Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Spud, did you see the above post? Do you have any questions?
Thanks for the bump, Weld. Either I wasn't notified, or I missed the notification for your reply.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-27-2015, 01:53 PM   #62

Quote:
I see now that I hadn't brought you up to speed properly.

The welder wasn't set up properly to begin with, so it took some time to sort out. The tensioner was waaaay too tight, so the rocker arm cracked. BTW, Eastwood reports that the entire drive motor assembly (part #14438) is $34.01 with $10.95 shipping; it includes the rocker arm.

The nozzle was over-tightened, until it separated. $12.00 bought a package of two.

Tweco is one style of welder, Miller is another. Tweco uses screw-on nozzle, Miller uses a push-on nozzle. Both quite good, just different approaches. Tweco consumables are available at HF.

The screw that was missing was again a result of improper setup.

I do feel that this welder is robust enough for hobbyist use, and I'd buy one if I didn't already have a welder.
Thank you for the detailed reply. Because of your informative posts, I'm sold on the Eastwood welder.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-28-2015, 05:06 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Thanks for the bump, Weld. Either I wasn't notified, or I missed the notification for your reply.
You're welcome. BTW, when I said that $12.00 bought a pack of two nozzles, that was at a local tool store, over the counter, at regular price.

With a Tweco-style nozzle, just tighten the nozzle with your fingers; only use MIG pliers to remove the nozzle. It'll last a long time that way.

MIG pliers are a wonderful invention, and they're only a few dollars at HF. They are used for removing the nozzle, removing / installing new tips, cleaning the ID of the nozzle and cutting the wire stick-out to length. Keep a pair on your welding cart at all times.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-28-2015, 05:09 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Thank you for the detailed reply. Because of your informative posts, I'm sold on the Eastwood welder.
It's a nice little unit, particularly due to the infinite voltage control. I know I drone on and on about that, but it matters.

I now have the Eastwood loaded with 0.030" wire and tips, and fellow forum member AtomicWedgie laid down a few beads with it. The penetration was excellent, and the bead looked like a stack of dimes. He's an impressive welder though; that kind of skill takes time to develop.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-29-2015, 03:37 PM   #65

Quote:
I see now that I hadn't brought you up to speed properly.

The welder wasn't set up properly to begin with, so it took some time to sort out. The tensioner was waaaay too tight, so the rocker arm cracked. BTW, Eastwood reports that the entire drive motor assembly (part #14438) is $34.01 with $10.95 shipping; it includes the rocker arm.

The nozzle was over-tightened, until it separated. $12.00 bought a package of two.

Tweco is one style of welder, Miller is another. Tweco uses screw-on nozzle, Miller uses a push-on nozzle. Both quite good, just different approaches. Tweco consumables are available at HF.

The screw that was missing was again a result of improper setup.

I do feel that this welder is robust enough for hobbyist use, and I'd buy one if I didn't already have a welder.
I have had many machines over the years. The first wire feeder I bought was a shuberth or something like that, the 180 220v machine. It was good enough for a cheap machine.

After using many portables over the years, decided to get a 110 machine. The Lincolns and other machines had plastic parts in the drive section, where the Miller was metal. I bought the miller. Cost plenty, but a fine machine.

I recently purchased a Lotos off ebay, 3 in one, plasma tig and stick. I have only used it for stick so far and feels good. It's inverter style so a bit lighter than the miller.
Be a Piggy!

Old 11-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag00 View Post
The Lincolns and other machines had plastic parts in the drive section, where the Miller was metal.
That's one reason I bought a Miller a few years ago. That, and infinite voltage control.

That said, the Eastwood is 1/3 the cost, it has infinite voltage control and the drive tensioner rocker is very cheap to replace. It's a decent hobbyist welder.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #67

Do you run the argon mix or straight co2? I run co2, just works better for me.

I recently picked up a Lotos 3 in one plasma tig and stick machine. My brother had one and I was skeptical, but after using it, fell in love (for the price). The quality of the imports has improved some over the years. You still need to do your homework.

I used to weld for a living, you name it, I welded it. I moved to California and couldn't find work at a decent pay so I went into roof leak repair for nearly double the pay. I refuse to put on my hood for $10/h.

Out of curiosity last week, there was a job posted online, right in my wheelhouse, so I called. $12/hr. Are you kidding me? McD workers want $15, I'll sell burgers before I destroy my eyes and clothes and lungs again.
Be a Piggy!

Old 12-04-2015, 11:42 AM   #68

I use 75/25. I find it to be the best compromise between good penetration and a good looking weld. CO2 is a better shielding gas for penetration, but it leaves a good deal of spatter.

It sucks that a ticketed welder can't get a decent job in your area! That's one industry that pays well where I live.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:49 PM   #69

I hear ya, but actually a blessing. The health risks are great, many of the guys I was around acquired serious injuries. Buddy fell 35 feet to concrete, right next to me. Another worker dropped a beam on his arch, 5 feet from me, another lost his finger in a shear, thankfully nobody died near me, but many an ironworker has perished. The best pay I ever had was hanging iron. Really loved that too.

I have alot of fab shop and repair background as well, and I'm slow to the starting of my aftermarket motorcycle accessories business. I started a webpage with just excerpts from a business plan from a course I took.

Http://davesbmw.com

What's your background?
Be a Piggy!

Old 12-05-2015, 06:53 PM   #70

I've been kinda lurking on this thread and being quiet but it has reawakened my interest in stick welding. Like Spud, I took welding classes in the mid 90s and have a decent background in oxy-acetelyne, stick, mig, and tig. Unfortunately, I was promoted at work at the end of my third year of classes and couldn't finish the course the following year.

Anyway, I've been looking at the HF 80 amp Inverter stick welder for small jobs around the house. The kind of jobs that my old flux core welder would blow holes through.
http://www.harborfreight.com/80-amp-...der-61749.html

My local HF didn't have one in stock, so I was going to order it online when I got home. Mrs. C wanted to stop at Menards for some critter food so I wandered like I always do. Guess what I found?
http://www.menards.com/main/welding-...4448123451.htm Save for 5 amps and the color, the same unit, right down to the word for word description. At that price, I'd have bought two if they had two.

It came home with me. Along with some 6013 rod, mig pliers(needed a new pair), and a leather apron. I'll try it tomorrow on that beat up mower deck I have. I'll give a thumbs up or down report in the 'Winter Project' thread.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 12-06-2015, 09:02 AM   #71

Cheesy, I am interested to hear how it works. That may be be a good addition to my shop. Haven't used a stick welder since the mid 90s in High School.

After I pick up my tractor this afternoon I will likely have my welding projects.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:13 AM   #72

I know nothing about stick welders and I have zero need for one. But for some reason I have become interested and have been doing some research and shopping. The Harbor Freight 80amp Inverter Stick Welder seems to be universally very highly regarded for function and price. If only I had even one small project I needed it for. If I bought it now I would probably end up doing something stupid with it like welding my car doors shut Dukes of Hazzard style.

/

Old 12-07-2015, 11:37 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag00 View Post
What's your background?
Certainly not welding, other than working as a welder's apprentice as a summer job in 1980. I'm just a goofball with a decent MIG welder, but I'm like a dog with a bone when it comes to research. I read Haynes Welding Manual, along with a few other helpful items, and I asked the opinion of every greybeard I could find. By day, I'm a mild-mannered healthcare equipment technician, so there's no shortage of maintenance engineers to draw from. Beyond that, it's just a lot of practice.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
I've been kinda lurking on this thread and being quiet but it has reawakened my interest in stick welding. Like Spud, I took welding classes in the mid 90s and have a decent background in oxy-acetelyne, stick, mig, and tig. Unfortunately, I was promoted at work at the end of my third year of classes and couldn't finish the course the following year.

Anyway, I've been looking at the HF 80 amp Inverter stick welder for small jobs around the house. The kind of jobs that my old flux core welder would blow holes through.

My local HF didn't have one in stock, so I was going to order it online when I got home. Mrs. C wanted to stop at Menards for some critter food so I wandered like I always do. Guess what I found?
http://www.menards.com/main/welding-...4448123451.htm Save for 5 amps and the color, the same unit, right down to the word for word description. At that price, I'd have bought two if they had two.

It came home with me. Along with some 6013 rod, mig pliers(needed a new pair), and a leather apron. I'll try it tomorrow on that beat up mower deck I have. I'll give a thumbs up or down report in the 'Winter Project' thread.
I had a welder just like that, and I upgraded the ground wire and stinger wire, and I changed the stinger to the locking 90 degree type. Much easier to work with.

It helped a little, but it was still difficult to strike an arc with it. It was before I bought my Miller MIG, and it only served to convince me that shielding gas and a wire feed was the way to go for me. I ended up giving it away to my Bro in law.