Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2021, 07:05 PM   #586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball Matt View Post
Aw crap does this mean I really gotta start posting build stuff again to justify my still loitering here?
You have almost 10 months.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 01-08-2021, 08:37 PM   #587

I have to go to Beaufort on Monday. Along with Jason, Harold, and our Rocky Mountain sales rep. Jason, and the rep are inspecting the supposed to be fixed truck. I'm supposedly inspecting a new 360 crane. I think Harold just wants out of the house, though I would not be surprised if he's going there to pressure me into changing my mind about retir...Nope, not effen happening.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 01-12-2021, 03:24 PM   #588

You have to tell your boss you want a new pair of socks as a retirement gift.

When he gives them to you, yell "DOBBY IS FREEEEE!" and run out of the building, cackling like a madman.

g.

Old 01-16-2021, 09:52 AM   #589

I survived Beaufort but I have to go back again next week. I spent most of my time working with the guys building the 360 and getting information from Italy about undocumented changes that had been done. When I say undocumented, changes were made by engineering and manufacturing in Italy, but we weren't told.

The guys spent two days before I got there trying to get the high hails on the the 360 to function correctly. I spent my first day there doing the same. I finally gave up and emailed my contact at the factory in Italy. Turned out they changed locking valves and said nothing. I asked for the tech drawings of both the old and new valves and forwarded them to our engineering staff because they are the ones that get paid to figure this stuff out. They were telling me about the pilot ratio differences and a bunch of technical crap about the internal differences. I looked at the two drawings and asked if the guys who make a lot more money than I do noticed that the valve porting on the new valves was the complete opposite of the old valves. "Uh, duh". I dusted off one of the old Elgin tubing benders that the new management team said didn't fit into the new image and showed the guys how to use it to make new pipes so we could mount the valves the other way. Man, the high rails sure worked great after that.

The new CEO happened to be nearby when we were cheering. So he came by to see what we were on about. I stood back and let the other guys tell him how we got it working. They told him they got more done in the three days I was there than the last two weeks.

And I called it, Harold is trying to get me to reconsider my retirement. He's offering me about the same package he has. AND, I ain't too impressed with it.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 01-16-2021, 06:04 PM   #590

I love your stories!
1975 Corvette
2017 Chevy Bolt

“Throttle twisting geek” -LFN

Old 01-23-2021, 08:59 AM   #591

It was an interesting week at Beaufort where not much got done thanks to Covid management ineptitude. I basically managed 1.5 days of work out of three because it.

The teams working on the crane are starting to gel, so that's a good sign. I am going to push for the guys to get to spend time at the main factory in Italy once international travel can happen again. Something that I never got to do but it would be great for them.

Other than the Covid comedy, the other truly Beaufort thing that happened was that Purchasing, in their wisdom, ordered machine 12v batteries from France that won't be delivered until April. I went down the street and picked up one at O'reilly's so we could at last get one out the door.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 01-23-2021, 09:51 AM   #592

Not sure if you realize this Cheesy ,but if you retire the company is going to fall apart .

Old 01-23-2021, 10:09 AM   #593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
Not sure if you realize this Cheesy ,but if you retire the company is going to fall apart .
I can imagine the day he retires and slowly walks out of the gate as the factory blows up behind him
Ex:Bashan BS200-S7 `07 Streetfighter-quad

Old 01-23-2021, 08:51 PM   #594

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball Matt View Post
I can imagine the day he retires and slowly walks out of the gate as the factory blows up behind him
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 01-26-2021, 03:15 PM   #595

If my hands weren’t covered in hydraulic oil today, it would have been an all day affair of face palming.

Jason, Junior, and myself are in TN/VA area, fixing what I broke on the spendy leaf blower. Jason and I flew down, Junior drove up from Beaufort with the replacement parts. One of those parts was a Freightliner front bumper that weighed in at 185lbs. So, Junior drives 360 miles yesterday to get here with no issues. Today, it’s 18 miles to the job site. In those 18 miles, his tailgate opened up and the bumper stayed in the bed but dragged on the road. Jason and Junior got it back in the pickup. I stayed in the rental because I could. A few more miles down road, the bumper flies out of the truck. This time I get out to help. We get the bumper back in the pick up and I ask Junior where his tie down straps are. He said there were none at the shop so he left without tying the bumper down.
Face Palm #1

We get to the truck. Jason and I start pulling stuff so we can replace the bent and broken parts. I ask Junior for a 15-18” crescent wrench. He says he doesn’t have one, just large wrenches. None of the wrenches are big enough.
Face Palm #2

He, instead, hands me a rusty pipe wrench.
Face Palm #3

We manage to make the pipe wrench work. I went to open the tailgate on Junior’s truck and the damn thing just fell open. Just missed getting whacked by the bumper. Junior says that it’s been doing that for the past week or two.
Face Palm #4

I decide to show Junior how to fix the latches while Jason runs into town for stuff that Junior should have in his truck. I take off the cover off and the entire latch mechanism is rusted and won’t fully return. “Junior, give me your can of WD40.” Junior doesn’t have any.
Face Palm #5

While we are waiting for Jason, Junior gets a call from the shop. Three more people have tested positive for Covid.
Face Palm #6

However, the Irony Gods blessed us regarding the Covid news. The head of HR was one of those who tested positive. She has been a denier since the S first HTF.

To shorten a long story, we are about 90% done with the truck. Things are going pretty good with it. Jason and I will finish it tomorrow.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Last edited by cheesy; 01-26-2021 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Proofreading is a lost art.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:35 AM   #596

Well, poop.
Junior turned in his notice yesterday, which mean both Jason and my workloads went up fifty percent each.
I knew it was coming, known it for six months. I blame management, even Harold. The kid was promised the moon, and had yet to receive a single payment of green cheese over almost three years. So he bailed.

I did have some issues with him, but not with his work ethic. He would bust his a$$. But, he'd get mixed up in the office drama, spend too much time on social media, was the King of Covid tests due to his hypochondria and his mastery of English language skills was woefully lacking. Lacking enough so that I would cringe and have flashbacks of having my knuckles cracked with Mrs. Kuskas' wood ruler if I spoke or wrote like that.

I think my last 8.5 months will suck even more than they do now.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 02-11-2021, 09:58 AM   #597

Well, the new CFO didn’t even make six months. Her last day is Monday. Also found out yesterday that after 25 years, we are switching from AT&T to T-mobile for our cell phones. Never asked the field guys for their input, just said we’re switching. There has been a great wailing and gnashing of teeth from us in the field. Those of us that have T-mobile for their personal phones have told management that they will regret this move.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 02-11-2021, 12:32 PM   #598

Just a cost cutting measure, of course, but on the other hand, phone plans are way too expensive in the US. I'm in France, and I pay ~$25/month for unlimited everything, without a contract.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:24 AM   #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
Just a cost cutting measure, of course, but on the other hand, phone plans are way too expensive in the US. I'm in France, and I pay ~$25/month for unlimited everything, without a contract.
Yes, a cost cutting measure. If they really wanted to cut costs, though, they'd stop sending product out the door that wasn't right or to spec just to make the books look good to the Overlords. But that doesn't make sense in the corporate world.

And yes, phones are expensive here.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 02-12-2021, 08:35 AM   #600

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Well, the new CFO didn’t even make six months. Her last day is Monday. Also found out yesterday that after 25 years, we are switching from AT&T to T-mobile for our cell phones. Never asked the field guys for their input, just said we’re switching. There has been a great wailing and gnashing of teeth from us in the field. Those of us that have T-mobile for their personal phones have told management that they will regret this move.
We wnt thru that a few yrs ago back when i was still on the road... ATT gave us a great deal... and our headquarters (2 hrs from where my store was at the time) had great reception.... we had great coverage with verizon, but the ATT phones couldnt even get a signal within 20 miles of our store....LOL