Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2011, 02:33 AM   #46

I found this on CL tonight: DIRT BIKE PEGS AND STAND NEW

I could pick it up and mail it to you if you like. The stand will be too long, but I'm not sure by how much. It could certainly be chopped to suit. Lemme know.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I found this on CL tonight: DIRT BIKE PEGS AND STAND NEW

I could pick it up and mail it to you if you like. The stand will be too long, but I'm not sure by how much. It could certainly be chopped to suit. Lemme know.
I'm going to have to order a bunch of stuff from DrAtv so I think I'll probably just get them there and try to combine the shipping on everything I need. Thanks for looking though!

Old 09-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #48

Motor came in! :)

Checked the mail this morning after dropping my son off at school. The Lifan showed up! I wasn't expecting it for a few more days as the tracking showed it stuck at customs for 2 days. It was packed well and looks like it survived it's journey unscathed. Came with all electrics needed for it to run and a carb. Surprising thing is the carb says Japan on the side... Maybe a Keihin clone? Here's a couple of pics of it, sorry for the crap lighting but I have it downstairs in my dark and trendy 70's rumpus room. Now, to order more parts!!

I think this is going to be a sweet winter project for me... Hopefully it will help me get my motorcycle fix so I don't go nuts when theres 4 feet of snow on the ground!

P.S. And now that I'm all grown up and wiser, I promise not to use a hammer and a screwdriver to pull the flywheel on this one

Old 09-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #49

That's a nice looking engine, Stew!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #50

You're gonna love that engine. Son of Weldangrind had that mill in a pit bike, and it pulled like a tractor. For cheap insurance, I recommend a spring loaded shifter.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #51

Thanks guys . I'm really starting to get excited about this project! I pulled the existing motor out last night... Lol, took all of about 20 minutes counting removing exhaust and skid plate, these things are really easy to work on . I have to make up a list of things I need to get for it and send in an order... I'm amazed at how much stuff is gone off of it. Heck, even the valve stem cores are gone! I think I was robbing parts from it for my other bikes and never replaced them, bummer!

I think the Lifan wll be an excellent motor for the CT, if it runs as nicely as our Zongshens do in the ATV's I will be very impressed!

Old 09-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #52

The factory 125 carb was a little lean in Son of Weldangrind's pit bike, and there was a great deal of compression you had to overcome when starting. That compression will be no problem for you, but it can break the kicker components.

The solution is to vent the upper valve cap. You can either do a homemade version or buy the fancy anodized cap. The bottom line is that the cap should have a hole drilled in it and a barbed fitting installed that will accept a piece of hose. Route the hose up over the engine and down behind the swingarm to where the crankcase vent hose will be. Not only will it be easier to start, it will free up some power by removing the pressure in the top end.

Watch the plug closely. You may need to get fatter jets.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #53

If you're interested, I gathered a few of the maintenance / mod items from Son of Weldangrind's Pit Bike and created a sticky in the Pit Bike forum. Maybe some of it will be a benefit to you.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #54

Quote:
If you're interested, I gathered a few of the maintenance / mod items from Son of Weldangrind's Pit Bike and created a sticky in the Pit Bike forum. Maybe some of it will be a benefit to you.
Thanks W&G, I'll be sure to check 'em out! I had read about the 140's being a bear to kick and people even breaking the cases kicking them over, but I didn't know that the 125's were hard to kick as well. I'm interested in the valve cover mod you mentioned, do you mean the actual little cover that covers the valve adjuster? Wouldn't happen to have a picture by chance?

I'd love to slap the motor in the frame, unfortunately it looks like my lower motor mount bolt is pooched and my top one is missing! Lol, more stuff for my list...

Old 09-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #55

Another quick question for you W&G, just checking the pit bike thread and noticed you have a proper flywheel puller, did you get it from Honda? I had one for my old CX500, but I cant for the life of me find it now...

Old 09-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #56

Put in a couple of parts orders... In a couple of weeks I should pretty much have enough stuff to get the old girl running again, it's gonna be fun!

Old 09-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #57

I bought my flywheel puller on eBay. Here's one: Flywheel Puller/Extractor For KYMCO VENTO PGO HONDA GY6 I bought it for my daughter's GY6 Monster quad, but it also fits horizontal dirt bike / atv engines and Honda (and clone) verticals.

Yes, I mean drill a hole in the upper valve cap that covers the valve adjuster. Here's a pic, but I didn't use an oil cooler, just the vented cap: 4 Stroke Oil Cooler Tube It's really easy to make with just a brass barbed fitting from Rona and a pipe thread tap.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #58

Quote:
I bought my flywheel puller on eBay. Here's one: Flywheel Puller/Extractor For KYMCO VENTO PGO HONDA GY6 I bought it for my daughter's GY6 Monster quad, but it also fits horizontal dirt bike / atv engines and Honda (and clone) verticals.

Yes, I mean drill a hole in the upper valve cap that covers the valve adjuster. Here's a pic, but I didn't use an oil cooler, just the vented cap: 4 Stroke Oil Cooler Tube It's really easy to make with just a brass barbed fitting from Rona and a pipe thread tap.
Cool, thanks for the info!

Old 10-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #59

Parts came!

Yay me! Got a nice box 'o parts from dratv today... Think I have enough stuff now to build a bike!!

Old 10-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #60

Re: Parts came!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Yay me! Got a nice box 'o parts from dratv today... Think I have enough stuff now to build a bike!!
That's wonderful! We eagerly await your photos.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894