Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2023, 08:02 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
as for a cost effective replacement "big bore CG300" cylinder kit, the 1 I am currently using as I am happy enough to recommend it after putting some distance on it now is the CG300/16mm pin. kit from the seller BOAO168 on aliexpress. It will not replace the bolt but it will fit without issue on a standard CG250 engine and does not cost that much more than a stock replacement.\

I tried linking it but for some reason aliexpress links are no longer going to specific items just the home page.
It's something weird with some browsers and aliexpress. If you shift click or open in a new browser it almost always works. Mine does it sometimes too.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 10-14-2023, 09:54 PM   #62

I'll try a new copy paste from a different browser then. shift clicking the link works. thanks Megadan.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...12918.html?spm

Mine originally came with a composite head gasket. but I contacted the seller and was sent the metal gasket at no additional cost...so maybe make a note of it if you decide to purchase a kit for yourself.

Old 10-15-2023, 07:51 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I already linked him to replacements for that bolt and washer. Csc has them in stock and they are less than a dollar. costs way more to ship than it is worth lol
yeah the bolt and washer came to less than a buck but its 10 bucks for shipping.

Old 10-15-2023, 08:55 AM   #64

one more thing, concerning the big bore kit. since the hawk 250 is actually a hawk 229, then adding that big bore kit would make it a hawk 270? Yeh I like the idea of a hawk 270 so someday....

Old 10-15-2023, 09:00 AM   #65

Quote:
My testing results with the roller type cam followers was they ended up performing worse than stock on a stock cam.

the reciprocating mass of the bearings on the cam robbed the upper RPM limit.

I went back to standard cam followers.

well done on the snapped thread portion extraction...would indicate the threads are fine. So either the bolt was over torqued or it was faulty/flawed.

the only thing you need now is a new bolt Zapkin.
It wasn't the bolt's fault; some fella named Rob did it.

But if you were looking at it from the standpoint of dependability and keeping metal out of the oil, wouldn't the bearing ones be better? Anyway thanks again.

Old 10-15-2023, 09:03 AM   #66

Quote:
I'll try a new copy paste from a different browser then. shift clicking the link works. thanks Megadan.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...12918.html?spm

Mine originally came with a composite head gasket. but I contacted the seller and was sent the metal gasket at no additional cost...so maybe make a note of it if you decide to purchase a kit for yourself.
Wait... is this an easy upgrade without additional machining? Because if so, it seems like a great deal! I'm having cognitive issues again this morning and caught myself reading this thread wrong. I'm just looking for quick clarification before my brain explodes!

Old 10-15-2023, 03:29 PM   #67

the 70mm big bore kits will make the CG250/167fml go from 229cc to an actual 250cc.

yes that kit I linked is a drop in fit no machining.

As for the bearing roll cam followers they really need to have the associated cam installed. The bearings add more weight and they end up floating on a stock cam profile at high rpm and seem to be detrimental to top end performance....This is my conclusion after testing.

I looked at the stock followers and cam and wear was minimal for the duty hours...
The same cam with rollers started to show witness marks after low hours...

If you want to install roller followers my limited experience suggests that they must be installed with the proper roller cam. If you have access to a bench press and gubbins to remove the cam and replace it with the correct profile, then from what I further understand there is little if any performance benefit just less cam 'noise'

I have most of my cam roller testing recorded on my XL185/cg250 swap thread...conclusion was back to stock.

Old 10-15-2023, 06:50 PM   #68

Quote:
the 70mm big bore kits will make the CG250/167fml go from 229cc to an actual 250cc.

yes that kit I linked is a drop in fit no machining.

As for the bearing roll cam followers they really need to have the associated cam installed. The bearings add more weight and they end up floating on a stock cam profile at high rpm and seem to be detrimental to top end performance....This is my conclusion after testing.

I looked at the stock followers and cam and wear was minimal for the duty hours...
The same cam with rollers started to show witness marks after low hours...

If you want to install roller followers my limited experience suggests that they must be installed with the proper roller cam. If you have access to a bench press and gubbins to remove the cam and replace it with the correct profile, then from what I further understand there is little if any performance benefit just less cam 'noise'

I have most of my cam roller testing recorded on my XL185/cg250 swap thread...conclusion was back to stock.
thats good info! for sure! thanks.

Old 10-15-2023, 06:52 PM   #69

I expect the parts to be here Thursday and then 30 to 40 minutes later I will get my therapy. riding is therapy to me. slow or fast or middle speed. the concentration required is good for my brain, even after the fact. It is a type of meditation when you have to focus to survive in a world trying to kill you.

those zombie apocolypse people say that stuff too, but they are full of crap!

Old 10-17-2023, 06:04 PM   #70

Had a slight glitch in the order process, but parts should be here by Friday. I sure hope the weather is good enough this weekend to ride and run the ridges before all of the trees are dead.

word of advice. If you are ordering small stuff from CSC, order as much as you can because the shipping is the real cost. 10 bucks to me so I ordered a few extra things. still the order was under 13.00.

Old 10-17-2023, 06:18 PM   #71

There's a guy from around Nitro WV that's been putting out a lot of YouTube videos with a Hawk. I don't know if you have seen them. Nothing really informative about them for anyone who already owns one, but I figured I would mention it since he's from WVa. I recognize a lot of the area he rides in, because my Wife used to be into tropical fish, and there used to be some pet stores that we stopped in to a lot , one in Cross Lanes, and one down the road in Nitro. He's called "Careless Kingdom" on YouTube.

Old 10-17-2023, 08:12 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
There's a guy from around Nitro WV that's been putting out a lot of YouTube videos with a Hawk. I don't know if you have seen them. Nothing really informative about them for anyone who already owns one, but I figured I would mention it since he's from WVa. I recognize a lot of the area he rides in, because my Wife used to be into tropical fish, and there used to be some pet stores that we stopped in to a lot , one in Cross Lanes, and one down the road in Nitro. He's called "Careless Kingdom" on YouTube.
yes, I am subbed. I enjoy seeing other folks with bikes like mine, it's interesting and helps me feel validated in my decision to buy one.

Old 10-17-2023, 08:43 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
Had a slight glitch in the order process, but parts should be here by Friday. I sure hope the weather is good enough this weekend to ride and run the ridges before all of the trees are dead.

word of advice. If you are ordering small stuff from CSC, order as much as you can because the shipping is the real cost. 10 bucks to me so I ordered a few extra things. still the order was under 13.00.
What do you mean by "before all of the trees are dead" ??

What is that about?

Old 10-17-2023, 08:44 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
He enjoys riding his Hawk-X and it shows that he's having a great time with it. That's the beauty of Chinabikes. You get to have fun without spending too much. And the companies that make them are improving all the time. The quality I got in my 2022 Hawk is much higher than my 2007 GY5, but the cost was almost the same and if you account for inflation..much lower. Anyway, you guys know how passionate I am about all of this. I'm so happy that these bikes exist and I'm grateful for the people that make it possible. and yes I might have just smoked and drank, but the feeling is genuine and true.

Old 10-17-2023, 08:53 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
yes, I am subbed. I enjoy seeing other folks with bikes like mine, it's interesting and helps me feel validated in my decision to buy one.
I just watched some to see him riding in places that I'm familiar with. The reason that I figure he lives in Nitro, is because when he leaves to go get fast food, he goes right past were JoMar's pet store was . It says "The Pit", on a crude sign in front of the building now, but I recognize the building. His bike seems to run good, He rides around in more congested areas than I personally like to..Even though Nitro, St.Albans, and Cross Lanes are congested, he's not real far from more isolated areas. I ride down to the Kanahaw River from time to time going all back roads, and usually come out around Leon, or one of the small communities in the area. I also recognize him actually riding the bike up on the interstate bridge at the 77-64 split. It's all 55-60 mph speed limit on that part of the Interstate, at least past the Dunbar exit,because the Charleston area all the way from Kanahawa City to past Nitro, and Cross Lanes is just on on ramp, and exit ramp after another. The Wife never liked what she considered crooked roads, but there is a good, short cut (Rocky Fork)basically from Sissonsville that takes you out at Cross Lanes, but it actually has a good bit of traffic, because it's way faster, especially when the traffic is bad on 64.

Last edited by Bill Hilly; 10-20-2023 at 06:48 PM.