Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #61

Take a look at the honda website for the CRF50. It still being sold.

http://powersports.honda.com/2009/crf50f.aspx

Important Safety Information
Due to the lead content requirements established by the Consumer Products Safety Improvement Act, as interpreted by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, this motorcycle is not intended primarily for children 12 years of age and younger. This motorcycle must not be sold to, nor sold for use by, persons under the age of 13.

Yamaha has a similar over 12 warning. That is how the lawyers are getting around the lest testing.

Obviously parents are not going to buy a 50cc for a 13 year old.

Interesting that Honda has "not intended primarily". Wonder how that can be interpreted.

From Suzuki

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%...009/LTZ50.aspx

Rider Safety
Safety Message For Parents: ATVs are not toys. Serious injury or death can result from improper use of ATVs. Your youngster’s safety will depend on you taking a "Safety First" approach to ATV riding. The Suzuki QuadSport Z50 may be used only by those aged 6 and older. As a responsible adult, you must always supervise riders under the age of 16 and let your youngster ride only as long as he or she is riding the ATV safely. Even though your child may be the right age, you need to be sure that he or she has the size, strength, skills, and judgment to operate the QuadSport Z50 safely. The SVIA publication "Parents, Youngsters & ATVs" (included with the QuadSport Z50 and available through your dealer) contains guidelines that can help you determine if your child is ready to ride an ATV. Suzuki highly recommends that all ATV riders take a training course. We’ll even pay for it. For safety and training course information, see your dealer or call the SVIA at 1-800-852-5344. ATVs can be hazardous to operate. For your safety, always wear a helmet, eye protection and protective clothing. Never ride on public roads. Never carry passengers or engage in stunt riding. Be extra careful on difficult terrain. Other Suzuki ATVs have higher minimum age ratings: The Z90 may be used only by adult-supervised riders aged 12 and older; all other Suzuki ATVs may be used only by those aged 16 and older.

Looks like Suzuki is okay with saying the the 50cc atv is for 6 and older.

I am still alive. I didn't have helmets, car seats, hand sanitizer etc.

Allen

Old 01-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #62

I thought I read somewhere that this had actually been put on hold. I will have to look and see where I saw that and report back.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #63

That may be. I rarely visit any of the big powersports stores to see what is on the floor.

Allen

Old 01-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #64

That little ATV is very expensive…$1,800? They could change the plastic on that to metal at that price. Or coat it with something?

If it is out in the sun over the years it could oxidize and then lead if it has lead in it could leach out, the kids climbing across it would get it on them and carry it home. So you could be sharpening the kids skills and dumping them up at the same time. Lead does that it causes brain damage, but only if ingested breathed in or swallowed.

The ATV would concern me more than the dirt bike, but the plastic is what seems to be an issue and that does not seem to be that hard to resolve particularly at those prices.

Maybe they should pressure them to get the lead out so to speak?

Old 01-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
"As a responsible adult"
Not too many of these around, these days............ :(
It's too much trouble to do that. Might interfere with what "I" want to do.
Just let the kid run loose and keep it busy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I am still alive. I didn't have helmets, car seats, hand sanitizer etc.
Allen
AMEN!!

Bill

Old 05-30-2010, 03:53 AM   #66

This thing has been stickied for quite some time, what ever came of this?

Old 05-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #67

Not sure. Will have to look into it.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #68

This is what's going on...............

Take Action - HR1587

Nov 3 2010 3:45PM

November 3, 2010 - The mid-term elections are over and it's time to focus on something that is critical to our industry. As many of you know, the motocross community is facing possible extinction if we don't get under one umbrella. The age old question of how long can we sit on our hands and do nothing is about to be answered for us. Please take a moment to read this message. This is not a scare tactic ..... it's real and about to happen. After you read through this, there will be important links for you to follow.

As for the lead law (Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008), it was signed into law by President Bush in 2008 and only one Representative voted against it (Ron Paul). Many of the Representatives and Senators thought they were just trying to protect kids from toys with lead paint from China. However, as you know, this law has affected many industries including the youth-model motorcycles and ATV industry.

The time is now to be engaged. We must amend the CPSIA in the next Congress, which begins Jan. 3, 2011. The AMA endorses H.R.1587, introduced by Rep. Denny Rehberg (R-MT), which exempts youth-model motorcycles, ATVs and snowmobiles from the lead provisions of the CPSIA. Rehberg will probably reintroduce this same bill in the next Congress with a new bill number. You need to now contact your local Congress rep and request for them to co-sponsor this bill when it is reintroduced. The AMA will try and move it as a stand alone bill, but it will more than likely be attached as an amendment to another bill.

In the meantime, the AMA is working the issue regarding the stay of enforcement issued by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Currently the stay is set to expire Feb. 11 for testing and May 1 for distributing, selling and repairing. This means that come May 1, 2011 no more youth bikes or ATV's will be available in the US nor will you be able to purchase parts for the existing machines in the public. Essentially, youth participation in our industry will stop.

What you need to do is to ask your Congress rep in the House to send a congressional letter either alone or with other members of Congress to the CPSC Chairman and Commissioners urging them to consider extending the stay of enforcements until Congress has the opportunity to amend the CPSIA legislatively. In the letter, your Congressional representative can stress that this is a safety issue and that without the properly sized vehicle available to purchase, many parents will purchase a vehicle too large for their children. This is the same reason the CPSC used to justify the current stays.

Please take a moment to use this link to contact your US Congress Representative from your home district.
www.ama-cycle.org and follow these instructions:

From the home page of the AMA, click on "RIGHTS", then "Issues & Legislation." From here you have options. To find your Representative you can enter your Zip Code under the link for "Key Votes." The important part to remember is to contact your Congress rep. The bill has to make it past the House of Representatives before going onto the Senate. Once you find your rep include the verbiage "ask your Congress rep in the House to send a congressional letter either alone or with other members of Congress to the CPSC Chairman and Commissioners urging them to consider extending the stay of enforcements until Congress has the opportunity to amend the CPSIA legislatively. Don't forget to request that your Congress rep co-sponsor the bill.

To view the HR1587 bill click here:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.1587:

To join the Facebook page go to:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HR1587...72592816091215

Please note that if bill HR1587 does not pass during the lame duck session between now and January 3, 2011, a new bill will be introduced and we have to repeat this effort before the deadline of February 11, 2011.

This is paramount we all speak up now. Every motorcyclists has to do this. Contact your local dealer and get them involved as well.

Sincerely,
Tom L Shields
AMA Congress D-20

Old 11-06-2010, 07:14 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejcycles
This is what's going on...............
Take Action - HR1587
Nov 3 2010 3:45PM
November 3, 2010 - The mid-term elections are over and it's time to focus on something that is critical to our industry...
Bruce,
Thanks for the update. I have been on the AMA page and sent a letter.
Bill R

Old 11-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #70

Thanks for taking the time to write a letter Bill. We don't have a similar initiative in Canada at this time, but your outcome will no doubt affect ours.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #71

Production of certain youth ATVs & Motorcycles could halt due to testing requirement

Please read here: http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews...tegoryId=48447

Weldangrind

I'm not sure if I took your last comment the incorrect way, but I thought this site was open to "The World" being on the internet. There used to be a lot of folks here from the U.S.A. that asked questions, commented, helped etc. If this is a Canadian site only, Please advise me of this & wont ever come back.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejcycles
Weldangrind

I'm not sure if I took your last comment the incorrect way, but I thought this site was open to "The World" being on the internet. There used to be a lot of folks here from the U.S.A. that asked questions, commented, helped etc. If this is a Canadian site only, Please advise me of this & wont ever come back.
Thanks for asking. This is not a Canadian site only. All I meant was that we can't write to a Senator or Congressman in the US. We watch this kind of thing closely, because our legislation could go the same way as yours.

Please continue to post often. We all benefit.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #73

CPSC News & Up-Dates

CPSC extends deadline for third-party testing of certain youth ATVs

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews...tegoryId=48474

CPSC extends deadline for third-party testing of certain youth ATVs
Publish date: Dec 9, 2010
By: Arlo Redwine
Source: Dealernews

The Consumer Product Safety Commission has extended to Jan. 25 the date by which OEMs and importers must begin using accredited third-party labs to certify that Y6 and Y10 youth ATVs meet federal standards. The previous deadline was Nov. 26.

The CPSIA of 2008 dictates that eventually all children’s products subject to a product safety rule will require third-party testing. So while manufacturers may continue to use in-house testing for certifying adult ATVs, they are scrambling to find third-party labs for models intended primarily for children 12 and younger. The OEMs could also choose to create their own “third-party” labs through a process called firewalling.

Because no such labs exist, the SVIA had petitioned the agency for the 60-day extension allowed for by the CPSIA, which doesn’t condone further extensions.

The SVIA noted in its petition that it’s unlikely that there will be enough labs even by the new deadline. It thus asked the CPSC to “consider other forms of relief, such as a further stay of enforcement of these requirements for one year until November 27, 2011.”

The commission invites comments on the possibility of a one-year stay. The types of comments sought are outlined in a Federal Register Notice under the subhead "III Commission Action on the Petition." The deadline for comments is Dec. 30.

The stay of enforcement regarding the CPSIA “lead ban” ends May 11, 2011. At that point, the OEMs still selling illegal units will likely stop, making the third-party testing requirement a moot point. This is why the industry continues to seek a permanent solution to the lead ban through legislation.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #74

Federal lawmakers seek delay in enforcement of lead law

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews...tegoryId=48447

Publish date: Jan 7, 2011
Source: Dealernews

The following is a press release of the American Motorcyclist Association.

PICKERINGTON, Ohio — More than a dozen federal lawmakers are asking the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) to delay enforcement of the so-called lead law that effectively bans the sale of kid-sized dirtbikes and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) reports. Rep. Denny Rehberg (R-Mont.) drafted the letter and circulated it for other lawmakers to sign before sending it to the CPSC.

The CPSC — charged with carrying out the law known as the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) of 2008 — has already postponed enforcement of a key portion of the law until May 1. The lawmakers want the federal agency to delay the enforcement even longer so that the current Congress can tackle the issue.

"It's clear the Consumer Product Safety Commission overstepped the intent of the law," said Rehberg. "The original legislation Congress passed was meant to keep kids safe from lead content in toys. Ironically, the overreaching enforcement puts kids at risk by forcing them to use larger, more dangerous machines that are intended only for adults. An extension of the current stay will provide the necessary time for Congress to fix this problem once and for all."

The CPSIA bans the making, importing, distributing or selling of any product intended for children 12 and under that contains more than a specified amount of lead in any accessible part. Aimed at children's toys, the law also ensnared kids' dirtbikes and ATVs because trace levels of lead can be found in parts such as batteries and brake calipers.

The law also requires all children's products be tested by independent laboratories approved by the CPSC and be certified that they comply with the law.

"We do not believe the original intent of the CPSIA was to include these vehicles in the Act's lead-ban provisions, and we support legislation that would permanently exclude them from the lead ban," the lawmakers said in a Jan. 4 letter to the CPSC.

"As you know, it is extremely important that young motorcycle and ATV riders use only appropriately sized machines," the lawmakers wrote. "The CPSC, user groups, and the motorcycle and ATV industry all agree that children suffer fewer injuries when they are kept from riding large ATVs designed for adults. The failure to extend the current stay (of enforcement) would be counterproductive to the work that has already been accomplished in promoting youth rider safety.

"Because of the broad definition of 'children's products' within the CPSIA and the CPSC's interpretation of the lead provision, a permanent legislative solution is needed to exempt the youth-model ATVs and off-highway motorcycles from the lead ban," the lawmakers wrote. "We ask the commission to extend the current deadline so that we may address this issue during the 112th Congress."

To view the letter in it's entirety, follow this link: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...nuary_2011.pdf.

Besides Rehberg, others who signed the letter are Reps. Geoff Davis (R-Ky.), Doc Hastings (R-Wash.), Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.), Walter Jones (R-N.C.), Tom McClintock (R-Calif.), Thaddeus McCotter (R-Mich.), Ron Paul (R-Texas), Aaron Schock (R-Ill.), Mike Simpson (R-Idaho), Adrian Smith (Neb.), John Kline (R-Minn.) and Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyo.).

"It's encouraging to see these members of the House are stepping up and asking the CPSC to delay enforcement of the law," said Ed Moreland, AMA senior vice president for government relations. "This sends a clear signal that the issue is on the radar of federal lawmakers and they plan to work to solve the problem so that kids have access to right-sized machines.

"Now we must show our support," Moreland said. "With members of the 112th Congress now rolling up their sleeves to get to work, it's important for all concerned parents and riders to contact their federal lawmakers in the House and Senate to change the lead law. Kids' dirtbikes and ATVs need to be exempt from the lead-content portion of the CPSIA." To contact federal lawmakers today, go to the AMA website at AmericanMotorcyclist.com> Rights> Issues and Legislation and follow the simple instructions.

About the American Motorcyclist Association
Since 1924, the AMA has protected the future of motorcycling and promoted the motorcycle lifestyle. AMA members come from all walks of life, and they navigate many different routes on their journey to the same destination: freedom on two wheels. As the world's largest motorcycling rights organization, the AMA advocates for motorcyclists' interests in the halls of local, state and federal government, the committees of international governing organizations, and the court of public opinion. Through member clubs, promoters and partners, the AMA sanctions more motorsports competition and motorcycle recreational events than any other organization in the world. AMA members receive money-saving discounts from dozens of well-known suppliers of motorcycle services, gear and apparel, bike rental, transport, hotel stays and more. Through its support of the Motorcycle Hall of Fame, the AMA preserves the heritage of motorcycling for future generations. For more information, please visit AmericanMotorcyclist.com.

Posted by Arlo Redwine

Old 01-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #75

AMA News > Bill introduced to exempt kids' dirtbikes and all-terrain vehicles from federal 'lead law'

Bill introduced to exempt kids' dirtbikes and all-terrain vehicles from federal 'lead law'

January 25, 2011

PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- With the deadline fast approaching that would effectively ban the sale of kids' dirtbikes and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), U.S. Rep. Denny Rehberg (R-Mont.) has introduced legislation to end the ban, the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) reports.

On Jan. 25, Rehberg introduced H.R. 412, the Kids Just Want to Ride Act, which would exempt kids' off-highway vehicles (OHVs) from the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) of 2008 that effectively bans their sale beginning May 1.

"Here again, a law meant to improve children's safety is actually being enforced in a way that puts kids in more danger than ever, while destroying jobs to boot," Rehberg said. "It's critical that we put to rest any confusion once and for all so kids can just get outside and ride.

"There's no excuse for continued bungling that only stops kids from using the very youth-sized off-road vehicles that are intended to keep them safe," Rehberg added.

"The American Motorcyclist Association has always been an excellent advocate for their members, and I'm happy to be working so closely with them again," Rehberg said.

Ed Moreland, AMA senior vice president for government relations, thanked Rehberg on behalf of the AMA and the All-Terrain Vehicle Association (ATVA), which is the AMA's sister organization.

"This is the most promising and viable legislative remedy available to permanently exclude kid-sized motorcycles and ATVs from the deleterious and unintended consequences of the CPSIA," Moreland said. "We also want to thank the many thousands of AMA and ATVA members who have answered the call from the beginning to urge their lawmakers to exempt kids' OHVs from the lead law.

"Now, we need a renewed push because time is running out," Moreland said.

The easiest way to contact federal lawmakers is through the Rights section of the AMA website at AmericanMotorcycist.com.

The CPSIA bans the making, importing, distributing or selling of any product intended for children 12 and under that contains more than a specified amount of lead in any accessible part. Aimed at children's toys, the law also ensnared kids' dirtbikes and ATVs because trace levels of lead can be found in parts such as batteries and brake calipers.

The law also requires all children's products to undergo periodic testing by independent laboratories approved by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), which is responsible for implementing out the CPSIA. On May 1, 2009, the CPSC delayed enforcement of the lead-limit portion of the law until May 1, 2011 to, among other things, give vehicle makers time to figure out ways to ensure their products comply with the law.

Even though the lead-limit portion of the law isn't being enforced, many dealers are no longer selling kid-sized OHVs and half of the major ATV manufacturers are no longer selling machines for kids because of uncertainty surrounding the CPSIA.

James Holter