Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2008, 03:12 PM   #61

I think that he is dealing for the bike, but it doesn't hurt to suggest a lawyer.

Usually in the case like this you have two claims. One for the vehicle and one for the injuries.

Allen

Old 04-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #62

I have employed a lawyer.He says i should be several hundred thousand richer by the end of this. This settlement is just for the bike. Injury and punitive damages are seperate.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:14 PM   #63

I would go for the full amount plus the bike then.

Allen

Old 04-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #64

I think I would just run it by your lawyer. He will have the most experiance on what should be expected. I think at this point I would let them keep the bike unless they offer it for quite a bit less.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #65

Plus, think about how much they are saving (you are saving them :wink: ) that she hit this bike over a much more expensive bike, or a car. I was under the impression that you get your vehicle for 10% of the value (i.e. $1200 bike should only cost you $120). Even if the 10% deal is what your own insurance company offers you, another party's insurance should not even blink at the (alleged) MSRP that some of these sites claim, i.e. Hooperimports has the GY-2 at $2199--the insurance company should not be reaping the rewards of a deal that you got, especially as the bike was brand new!

http://www.hooperimports.com/dept.aspx?dept_id=19

Print and show them other sites' MSRP's for the GY-2, too.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-24-2008, 03:21 PM   #66

Yes, if I were told I to expect that kind of money, then I don't really think the bike would matter too much to me.

If you're willing to keep it and part it out for the guys here, it would be a nice gesture...and you could basically accept any deal that allows you to do that.

But I'll still say...take all you can get! (and make that lawyer earn his cut!)
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 04-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #67

I just wonder if there is anything worth salvaging one you get past the forks. That had to be a hard lick, did it push the swingarm into the back of the engine case? (there's only about 1/4" between them, on my Lifan anyway), how about the internals... crank, gears etc... could have been bent in the impact. Not saying it is, but things tend to give way under that kind of stress.

But I don't think $1200 is enough, I'd go for every dime I had in it and just skip keeping the bike. I darn sure wouldn't give them $500 for it!

You've done the right thing by lawyering up, I'd have NO mercy after getting hit by a darn drunk! :twisted:

Old 04-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #68

I think with a new swingarm, and maybe a wheel the bike would be ok. The tail piece behind the seat is trashed. Motor is fine tank is fine electronics are fine bars are fine controls are fine. Its the swingarm . I think the lower frame is ok too.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #69

Total loss

Motohillbilly,

I'm an adjuster in Houston, and have a few questions. Did the insurance company explain how they got the the value of your bike? There is no way they will get $500 in salvage for the bike at auction. I know the china bikes are cheap, but you did assemble and license it correct?
The real big deal is that the driver was drunk. This opens all kinds of problems for the insurance company, as they are responsible for punitive damages. I would take the offer and let them retain salvage. You will be way ahead after punitive damages are paid.

Rob

Old 04-24-2008, 06:04 PM   #70

I know it's easy to get all wound up when ya start thiking about Lawyers,Lawsuits,And dollar signs!

Insurance is in place so we can get back what we lost!

I think I would be happy with a return of my full purchase price!!

Not, Money plus the bike! You had one new bike when it happend,You should have one new bike when it's over.....

As far as pain and suffering and the like, Priceless!!!! Get all you can...