Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2010, 10:23 PM   #46

Really? I thought the movie tried to make it look like it was the conservatives fault?

Old 07-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Really? I thought the movie tried to make it look like it was the conservatives fault?
Another Liberal party funded movie?

I remember that flick, and cringing everytime Dan A's character had to ask for more money. I remember thinking, "what a shame! spend all that money and destroy all the work and effort and money previously spent." .. I'll have to watch it again as I don't remember too well all the reasoning around the cancellation and destruction at the end.

The arrow lived on in the Concorde though, from my understanding.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:35 AM   #48

If you don't want to know the plot, don't read on, spoilers ahead maybe...

Basically they made it out that the Americans didn't want us to have better technology and that the Arrow was a threat to the U2, so their President convinced our Prime Minister(portrayed as somewhat of a gullible person I think) that manned fighter jets were obsolete and we should use their missile defense. They were trying to please people by cutting wasteful Liberal spending and the Arrow was a huge cost. Dan Ackroyd's character was a bit of an alcoholic and having marriage troubles (falling apart), he kept the Arrow performance numbers down to wait for the Avro made engines so he could sell them as well as the Arrow. No free publicity for the other guys engines. And then he went off and yelled at the prime minister who in turn snapped and ordered everything destroyed.

I'm not saying this is history or fact, but that is how I recall the movie presenting it.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #49

Pretty well spot on Jim....... The aftermath of the story is: Avro closed, the US missiles were a busted flush, we ended up with MacDonald-Douglas airplanes (assembled at Canadair in Montreal), and the aviation industry in Canada died.

Oh, it thrashed on for a few years (and still "thrashes" on), but as a "weak sister" to the US.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:06 PM   #50

I wonder how different Canada (and the world) would be now if that had gone different...

Old 07-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #51

I suppose thats about what everyone who gets caught up in this story wonders.

Strange, but typical, that our government assembled the world's greatest aviation engineers just to simply blow them off.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:09 PM   #52

"Paint Your Wagon" the only musical I can stand and I laugh my tail off every time I watch it. Clint Sings for crying out loud, It kills me.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:33 PM   #53

Forbidden Planet
2001, A Space Odyssey
Into The Wild
The Day the Earth Stood Still(the original)
Vanishing Point
Breaking Away
Visitors(The French original)

Good 'Bad' Movies

Tremors
Slither
Joe's Apartment
Rocky Horror Picture Show

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 07-31-2010, 09:03 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy
Slither

I only bought it because it had Corb Lund in it

Old 08-04-2010, 07:57 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I actually don't remember Starship Troopers, though I probably did watch it when it came out...
that would be a hard movie to forget seeing....giant bugs eating people relentlessly...hard to forget.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #56

Transformer…GI Joe. Science fiction action films with excellent special effects, they really get you when they have the good guys against the bad guys saving humanity from destruction and then with an underling love story. Its funny how as its all going down the leading man and woman always end up making out. The girl in transformer was smoking hot and a motorcycle mechanic wish my mechanic looked like that.

Star war is the epic drama it has all the elements…..the mummy movies are also very good.

I also like movies that play with the concept of time…like twelve monkeys, terminator and mission to mars.

Alot of movies have messages in them...hollywood does that, I laugh at it but wonder if some people are getting their heads messed up over these underlying messages.

There are a couple of mind benders....Gattica is one the Matrix is another.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oengus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I actually don't remember Starship Troopers, though I probably did watch it when it came out...
that would be a hard movie to forget seeing....giant bugs eating people relentlessly...hard to forget.
Hahaha! Perfect description, but you left out the part about it being really cheesy in between the eating and gore, and a couple yummy chicks.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:03 AM   #58

While there is a lot of chitty movies out there, there is also really good movies.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but I really love historical movies like "Master & Commander", "The Alamo" - basically anything that is realistic in nature when it comes to history.

Into The Wild was one of the greatest stories I've ever seen. I think it is because of Emile as he played a very good role in "The Girl Next Door" - which I think is one of the greatest movies made.

Starship Troopers was great. I loved it. I can remember my sister saying "I'm in love with Rico" the sequels, wasn't as good as the first. Tin Cup was also a great movie and then I have a soft spot for movies like "The Green Mile", "The Notebook", "Shawshank Redemption", "PS. I Love You" and many many more. Oh and don't forget Pirates of the Caribbean. Jack Sparrow is just the best.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:49 AM   #59

October Sky is a good one. And Astronaut Farmer, and North Country.

Radio Flyer is on with Tom Hanks, looks like a good one.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #60

Top Gun, Days of Thunder... Not much difference between the two, except in Top Gun Tom rides a sport bike... Oh and Goose Doesn't die in Days of Thunder they just take away his pilots license... Good movies though.

Also, The Huricane with Denzel Washington (ok, almost anything with Denzel Washington).

Joe Dirt is pretty good too, Christopher Walken and David Spade.