

Wow, what an experience. I went to my daughter's house, and my son-in-law was supposed to help me. However, my daughter had a meltdown because they have three kids, one of whom is autistic. Sometimes things get overwhelming. Anyhow, she had a meltdown, and I was on my own. Being the half-wit that I am, I made one stupid mistake after another. Finally, I got the motor put together. You know, I had to fabricate certain things, but I got it all together, and it sounds great; it runs great. But if it weren't for my son-in-law's friend Chris, who helped me get the exhaust back together and had exhaust material to make gaskets, the bike wouldn't be running.

I freaked out and ended up going to the gas station next door to buy a beer because I was so stressed out. I was about to freak out. I mean, I literally misplaced parts and did every stupid thing you can imagine because I was on my own. It was a two-man job at my skill level, and suddenly I'm one man. But anyhow, after humiliating myself in front of God and the universe, eventually, someone named Chris came along who understood how to get my exhaust back together, even though I took it apart.

The bike's running, and I rode it home, freezing my rear off. It's like 47 degrees out and raining. But I had to have my motorcycle because it's my freedom. To make a long story short, I'm an idiot. This thing was a disaster, and I made it way more difficult than it had to be. In the end, someone helped me do the final thing I couldn't do, which was the exhaust. Now the bike runs great, sounds great, looks great; it's so damn sexy that I don't even know. So it's all good, gentlemen, until the next thing goes wrong, and then I'll have to fix that too. I'll probably have a meltdown about that as well, but I will learn something. You know what? Don't quit learning until the day you die.

Last edited by Zapkin; 10-22-2023 at 05:47 PM. Reason: corrected spelling, grammar and punctuation.

Old 10-22-2023, 09:29 AM   #85

You are the kind of person that gets frustrated after one thing goes wrong, and then after that it seems like everything goes wrong. I am like that too, but that doesn't mean your an idiot, or half witt. Believe it, or not there are a lot of ( if not most) people that think you can't get parts for the Chinese bikes. I personally can't think of any bike as cheap, and easy to work on, or repair than a CG dual sport.. I'm glad you got it up, and going again. If you were talking about the gasket that goes between the head pipe, and mid pipe, were the clamp is, I used three together, cut out of a pop can.

Old 10-22-2023, 04:09 PM   #86

Hold on a second. Is that gasket "between the head pipe and mid pipe"...is that a different freaking gasket than the one between head pipe and head?????

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 10-22-2023, 04:59 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
Hold on a second. Is that gasket "between the head pipe and mid pipe"...is that a different freaking gasket than the one between head pipe and head?????
The one that between the mid pipe, and head pipe is very different. It goes were the pipes meet,and the clamp on the exhaust right behind the shifter clamps the flanges together. I don't know what other bikes use that style clamp, but my TBR7 , or Brozz did not . The gasket is some sort of heat resistant flat gaskets, and can crumble, or break. As stated above, I cut mine from pop cans , and used 3, but you could probably even take one of those foil turkey size pans like you can get at Dollar Tree, and fold it a couple times, and use it. I have never used it, but they say orange Permatex can be used on exhaust.

Old 10-22-2023, 07:38 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
The one that between the mid pipe, and head pipe is very different. It goes were the pipes meet,and the clamp on the exhaust right behind the shifter clamps the flanges together. I don't know what other bikes use that style clamp, but my TBR7 , or Brozz did not . The gasket is some sort of heat resistant flat gaskets, and can crumble, or break. As stated above, I cut mine from pop cans , and used 3, but you could probably even take one of those foil turkey size pans like you can get at Dollar Tree, and fold it a couple times, and use it. I have never used it, but they say orange Permatex can be used on exhaust.
They are graphite joint gaskets and very commonly used on motorcycles. Honda designs like to use them at mid joints just like the Hawk - sometimes a donut shape, others a sleeve. My VFR1200 has a pair of them between the rear head pipes and main system.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 10-22-2023, 08:26 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
They are graphite joint gaskets and very commonly used on motorcycles.
My 2001 YZ426F also used that type of joint gasket (part #12), as seen below.

Old 10-22-2023, 08:36 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbkr188 View Post
My 2001 YZ426F also used that type of joint gasket (part #12), as seen below.

That is similar to how it is on the TBR7, and Brozz, and kinda like how the aftermarket exhaust that I have fit together. I don't know why the Hawk uses flanges on the pipe, and the big clamp. It works just fine, but has to be a little more expensive to do.