Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2016, 08:03 PM   #61

It is a shame about the Hawk for some states due to its low entry price. If I was looking for a low-cost enduro, I would not hesitate to buy one here in Arizona due to the fact that Arizona street plates vehicles based on street equipment, not whether it is federally certified. IN other words, Razors and quads can be legally driven on the street here provided they have a minimum of street equipment. The Hawk would be no problem for me to register.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
It is a shame about the Hawk for some states due to its low entry price. If I was looking for a low-cost enduro, I would not hesitate to buy one here in Arizona due to the fact that Arizona street plates vehicles based on street equipment, not whether it is federally certified. IN other words, Razors and quads can be legally driven on the street here provided they have a minimum of street equipment. The Hawk would be no problem for me to register.
CA was like that when I was young. A left side mirror and a tail light and you were good. Didn't even need a headlight. Then.....it all changed.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
CA was like that when I was young. A left side mirror and a tail light and you were good. Didn't even need a headlight. Then.....it all changed.
I remember those days. A friend got a really good deal on a CR250 2-stroke. It was obviously off-road, and it had several hundred dollars in back fees for the green-sticker. The lady at the Oxnard DMV ended up registering it for the road and gave him a plate, saving him hundreds, and then got him a green sticker. He didn't even need street equipment, LOL, but she did tell him NOT to put it on the street...but he still had a plate.

A few years later, I cannot say if it happened to be the same bike, but I do remember seeing a streeted CR250 in Santa Barbara ridden two up by a man and a woman. Perhaps it was a coincidence, or it was my friend's old bike (he was into finding cars, trucks, bikes, etc. in the Recycler and fixing a few things and reselling them for profit, so it wouldn't surprise me)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 04-04-2016, 09:45 PM   #64

Just registered my Hawk 250 in NYS today!

Zero problems at the dmv.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (17.3 KB, 1818 views)

Old 04-04-2016, 10:40 PM   #65

My brother and I purchased ours from http://APSCUSA.com and they were both registered without any problems also. (Kingston, NY Area)

Old 04-04-2016, 11:00 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980YamahaIT175G View Post
Still thinking about it. I am not a gambling person and cannot risk losing money. At this point in time, the manufacturerers/distributors know very well that this type of motorcycle needed to be DOT/EPA certified to get it on the road in ALL 48 states. Not Off-Road Legal, but On-Road (Street) Legal. The only way to send a message of dissatisfaction is to purchase a Street Legal motorcycle such as this

http://www.superiorpowersports.com/2...f250mc-rte.htm

or this

http://www.superiorpowersports.com/2...50mc-rte-n.htm

Dissatisfaction is spoken by my wallet. Message needs to be sent to the manufacturers/distributors that do not comply. Those that do comply get my business. That is all. Just my opinion. No reason these manufacturers/distributors could not rivet a couple of metal plates to the frame of a motorcycle. I do not mind paying for it, because in the long run there is no doubt whether or not the motorcycle is Off-Road Legal or On-Road (Street) Legal. This is how I feel about this situation. Everybody is different.

Vote with your wallet and leave that overtaxed, non-gun friendly, corrupt, communist state! I did the same from HELLinois 17 years ago and never looked back. There are not too many places east of the Mississippi i would even consider living........

Old 04-04-2016, 11:07 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
Hi Dean,

It's L0W - that's zero, not "O."

The manufacturer is officially Chongqing Haosen Motorcycle Co.,Ltd.

Their model number for the Hawk 250 is the HS250Y-A:

http://www.haosenmotor.com/Products/.../HS250Y-A.aspx

I doubt you'll be able to find any official VIN cross reference that will link the above identifier. I certainly wasn't able to find one. The EPA documentation references the US importer, Ricky Power Sports, LLC and is off-road only, as pointed out elsewhere in this thread.

Here in Texas, they had no idea what it was, but all you have to do is pass a safety inspection, and they verify the VIN at the same time. They ended up titling mine as "RPS." My insurance called it "Other" and they wouldn't offer comprehensive, which I didn't care about anyway. Neither one was able to cross reference the actual manufacturer.

As an escapee from PA myself I can't say I miss the bureaucracy of the Commonwealth, with state stores and the inability to buy beer in a supermarket coming immediately to mind. I think you're making a good choice to do the homework up front before pulling the trigger on the purchase.
Geico has it listed I just punched in the vin and hawk 250 came up.
Poop happens

Old 04-05-2016, 12:40 AM   #68

Oh No The blues

You know with the Ron b. Nightmare and this thread, I had a huge relief when Texas registered my bashan , that plate was like a trophy. Like the song, if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. (Albert king born under a bad sign). This is the blues night indeed for China riders.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-05-2016, 12:49 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
You know with the Ron b. Nightmare and this thread, I had a huge relief when Texas registered my bashan , that plate was like a trophy. Like the song, if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. (Albert king born under a bad sign). This is the blues night indeed for China riders.
Bashans are 49-state EPA/DOT legal (Californians need not apply), so you shouldn't have had any issues or problems; but I know the feeling having registered three different Chinabikes in Arizona, the same state that registers UTVs, quads, and other vehicles that are NOT DOT certified, for the street, even though my bikes had ALL the minimum required street equipment. I kept thinking that SOMETHING would go wrong the longer I was sweating sitting at the desk while the AZ MVD employee kept plugging away that the computer, LOL

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 04-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #70

Thumbs Up Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian666 View Post
I think you just did the impossible. Cannot believe you did it.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:06 PM   #71

Question DongFang DF250RTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980YamahaIT175G View Post
Honestly, I do not really know. The only motorcycle that seems to pass muster is the DongFang DF250RTE.

http://www.df-motor.com/product_show.asp?id=695

If you notice, the two (2) metal plates in question are riveted to the frame/swingarm. That is what is needed to register a motorcycle in New York State. Wish I lived in Vermont. So much easier there.
Anyone know about the DongFang DF250RTE?

Old 06-22-2016, 04:14 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian666 View Post
same here, im convinced if you insist that they fill out the bodytype as motorcycle, there will be no problem. I got mine from killermotorsports, and in the notes section of the mco request form I asked for the bodytype to be motorcycle.

Brought it to the dmv along with the bill of sale and had no issues at all.
This was in Buffalo.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:52 PM   #73

Yup!! When it says "Dirtbike" it sends up a red flag......

Old 07-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #74

They are great dirt bikes

Old 06-04-2018, 12:53 PM   #75

Just got my hawk registered in canandaigua N.Y. this morning it was quite simple