Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2010, 12:13 AM   #46

It looks great Doc! Would you like to do a front disc brake upgrade? I have some parts...

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-31-2010, 09:24 PM   #47

The Rat is running great. I trail rode 40 miles this weekend without a hitch.

The seat cover I bought is wrong, will try to send it back.

The chain and rear sprocket are shot. Since I'm leaning towards keeping it, I will order new ones. A Tsubaki and a JT, respectively. The front sprocket is new.

Does anyone know if these Honda mufflers need to be repacked? It sounds kinda meaty.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:17 PM   #48

ahh doc just swap that can out for a new fmf one, or hmf, dg, yoshi.. add some power, a nicer sound, and hotter looks

Old 10-31-2010, 10:42 PM   #49

Holy Cow! I must have accidentally unsubscribed from this thread! 8O I'm glad I discovered the problem, and got back here!

The "Dirt Rat" looks great, Doc! You did a superb job.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-31-2010, 11:13 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Holy Cow! I must have accidentally unsubscribed from this thread! 8O I'm glad I discovered the problem, and got back here!

Spud
Spud, I was WONDERING where you were! My feelings were getting hurt you'd hardly noticed The Rat!

Old 10-31-2010, 11:23 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider

Spud
Spud, I was WONDERING where you were! My feelings were getting hurt you'd hardly noticed The Rat!
I'm sorry, Doc! :( I don't know how I got unsubscribed from this thread! :? In the past I have clicked the wrong "button" by mistake, and been unsubscribed from threads; I guess the same thing happened to me this time. :roll: Anyway, I am very glad to be back! Congratulations! The "Dirt Rat" looks great! You have broken new ground with this project, Brother Bill!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-31-2010, 11:35 PM   #52

Swapping on a different pipe is a challenge, since there isn't much aftermarket support for this model year. I don't think that the stock mufflers require packing, but maybe the baffle has been removed.

If you seriously want to swap the muffler for another product, let me know. I worked out a solution for Son of Weldangrind's '83, because the stock muffler was rotten.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-01-2010, 12:10 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Swapping on a different pipe is a challenge, since there isn't much aftermarket support for this model year. I don't think that the stock mufflers require packing, but maybe the baffle has been removed.

If you seriously want to swap the muffler for another product, let me know. I worked out a solution for Son of Weldangrind's '83, because the stock muffler was rotten.
The pipe is probably fine and normal, I'm just used to Q. Q is very quiet.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:41 AM   #54

im sure the header is good, i was merely talking about the silencer.. a nice fmf, dg or hmf silencer with a quit core inscert would look great..

if doc really really wanted a head pipe, just take it to any muffler shop who does customs exhaust for cars.. they have stainless steel pipe and the means to weld it..

Old 11-01-2010, 08:52 AM   #55

I plan to stick with the stock unit on mine. Our trails are within city limits and close to houses. I don't need to make any more noise than necessary and power is not really that important to me. Most likely won't get past 2nd or 3rd gear.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I plan to stick with the stock unit on mine. Our trails are within city limits and close to houses. I don't need to make any more noise than necessary and power is not really that important to me. Most likely won't get past 2nd or 3rd gear.
I have a 13 tooth front/50 tooth rear sprocket. I think that's stock. With the Lifan engine she'll wind out at about 60. I've not tried since I'm still in the break in period.

It's geared low, appropiate for a dirt only machine. I bet even at 20 on the trails you'll be in 4th or 5th. Should be quiet enough.

I will check my baffle, and spark arrestor.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #57

Maybe need a 14T sprocket then. I don't need to go too fast. The trails are short and twisty. Maybe a 4 acre area that we do laps on. The 90cc stays in 2-3rd most of the time.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #58

A 14 tooth will give you more top end and less low end grunt. We've dropped to a 12 tooth on Son of Weldangrind's XR200R. We want a wheelie machine.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #59

For where I am the 13 is just right.

I climbed a stupid steep long hill yesterday that gives Q fits. The Dirt Rat calmly chugged up it. Mostly in second, with a downshift to first at the top.

If the motor was broken in, and I was allowed full throttle, it wowuld have done it in second no problem.

A better rider wouldd have done it in third! :oops:

Since this bike will never see the street, a 50ish MPH top speed is more than enough.

If it was an XL, I bet it could be geared for a comfortable 65.

As always, it's too bad the China motors are not 6 speeds. That would solve this gearing issue.

Or a high low transfer case.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #60

Here's the hill. It's much bigger in person.