Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2010, 01:53 AM   #46

As a bit of an aside, I used to get good value from our Aircare program in BC. For $24.00, you got a decent dyno report that broke down various pollutants at idle and at speed. If you took the time to interpret the data, you could trend component failure. As an example, I was able to pinpoint EGR failure, rather than take it to a certified shop and spend cash on it.

Like every good thing, they changed it. The document doesn't say much more than pass or fail now. There is some detail, but nothing worthwhile. :(

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #47

2LZ,
Yeah, now I remember, thanks to your post, about using a marble in the hose to block the air on my ex W650.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #48

That little device only meters air into the exhaust, only Forchetto noticed the sound it makes. I noticed it and it was the only thing that I do not like about it. It has a pair of reed valves that open and close under two forces the back pressure from the exhaust and the vacuum off the carburetor. Since the modifying of the exhaust reduces back pressure that act may render it inoperable? The back pressure is what opens the first reed valve but only if the second is opened by the vacuum of the carburetor. It can sound like a valve ticking as it times with the valves.

It has a chamber in the engine and that concern me taking it off or it not opening could cause carbon build up in that area? It’s not on the pipe anymore its on the case and just under the exhaust port. It oxidizes that area then as the exhaust valve open it creates some secondary burning and evacuates out the exhaust pipe.

That air can only enter when backpressure pushes on the first reed valve then the second reed valve is pulled back by vacuum off the carburetor, so it only opens under certain circumstances or condition, when is vacuum strongest, is it midrange? The reed valves are between the air box and the port, they are like a sandwich so they work together. I can actually control it with my throttle and speed, it makes a sound you can hear….it amazing that only Forchetto and I noticed that. He said he took his off because he did not like the banging sound it made, I would call it a tapping sound, it makes you think it’s the valves.

Taking it off…only negative result is that your going to be exposed to cancer causing hydrocarbons and it could cause carbon buildup on the exhaust valve and certainly in that chamber that they created under the actual exhaust port. I hate the noise it makes, I usually ride under it and occasionally accelerate past it, I think it only opens between 5500-6000 rpm.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #49

Tusk ATV tank bag

Small bungee to hold the front down on the Tusk ATV tank bag.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #50

I love the Tusk products, and I love shopping at Rocky Mountain ATV!

P.S. You did a superb job on the XT225 luggage rack; it looks great!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #51

Spud,
Thanks, I'm painting the aluminum part of the rack black and finishing the new taillight install tomorrow.
Waiting for the large JCW top box to be delivered. Does it have any lights or can you add any?

Old 11-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
Spud,
Thanks, I'm painting the aluminum part of the rack black and finishing the new taillight install tomorrow.
Waiting for the large JCW top box to be delivered. Does it have any lights or can you add any?
You're welcome, Bar. If you have time, please post photos of the painted luggage rack! Did you choose the DRC Edge 2 tail light?

The J.C. Whitney travel trunk has a large, circular reflector on the rear; however, it does not have any lights. If you search the internet, I believe you might find some owners who have added lights to their J.C. Whitney travel trunks. However, if you add lights, you will need to add an electrical wire exiting the trunk. Also, if you wish to be able to detach your travel trunk, you will need to add two plugs to connect, and disconnect the trunk from your bike's electrical system.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #53

Spud,
I chose a different light. I'll post photos as soon as I get it installed.

I added a trunk to my SYM HD200 Scooter and it came with running and brake lights that I wired up with a quick disconnect so that I could remove the trunk and use it on my XT225. I'll look for examples of how lights were added to the JCW trunk.

I like lots of carrying capacity on my bikes.
Even have a trailer that I pull behind my bikes.

I had two of the trailers but sold one to a friend of mine who has to ride a liquor bike (too many DUI's) and here he is hamming it up hauling some trailer trash.

Please forgive me if I have already posted this info here. I belong to too many bike forums.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:32 PM   #54

Barnone, The photo of the guy on the liquor bike is just as funny as it was the first time.

Do you have a close-up shot of how you attach the trailer? The ATV bags are a neat idea, BTW.

Oengus, vacuum is highest at idle. It is inversely proportional to rpm (to a point).

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-13-2010, 09:19 AM   #55

W&G,

Senior moment here on the double post of the liquor cycle.

Did I also post this photo of another guy that I put on these trailer?
He is on his way from Pearl River,LA to the Smokies for a rally.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #56

Wasn't there a guy who rode a Lifan powered Honda Trail 70 (90?) to Sturgis?

Old 11-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #57

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...t=9066&start=0

If I get mine going I will try to make a road trip on it.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Wasn't there a guy who rode a Lifan powered Honda Trail 70 (90?) to Sturgis?
FastDoc,
Same guy, ChuckKLR04. Quite a character who I was suppose to meet at Bike Week but he couldn't make it. Maybe this year but I won't be riding my CT70 clone that far.
I'll take my Tacoma and sleep in the back and the bike will be on the carrier.

EDIT katoranger,
Oh, I see Chuck has already been here. I'm behind the times as usual.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #59

Barnone,

I hadn't seen that second photo before. I wish I could make out his sign; he's loaded for bear!

I had a trailer behind my '81 Vespa Grande moped when I was a kid, and I hauled all kinds of stuff in it. It was a little tough to get moving, but I could maintain a steady 30mph. Mine had a home-fabricated hitch plate at the rear of the frame above the tail light, and there was a small u-joint in it.

Yours looks to be store bought, and I'm guessing that you have a hitch for each one of the bikes. Is that pin a quick release? How is the trailer in the turns?

Old 11-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #60

W&G,
It's a AOSOM bike trailer.
# Trailer Weight: 35lbs
# Max loading : 180lb
I did put Kevlar BMX tires and heavy duty tubes on the wheels.
http://www.aosom.com/index.php?main_...1034a4bdbe64d8
Handles the curves just fine. I had a picture of me on my scooter chasing the Harleys on the Dragon but lost it somewhere. I did turn it over once when I ran one wheel up a bank on a gravel road. Wasn't paying attention and cut it too close but it just dragged behind upside down. Duh, whats that noise? Stopped and flipped it up right, loaded the garbage back in, and continued to the dump.

Changed out my taillights and painted the rear rack black today.

LED with integrated turn signals. Got it on Ebay.
Didn't come with a wiring diagram but I figured it out. Took the rack apart
apart and painted the rails black. I think it looks better. Where is my JCW top box?lol

Lights seem bright enough.