Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #61

I'll make some popcorn and wait right here.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #62

Little bit of progress... :)

I got to playing around with the bike a bit last night, a few energy drinks (Kokanee) and I managed to get the engine in and some other bits done. Heres a few pics of my progress, I ask that you excuse the messy room though, it's kind of a junk/catch all storage room in my basement

Here's a picture of the bike with the stock engine removed

Here's a picture of the old ignition coil I pulled out... My mechanical abilities looked very Red Green'ish when I was around 10 or so... Lol!

Here's a picture of the engine installed in the chassis... It really was a bolt in affair. I just had to wait for the bolts to come from DRATV. Funny too, it's a small little engine but heavy enough that holding it up and aligning it while sliding in the motor mount bolts was very awkward!

I was having so much fun working on the old girl that I decided to slap on the new sprocket while I was at it. On the CT's it's just held on by a big snap ring so it was a cinch to change. I don't think I've ever ran a sprocket down this bad before. Here's a pic of the old sharktoothed one

And a pic of the shiny new Sunstar sprocket. I have a new chain for it as well but it came at a stock 120 links and I think it has to be cut down to 106 or 107.

I had also misplaced the rear axle, spacers and chain tensioners (30 some years will do that...) So I picked up new ones from DRATV as well.

Lol, also had to buy a new spring and the round tube thing the brake rod goes through...

So, I have to say it looks a lot better in more of one piece again. Got a ways to go on it and I'll end up buying more parts such as wheel bearings, brake shoes etc, but I'm just trying to get it "roughed in" first.

I'm happy I decided to repower it after checking it out closer... I had messed up a lot of stuff that I would have had to replace anyway. Plus, after riding that 90 a month or so ago I think the extra cc's will come in handy! I have footpegs for it (won on GIO for $2) but I have to cut the stand down as it's made for a 125 pit bike. Hoping the whole thing goes together as easily and as well as it has so far!

Old 10-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #63

Nice work

Old 10-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #64

Indeed, you've made very good progress, Stew! Please keep the photos coming!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #65

Lookin' good! 8)

The XR's use the same circlip arrangement to hold the rear sprocket on. I use an old scissor jack for installing and removing engines; much easier that way.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Lookin' good! 8)

The XR's use the same circlip arrangement to hold the rear sprocket on. I use an old scissor jack for installing and removing engines; much easier that way.
Thanks . Good tip on the jack, gotta work better than my knee did! It was funny too, I would get it all lined up but when I tried to grab the bolt and put it through I would move my knee! lol!

Old 10-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #67

Hmmm... Noticed something i never thought of... I got a shiny new carb with the Lifan, it even claims to be from Japan! Kicker is, the stock CT70 carb had the petcock built onto the side of the carb for the two lines from the tank to connect (one for main and one for reserve). The new carb only has one inlet line. Wondering, should I just plug off the main line and connect the reserve or should I hunt around for a three way valve? Have to be a pretty darn small valve though! Also, I picked up one of those chrome round air cleaners because my stocker had seen better days, looks like it will fit well with the supplied offset manifold . Any ideas on the petcock issue? TIA

Old 10-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #68

It should work fine if you block it off, but when you run out, you'll be out, so I think it's up to you if you want to chance getting stuck... It is an easy bike to push :P

Old 10-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
It should work fine if you block it off, but when you run out, you'll be out, so I think it's up to you if you want to chance getting stuck... It is an easy bike to push :P
Yeah, I think I'll probably end up going that route... Just have to keep a closer eye on the fuel! Should run pretty much forever on a tank anyway . I'll still have to find a small shutoff for it though so I can shut the fuel off when it's parked. Slapped the carb on to see how it will fit and for cable routing... It just screams power!!! Lol :roll:

Has a nice little offset to it so the filter and the cable have lots of clearance... If I remember correctly the stocker came straight back.

Hmmm... I think this might be more like a weekend project than a winter project. Gotta pace myself!

Old 10-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #70

You could use a Y and connect both lines to the carb, and then put an inline valve in each line. That would allow you to select main or reserve as you wish without being too cumbersome.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:38 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
You could use a Y and connect both lines to the carb, and then put an inline valve in each line. That would allow you to select main or reserve as you wish without being too cumbersome.
That's a good idea! I found a pic on the net of an aftermarket petcock that somebody bolted up to the frame... I think they were saying DRATV had them so I will have to do some hunting. I think I'll probably have to order some tubes too, my back tire keeps going flat and for all I know it might have the original tubes from 71 in it

Old 10-09-2011, 01:24 AM   #72

You're making me want to get mine together :P

I should probably get the other one going first though :S

Old 10-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #73

I found decent inline valves at my local Yamaha dealer; he subsequently ordered more for TurboT and Jim.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #74

I love it!

Old 10-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #75

Actually I picked the one for the Beast up at Diamond Bar Equipment in Aldergrove... For some reason the guy at the Yamaha dealer didn't seem very keen on ordering me parts :roll: If we're talking about the same thing here.... ?