Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #61

The one bolt I forgot to check gave me a nice WTF moment this morning :oops: . The gear selector bolt was not tight and for some bizarre reason doesn't make contact with that channel on the gear selector shaft - so my gear selector fell off in my driveway as I was shifting to 2nd :oops: . Happened once or twice (preparing to date myself) on my Honda 125M 3 wheeler. With full riding gear on I managed to find the loctite and a 10mm to fix it on the spot. Oddly enough I have Saturday slated to go through all the bolts again anyway so perhaps it was just a gentle reminder to not blow it off .

Daddy

Old 09-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #62

Somewhere on the bottom of the Delaware River close to New Hope, PA there is a rusted remnant of a 1980 GS1100E's shift lever.

It fell off on a 2-3 upshift on a open grate bridge.

I had the company of a pretty little nurse at the time (Ah, the more things change, the more they remain the same... 8) ) and another 50 miles to get back to the hospital where we lived.

I limped in second to a hardware store and bought some small Vise Grips which are still in my toolkit. I clamped them on the shaft and used that as a lever to get home OK.

My first Q lost a lever (no Locktite at that point on it) and I found it no problem.

Not s good a story though!

Old 09-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #63

In regards to the engine - a co-worker of mine said the engine sounds exactly like his brother's Polaris ATV. Things that make you go hmmmmm.....
Daddy 8)

Old 09-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #64

Nobody thinks that engine is designed by Xingue, developing and designing ….not the same.

The Polaris ATV uses an engine designed by Subaru, I believe, Xingue could have developed a copy of that engine for its motorcycles. They are the only manufacturer that did that, so if so, they developed it solely.

Taking a 1970 era Honda designed engine and adding to it and then manufacturing it would be called developing. Everyone or nearly all motorcycle manufactures in china did that, so those are not solely developed. Some bored them out and some added water cooling to them.

Some developed on Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha others on Cagiva designs.

Did Xingyue solely develop the Subaru ATV water cooled single for use in a motorcycle? Maybe…did they design it? Not likely.

Taking off the stock exhaust and emissions gizmos, changing the jetting of the carb, what carburetor is on the Polaris 300 or 400? That could get you close to 40hp from that engine.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #65

Fuji Heavy Industry is a partner with Polaris, owning a percentage of Polaris stock. Fuji has provided million of engines used in Polaris snowmobiles, ATVs, watercraft and utility vehicles.

Fuji is Subaru and Xingyue has a working realtionship with Fuji.

Xingyue also partnered with Luoyang Northern Enterprises Group Co., Ltd.

Luoyang Luojia Highland Motors Co., Ltd. , located in Luoyang State High-tech Industry Development Zone, is a joint venture company established jointly by Luoyang Northern Enterprises Group Co., Ltd. and Nya Sweden Highland Motors AB in April, 2005. It is the very first manufacturer in China specialized in developing and producing large displacement motorcycles and engines from 350cc to 950cc.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
Everybody counts here :wink:
I know, I know ; but those members with the bike live in countries that have many different brands of Chinese bikes usually cannot give us the perspective that we all desire and crave. Reading about someone who walked into a shop in Shanghai, and rode out with a Qingqi is a cool story (especially with photos), but when someone here in N. America buys the same bike, commutes with it on the freeway to work, and took an outing is something that most of us here on chinariders can relate to. Daddy is someone that we will live vicariously through for a while.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #67

They all shared technology, out of that came this Xingyue engine a SOHC -4 valve that they can develop and market, cost effectively for use in ATV and these motorcycles.

But Highland went further and developed a DOHC that cost a lot more to develop…..

Old 09-04-2010, 11:33 PM   #68

These could have the same transmissions? They have converging nomenclatures so it entirely possible.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #69

Oengus, where the heck do you find all this stuff out? I'm guessing that your profession is some kind of researcher? Thanks for the insights

Cheers,
Stew

Old 09-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #70

Location: Wheeling, WV native currently living In Natchitoches, LA
Send a message via AIM to BrianW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Oengus, where the heck do you find all this stuff out? I'm guessing that your profession is some kind of researcher? Thanks for the insights

Cheers,
Stew
I wonder that same thing, post after post after post after post.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #71

Keyword searches on the internet….

Highland has operations in China and those operations in or through associations had relationships with Xingyue.
http://en.luojiamotor.com/product/special.asp

Highland is in Tulsa Oklahoma now and adding domestic value to these products. However it would not surprise me if the gear box on their single water cooled engines are the same as on the Xingyue. I am not sure but I would bet that Highland is assembling in Tulsa parts coming out of china.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #72

One thing that you can be absolutely sure of is that nobody is paying me to say it!

Old 09-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #73

tee hee hee - If you have an IHS account, you can find out everything about everything, but that isn't important right now. What is important is I received my documentation for the DMV - which appears to be 100% squared away.

The MSO is legit and contains all the relevant info, and on the back is the odometer disclosure. I also have a bill of sale. The proof will be Tuesday when I hit the DMV with my checkbook and cookies

Daddy 8)

Old 09-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #74

FYI - the description on the Bill of Sale says the model is:
Zhejiang Xingyue XY400Y-2

daddy 8)

Old 09-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #75

I'm watching this thread with great interest, when I first joined this fantastic forum I was looking into a 400cc dual sport from Xingue Canada (yeah, spelt wrong I know...) I might have went for it but I believe they wanted over $5K for it here and the sales people scared me off with their seeming lack of organization. It's very nice to know that the bikes really do exist!

Cheers,
Stew