Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #46

Looks like I'll need to check if I have a 10mm wrench, 14mm deep socket(if I use the flywheel nut instead of the kickstarter) and if my feeler gauges are metric and have .05 and .08 measurements.

Sounds like the manual recommends waiting until 641 miles for the first adjustment. Would you override that and just do it as soon as possible Weld?

I'm also going to try to put together a small tool kit to put in that false muffler. So far I'm picturing putting in a 6" crescent, 8/10/12mm wrenches, #2 phillips, zipties, tire pressure gauge, spare fuel line clamp, maybe one of those spare tire inflaters from a CO2 bicycle inflater thingies, blue loctite, and spare fuse.

Will probably take the bike on 2 mile trip to grocery store in a few minutes and then a 20 mile round trip ride later on today.

May also pick up a AAA membership. I don't mind being stuck by the side of the road but I don't have many friends/family in the local area and I don't want the bike to get ripped off while I get a taxi home to get the van and trailer.
TODO: fix leak, lost bolts, valve adj., countershaft sprocket cover, fix fenders, 250mi oil change, grease swingarm, fuel filter, fabricate mud flap, lube odometer seal, reinf license bracket, sprocket upgrade, inner tubes, TT Vapour, batt box

Old 08-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #47

I would certainly adjust the valves now, and every few oil changes.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #48

I like the AAA idea! I was thinking of doing the same but haven't got around to it yet. Here in Alberta, if you get the premium package through AMA (same idea as AAA) they will also tow motorhomes and motorcycles. I don't have too many friends and family that I would want to trouble to come pick me up out in the sticks if I break down

Old 08-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #49

ok, will add valve adjustment to the immediate list. top of the immediate list after today's 20 mile ride is figure out what's leaking oil and replace it. Went 10 miles and whatever it is was leaking pretty good, about 10 drops when I stopped at the gas station(just from stopping and getting off the bike) then another drop every 30 seconds. It's probably the shock as everything around it is sprayed with a thinner mist but there's real oil on the shock.

Lost one of the large nuts to the shock absorber today and one of the small bolts that hold on the flywheel bolt cover. Kind of wore out and not excited about the bike at the moment. When I do some more work on it I'll get y'all another update.

As for AAA, I've had them in the past when cars or trucks weren't highly reliable. Breaking down sucks but when you know you've got a free tow back to your home it lessens the pain and annoyance.
TODO: fix leak, lost bolts, valve adj., countershaft sprocket cover, fix fenders, 250mi oil change, grease swingarm, fuel filter, fabricate mud flap, lube odometer seal, reinf license bracket, sprocket upgrade, inner tubes, TT Vapour, batt box

Old 08-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #50

Danny, when you're ready, you can dismantle the shock for inspection. If it has an adjustment for spring pressure, back it off to the lightest setting, then remove the shock. With the help of a friend, you can compress the spring while your friend removes the nut. I use two large wrenches covered with masking tape as tools to compress the spring. I place one end of the shock on the ground (on plywood if you're worried about scratches), and I place the wrenches between the coil and press down hard. Old Hondas are nice, because they have discs that are very easy to remove, instead of removing a nut. Be careful.

Once you have the shock apart, you'll know right away if the oil is gone. It will push and pull with very little resistance.

On second thought, do you have an engine vent hose that is routed up high? Perhaps it's dripping oil onto the shock. The vent hole is on the top of the engine, right under the carb. Follow the hose that is attached and see where it goes.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #51

Weld, that might be it. That tube empties out right above my chain. From there I guess it could be throwing oil all over the place. I only put in the full quart of oil I had during the oil change and it doesn't read above the high mark on the dial when I stand the bike upright.

Anyhow, I've routed it inside the wheel well portion of the frame so it shouldn't drip directly on the chain. But it's not directly inline with the tire either so hopefully I won't create a slippery tire. Should I just drain a few tablespoons of oil or try plugging the hose with a q-tip and ride it a mile and see if that's the source?

The question is a bit moot as I won't be able to get parts to fix some of the other issues until late this week. Not moving it until I blue loctite down all the 17mm nuts. I'm SHOCKED that one of the shock absorber nuts fell off. I probably shouldn't be, but I am.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #52

Dang you're good, Weld! 8)

I'm SHOCKED that one of the shock absorber nuts fell off. I probably shouldn't be, but I am.

That's funny right there!

Old 08-14-2012, 01:00 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyPizdetz
Weld, that might be it. That tube empties out right above my chain. From there I guess it could be throwing oil all over the place. I only put in the full quart of oil I had during the oil change and it doesn't read above the high mark on the dial when I stand the bike upright.

Anyhow, I've routed it inside the wheel well portion of the frame so it shouldn't drip directly on the chain. But it's not directly inline with the tire either so hopefully I won't create a slippery tire. Should I just drain a few tablespoons of oil or try plugging the hose with a q-tip and ride it a mile and see if that's the source?

The question is a bit moot as I won't be able to get parts to fix some of the other issues until late this week. Not moving it until I blue loctite down all the 17mm nuts. I'm SHOCKED that one of the shock absorber nuts fell off. I probably shouldn't be, but I am.
Don't drain any oil out yet. In fact, don't use the dipstick as a guide if your engine is equipped with a sight glass. Just hold the bike upright and view the sight glass. Add as necessary.

Move the vent hose away from the tire; we don't want to read about you in the paper. Also, if you plug the hose, the pressure will find another way out, and you won't like it.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #54

I was referring to the sight guide when I said it wasn't reading high. Sorry. It has a dipstick but that was a new concept to me on a bike so I just relied on the sight guide since that's what I'm used to.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #55

I have been out riding Idaho's Magruder Corridor the last 4 days, so I haven't been able to check this thread. You have done a lot of good work while I have been away. You are making very good progress, Danny.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #56

I have been out riding Idaho's Magruder Corridor the last 4 days...

We are on pins and needles for the Ride Report Spud! That's an epic trip! :P

Old 08-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #57

4 day ride. I can only dream about that.