Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2022, 10:25 PM   #661

I was farting around in the garage this afternoon and I noticed the water bottle cage on the 1968 Raleigh Superbe was bent. Upon closer inspection, it was actually broken. I had knocked the bike over a couple of weeks ago and hadn't noted the boogered up cage.

I'd already removed it from the seat tube in the pic. The cage is sitting on the chain guard at the bottom of the main triangle.

The cage is a sheet metal thing that uses a spring clamp instead of tension to keep the bottle in place and is at least 10 years older than the bike. The break was easier to repair than straightening out what was bent. The break was just a joint I sweated with silver solder.

I was going to sweat the joint with a big solder iron I got from my late FILs estate. As with everything else we got from Mrs.C's dad, it needed to be repaired before it could be used. So I used a butane torch after waiting 15 minutes for the iron to heat up. Iron is fixed now, tho.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 12-05-2022, 07:36 PM   #662

A bit of an update on the Raleigh Technium. With new tires, greasing the bearings that aren't sealed, replacing the saddle, and a wipe down, I'm calling it done. I finally found a serial number under some crud and was able to get it deciphered. R80390130. Turns out that it is a first year model.
R-Raleigh(duh)

Digits 1 and 5 are the year (86).
Digits 2, 3, and 4 are days of the year. 039 works out to Feb, 8.
Digits 6 thru 9 are the sequential number of the frame.

So, February 8, 1986 number 130. A very early Technium.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 12-06-2022, 01:35 PM   #663

Took the Technium out for a shakedown ride today. I came to realize that I have not used stem shifters since the early sixties. I did not like them then and I don't like them now. Other than that, it's pretty impressive. It's comparable to my Miyatas and 531 framed bikes. Stiff, but not harsh. Handles well, not sketchy like my track bikes. I do need to retrain myself on how to use derailleurs, too much time on 3 speeds and fixed gears. I think this will be an Old Pharts Ride bike.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 12-10-2022, 11:04 AM   #664

Another project heading my way.

Weez, my partner in bicycle crimes, is giving me an older Raleigh Record mixte frame and a bunch of wheels. One wheel has a Sturmey 3 speed hub. Another wheel is a tandem rear wheel with a drum brake. My oldest granddaughter needs a new bike geared low enough for the hills by her house.

Think, think.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 12-15-2022, 07:53 AM   #665

I lied. I molested the Technium by replacing the hated stem shifters with bar ends. I've put the stem shifters and accouterments in a safe place if I ever sell it. I'll just need to remember where that is.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 12-15-2022, 08:00 AM   #666

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
I lied. I molested the Technium by replacing the hated stem shifters with bar ends. I've put the stem shifters and accouterments in a safe place if I ever sell it. I'll just need to remember where that is.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-16-2022, 05:43 PM   #667

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Im glad you shelved the stem shifters. Those things can hurt you where it hurts.

Old 02-11-2023, 08:12 PM   #668

The Ural and I took a couple of my older bikes to a vintage bicycle show in Naperville, IL this afternoon.

The blue bike is my 1990 Miyata 600GT that I rode in the 1991 Paris-Brest-Paris Rondonee, back when I was a young guy with hair. The black one is a 1964 Dunelt Sports, aka, The Tetanus Express.

A lot of drool worthy machines were displayed.

Yet, The Tetanus Express classed the place up.

Seriously, though, The Tetanus Express garnered a lot of interest. I was asked a boatload of questions about the 2 speed fixed gear hub I built. And why.
The host did video interviews with the owners of some of the more interesting bikes and I was one of his picks.

This was one of the other picks and one heck of a cool bike. A curved tube Schwinn Paramount.

I had a pretty good time and met some nice folks. Looking forward to next year.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 02-11-2023, 10:36 PM   #669

Man looking at that Paramount i can only imagine how twitchy that would ride with that wheelbase/headtube angle combo....just asking to highside a corner with that...

Old 02-12-2023, 12:53 PM   #670

Hoping one or more here can provide some info on the following bike I purchased from aseller on my local OfferUp site. The brand is "Scott", model "Peak". Has some Shamono components on it. Kickstand has "Made In USA" in the casting, but the frame has a "Made in Tiawan" sticker on it. Curious as to the value of it and what year it was made. Stampings on the bottom of the crank appear to be M7GV10226. That "G" might be a "6". Difficult for me to tell even with a magnifying glass.
From what I've gathered so far, it appears to be made by the same company "Scott" who makes motorcycle goggles along with other outdoor sporting equipment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20230212_091821.jpg (195.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20230212_091752.jpg (258.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20230212_092040.jpg (141.0 KB, 7 views)
Yamaha TT-R 50

Old 02-16-2023, 11:50 AM   #671

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeebleWobble View Post
Hoping one or more here can provide some info on the following bike I purchased from aseller on my local OfferUp site. The brand is "Scott", model "Peak". Has some Shamono components on it. Kickstand has "Made In USA" in the casting, but the frame has a "Made in Tiawan" sticker on it. Curious as to the value of it and what year it was made. Stampings on the bottom of the crank appear to be M7GV10226. That "G" might be a "6". Difficult for me to tell even with a magnifying glass.
From what I've gathered so far, it appears to be made by the same company "Scott" who makes motorcycle goggles along with other outdoor sporting equipment.
Drive side pics are always a plus.

Your Scott is from the 90s to the early oughts. The Peak model was the mid range of the Scott MTB food chain. It's not to say it's a bad bike, but it's not top o' the line. The threadless headset and the cantilever brakes tell me it's not a bottom feeder.

The range of models for any bike is usually based on the components, or group sets, hung on the frame and the fork. Shimano Altus is low to mid range and suitable for anyone that's not earning their living by racing. Shimano Dura-Ace is the good stuff in the Shimano lineup. The kick stand was an add on.

Scott does not make their own bikes. They, and almost everyone else, write a spec for a bike and the bulk are built by Giant or one of their subsidiaries in China.

As far as value, it will be what the market will bear. The Alex rims are a plus and it looks in nice shape.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 02-18-2023, 09:51 PM   #672

Love mine

Old 03-06-2023, 12:30 AM   #673

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER View Post
Love mine

Thanks for posting your video!

I still enjoy riding a bicycle Tomasso because this is not the same as riding a motorcycle. It's a kinda meditative thing when you want to feel nature and your body. The motorcycle is about adrenaline, strong feelings, and speed.

Last edited by Addryn; 03-19-2023 at 08:55 AM.

Old 04-09-2023, 03:28 PM   #674

Fini.

The n8cycle, a seventies something 23" Raleigh Sports frame, with assorted Raleigh Industries bits, can be called finished. It is the choice for the 2023 edition of the Lake Pepin 3 Speed Tour. www.3speedtour.com

I rode the n8cycle in the 2018 edition and was not all that happy with n8s' choice of swept back handle bars. Something wasn't hunky dory with the 3 speed hub, either. I swapped out the swept back bars for drop bars and related bits and rebuilt the rear hub. All better, now. I took it on a short shake down ride this morning and was about 99% happy with it. A tweek here and there and it will be perfect.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 05-19-2023, 08:04 AM   #675

All loaded up and ready for this year's edition of the Lake Pepin 3 Speed Tour. www.3speedtour.com

Kinda, sorta cheating this year as I'm only camping out one night with two nights in a hotel. I'm sitting on something like a half million Holiday Inn points, so I figured, "Why not".

Heading out for the 300+ mile scoot to Red Wing in about three hours.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800