Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2016, 06:35 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclelove View Post
Motocheez told me with the 17 45 combo stock chain should be fine for a while with no links taken off.
Okay cool. Stock is the 428-130 chain right?

Old 09-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95C1500 View Post
What chain did you go with? How much did you have to shortn it?
I use the stock chain. I couldn't fit just the 17 front, the chain wasn't long enough.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:51 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic View Post
I use the stock chain. I couldn't fit just the 17 front, the chain wasn't long enough.
Okay that's good. I planned to do both anyways. Now I just plan to do them both and a better chain at the same time

Old 09-18-2016, 08:33 PM   #49

Quote:
How was the chain not long enough? You went from a 15 50 stock to a 17 45?? +2 in front -5 in back. Math don't add up don't listen to this guy

Old 09-18-2016, 09:46 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclelove View Post
How was the chain not long enough? You went from a 15 50 stock to a 17 45?? +2 in front -5 in back. Math don't add up don't listen to this guy
It sounds like he went from 15/50 to 17/50

Old 09-18-2016, 09:53 PM   #51

I have 17/45 on the stock chain. My chain is new and unstretched, there wasn't enough forward travel for the rear axle to fit just the 17, as in 17/50. I have read others were able to fit 17 with stock 50 on the rear, but their chains had already stretched some.

Also, my front sprocket cover did not need cutting to fit the 17, I've seen others needed it cut. Mine did require finagling to fit, but once I figured out how to angle it in, it goes in and out easy.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:07 PM   #52

I'm sure everones Hawk responds a little different but my hawk out of the crate would have to keep the carb on full choke for 15-20 minutes until it was good and hot then I could move it to half choke then 5 minutes later move it to no choke. It wouldn't let me WOT until it was hot. I picked up a VM26 carb off ebay for $39 and a needle kit too. Mine likes the 110 main. I never got around to doing the pilot so my needle clip is at the bottom ( most rich ) setting. If I adjust the pilot I think I will be able to get that clip in the middle. I will fiddle with it later , but now it runs great. starts right up, idles nicely and WOT is fun. The entire throttle range is pretty sweet so I'm reluctant to tinker to get the coveted middle clip. ARH can probably chime in as to why I should work towards the middle clip, but for now I'm just enjoying the ride.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:18 PM   #53

Mine wouldn't start without choke until I adjusted the valves, they were so tight I'm not sure they were even seating properly. After I sorted out the proper valve clearances, I had no trouble starting with no choke on a summer day.

I do need to get a new carb and exhaust, I can't run WOT, it bogs the last little bit. I probably have 80% useable throttle.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:58 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
I'm sure everones Hawk responds a little different but my hawk out of the crate would have to keep the carb on full choke for 15-20 minutes until it was good and hot then I could move it to half choke then 5 minutes later move it to no choke. It wouldn't let me WOT until it was hot. I picked up a VM26 carb off ebay for $39 and a needle kit too. Mine likes the 110 main. I never got around to doing the pilot so my needle clip is at the bottom ( most rich ) setting. If I adjust the pilot I think I will be able to get that clip in the middle. I will fiddle with it later , but now it runs great. starts right up, idles nicely and WOT is fun. The entire throttle range is pretty sweet so I'm reluctant to tinker to get the coveted middle clip. ARH can probably chime in as to why I should work towards the middle clip, but for now I'm just enjoying the ride.
The pilot jet controls fuel mixture fully to 1/4 open, then it plays a diminishing role as the throttle is opened further. Riding in the eastern United States, good response at small throttle openings is vital to satisfaction for most riders. Luckily, no one has had to change the slide for a different slide cut-away. Just the pilot and main jets. In the west, more wide open riding, on a 250. You have set the valve clearances?

Old 09-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #55

Agreed ARH. Totally different bike when the valves are properly adjusted. My Hawk prior to adjusting the valves was very difficult to start. Also it would not wind out very freely. If you can make only one adjustment to the hawk, it would have to be the valves. It is more important than CARB, Exhaust, CDI Spark plug and gears.

There should be a sticky here saying if you buy one before you start it, change the oil and adjust the valves. everything else is just nice to haves.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:40 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
There should be a sticky here saying if you buy one before you start it, change the oil and adjust the valves. everything else is just nice to haves.
Absolutely. Might even add change the oil twice, my second change still had a large amount of that sewing machine oil left in it.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:16 AM   #57

Haven't forgotten about this place. School's keeping me busy. Still trying to find time in my schedule and the seller's to go look at another Hawk.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:05 AM   #58

Quote:
Mine wouldn't start without choke until I adjusted the valves, they were so tight I'm not sure they were even seating properly. After I sorted out the proper valve clearances, I had no trouble starting with no choke on a summer day.

I do need to get a new carb and exhaust, I can't run WOT, it bogs the last little bit. I probably have 80% useable throttle.
Yes, you are going to have to change the jetting in order to solve that problem. Finding the right jets for the stock Keihan carburetor is difficult. The main advantage to the Mikuni carb is the ready assortment of jets. When you reach 75% throttle up to wide open, mixture is about 95% controlled by the main jet. So, I would say your problem is too lean (too small) a main jet.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:11 AM   #59

Sup Scott? Didn't realize you made your way over here as well! Wasn't sure if it was you till i seen pics of your 400.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 10-12-2016, 04:06 PM   #60

Yep, its me haha. I'm all over the place

Going to look at a couple on saturday. I do have another question though. If I were to buy a bike that is already tagged, and when transferring the title to my name I decide to unregister it (is that the term?), what would I need in order to register it later on down the road?