Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Just curious. What color is the smoke?...ARH
Whitish

Old 10-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike View Post
Whitish
When an engine is burning oil, the smoke tends to be bluish. When it has a blackish exhaust, burning too much fuel. I had a Yamaha that I bought used once that did this. Turned out to be too much raw oil in the exhaust system...FWETW..ARH

Old 10-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #63

Quote:
When an engine is burning oil, the smoke tends to be bluish. When it has a blackish exhaust, burning too much fuel. I had a Yamaha that I bought used once that did this. Turned out to be too much raw oil in the exhaust system...FWETW..ARH
I was gonna say whitish/blue lol. Hey it's worth a shot taking silencer apart and cleaning it. After all it is a 2 stroke silencer. Good thinking. I'll clean it out tomorrow and give you update. Thx!

Old 10-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #64

Went out and pulled the pipe. Packing in silencer has normal oil build up being its was on a 2 stroke originally . It's not saturated. These are pics of inside the head. Looks a bit oiled up. Also there is a pic of the inside of the head pipe. Def hurting airflow. Let me know your thoughts. Normal buildup? Thx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2068.jpg (60.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2071.jpg (39.6 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2081.jpg (8.3 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2076.JPG (86.6 KB, 105 views)

Old 10-16-2017, 09:40 PM   #65

If you have an air compressor I would like to suggest a leak down test. This can help narrow down a few possibilities very quickly, such as excessive ring blow by. With the engine on the compression stroke and both valves closed, feed air into the cylinder and look/feel/listen for escaping air. If you get a strong steady flow of air from the crankcrase breather port, then that will tell you all you need to know about the ring seal.

Or an even simpler cold compression test might be all it takes.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 10-16-2017, 10:30 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
If you have an air compressor I would like to suggest a leak down test. This can help narrow down a few possibilities very quickly, such as excessive ring blow by. With the engine on the compression stroke and both valves closed, feed air into the cylinder and look/feel/listen for escaping air. If you get a strong steady flow of air from the crankcrase breather port, then that will tell you all you need to know about the ring seal.

Or an even simpler cold compression test might be all it takes.
Good imfo thx. What psi range I'm I looking for?

Old 10-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #67

Im getting a leak down tester from work. How much psi should i set the tester at? 60-70? Also what approx psi compression should i have as im gonna check compression also. Thx

Old 10-17-2017, 09:52 AM   #68

Quote:
I was gonna say whitish/blue lol. Hey it's worth a shot taking silencer apart and cleaning it. After all it is a 2 stroke silencer. Good thinking. I'll clean it out tomorrow and give you update. Thx!
Uh-oh. Whitish blue means heavy oil consumption. Most likely is a stuck ring or a broken ring. Desperate men do desperate deeds. The desperate deed in this case is one or two tablespoons of room temperature Coca-Cola down the spark plug hole and left sit a couple of days. Preferably with the piston at or near top dead center. Then kick it over to blow the Coca-Cola back out the spark plug hole. Then start it up and ride it around. If it fixes it, change the oil. If not, drain the oil and pull the head and the barrel and see what's wrong. ARH

Old 10-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #69

Quote:
Uh-oh. Whitish blue means heavy oil consumption. Most likely is a stuck ring or a broken ring. Desperate men do desperate deeds. The desperate deed in this case is one or two tablespoons of room temperature Coca-Cola down the spark plug hole and left sit a couple of days. Preferably with the piston at or near top dead center. Then kick it over to blow the Coca-Cola back out the spark plug hole. Then start it up and ride it around. If it fixes it, change the oil. If not, drain the oil and pull the head and the barrel and see what's wrong. ARH
Ok someone do a health and welfare visit to ARH.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:24 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
Ok someone do a health and welfare visit to ARH.
ARH does NOT need a health and welfare visit. Warm Coca-Cola has been used for stuck rings for at least 60 years. If it won't free the rings up, it's because a ring is broken, or trapped by a partial siezure. Coca-Cola has a small amount of phospheric acid in it. That is probably why it works...ARH

Old 10-17-2017, 01:52 PM   #71

Quote:
ARH does NOT need a health and welfare visit. Warm Coca-Cola has been used for stuck rings for at least 60 years. If it won't free the rings up, it's because a ring is broken, or trapped by a partial siezure. Coca-Cola has a small amount of phospheric acid in it. That is probably why it works...ARH
Your not crazy. I've heard of using Coca cola and have use vinegar to unstick rings and clean cylinders that had rust in them from sitting up but not for carbon build up. For rings stuck from carbon there are all kinds of products out there designed just for that purpose such as Piston Kleen and Seafoam. In a pinch I have used carburetor cleaner and even used paint stripper to unstick rings and clean up carbon on pistons.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-17-2017, 02:34 PM   #72

Quote:
Gonna do a comp/leak down test to see what i find out. If leaking from the rings coca cola it is

Old 10-17-2017, 06:56 PM   #73

Quote:
Gonna do a comp/leak down test to see what i find out. If leaking from the rings coca cola it is
Coca-Cola only works if the rings are gummed up. Won't solve broken rings or partial siezures trapping a ring...ARH

Old 10-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #74

Quote:
Im getting a leak down tester from work. How much psi should i set the tester at? 60-70? Also what approx psi compression should i have as im gonna check compression also. Thx
Since you motor may have a different compression ratio and cam lobe specs I couldnt give you a real number to go off of, but around 130 or higher pai shoukd be reasonable. My hawk pushed 160 psi average on my last test

As far as the leakdown test pressure i usually do 90, but 60 or 70 should be enough.

Oh, and the warm coke thing is a legitimate method, but if that bothers you for some reason then MMO or B12 can also work to unstick a ring using the same method. The coke wont harm anything.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 10-17-2017, 07:50 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Since you motor may have a different compression ratio and cam lobe specs I couldnt give you a real number to go off of, but around 130 or higher pai shoukd be reasonable. My hawk pushed 160 psi average on my last test

As far as the leakdown test pressure i usually do 90, but 60 or 70 should be enough.

Oh, and the warm coke thing is a legitimate method, but if that bothers you for some reason then MMO or B12 can also work to unstick a ring using the same method. The coke wont harm anything.
Thx for info. Coke thing doesn't bother me one bit . Ok I did a compression test first. Held solid at 140psi. Did the leak down test to 70-80 psi and held steady with no sound of air leaks. So would that be a worn or stuck oil ring? Could it be the valve seals? Mmo/b12 is just a injection cleaner? What about some sea foam down in sparkplug hole or put some in the crank case? Thx