Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2023, 03:58 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
I am hella outta riding shape...generally just old and fat. I can do something about the fat. Rode every day since I've owned it...farmer tan hard, arms are red. I will at least use a helmet, but right now I'm just breaking it in and so far the fastest I got it going was ~40mph, and only for a couple seconds. Cruising mostly in 5th at 30-35mph.

I am already enjoying it more than you know. You see, I don't like the world. Since the pandemic, I have been self-quarantined. I go out into the world about once a month when my wife and I make a trip to Colorado. I will occasionally go into town for grocery shopping and such, but mostly been house bound for a couple years now. The hermit life suits me.

I grew up in the SF Bay Area in California, surrounded by 7 million people. There's this dome of "psychological static" that covers the place and, living under it, it is inescapable. I can not describe how difficult it was to break free of it when I finally decided to leave that Godforsaken place. Of that 7 million, less than a handful even noticed I was gone...or cared.

If this country falls, it will be due to Godlessness. The battle before us is spiritual more than physical. Get right with God or get right with Satan. Atheism is burying your head in the sand and pretending you don't have to choose.
The last paragraph was quoted and taken out of context. I just wanted to point out that I said nothing about religion or faith. I mentioned God, Satan and Atheism. Having run my life, at different times, with all three mind/spirit-sets, I was trying to share some wisdom. And I was inspired by riding my Hawk. That is the key.

Someone on this forum MUST know what I am talking about. The spiritual adrenaline shot you get on your first ride in over 10 years, the absolute gratitude filling your heart as you twist that throttle and up-shift, surrounded by God's beauty everywhere you look...it's almost too much and your heart feels like it might implode...and a certain feeling of unworthiness. Like, what did I do to deserve this? And an overwhelming feeling that I need to thank someone, and it's definitely not myself.

This was bugging me and now I feel better. I will never bring up God, Jesus or spirituality on this forum again. Thank you for reading. Hope you got something out of it.

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 07-27-2023, 06:10 PM   #47

Speaking of "the key", I just found it in my Hawk, in the "On" position, neutral light still glowing green. Not enough juice to turn it over. Battery pulled and charging. I strive for wisdom and still end up with idiocy. lol

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 07-27-2023, 09:22 PM   #48

Just got back from an evening ride. Felt like a thunder storm was coming in, so I didn't dilly dally.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawk07.27.2023.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	29781  

Old 07-28-2023, 02:10 PM   #49

That looks to me like a dang nice place to ride. Regardless of any spiritual differences, I can respect a cruise through gorgeous green fields on a bold blue Hawk.

If you are ever adventuring through our shadeless sea of brown things, and you need a garage to work, pool to chill in, or Mojave desert riding buddy, you know where to find this godless heathen.

Old 07-28-2023, 03:56 PM   #50

Shoot, there's only green stuff next to rivers out here. 5 miles in any direction away from the river and you're in sage brush as far as the eye can see. The crazy thing is this is literally across the highway from me. I knew it was there, but never got to enjoy it until I got my Hawk.

I have visited Nevada a couple times in my travels. I believe someone somewhere warned against building on sand...

I'm a Rocky Mountain Man through and through til the day I die.

Old 07-28-2023, 10:33 PM   #51

My chain tightened up on me again. This time, I used a ratchet strap to keep the rear wheel pinned against the chain tensioner thingies. Was able to dial it in perfectly and the chain tension stayed where I set it. My X-PRO owner's manual calls for 65 foot pounds of torque on the rear axle.

Old 07-28-2023, 10:52 PM   #52

Quote:
My X-PRO owner's manual calls for 65 foot pounds of torque on the rear axle.
Don't do it. That will crush in the swing arm. I used the CSC TT250 spec for the rear axle for the entire time I had the original swing arm, which is 35ft-lbs. I never had an issue with it slipping or coming out of adjustment.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 07-29-2023, 09:23 AM   #53

FWIW, here's what I do for my KPX. Agree that 65 ft-lbs does seem pretty high.

TORQUE SPECS: This is an educated guess based on similar bikes, XL250 and XL350. I also use blue Loctite.
Front axle: 40 - 47 ft-lbs
Rear axle: 43 - 58 ft-lbs
Rear sprocket nuts: 13 - 17 ft-lbs

My general rule of thumb for tightening stuff without a torque wrench: finger tight; then just snug while choking up on the ratchet/wrench handle; then 1/8th turn more.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 07-29-2023, 03:59 PM   #54

You could probably go up to 40 to 45ft-lbs on the rear axle without issue. I just wouldn't go beyond that. Rear sprocket nuts on the Hawk only need around 25 to 30ft-lbs with a dab of loctite.

Old 07-29-2023, 04:53 PM   #55

Are you sure the axle is actually sliding backwards on you. The first stage of your rear spring ( if like what was on my Hawk's rear shock) is so soft that just a slight difference in the way the bike is leaning on it's stand will cause differences in chain slack. If you axle is actually moving back, I would say that it's happening during braking, but if it's actually moving back on you, then the plates that cover the open ends of your swing arm will be loose, and you could possibly loose one, because the adjustment nuts would just be loose on the threads. If this is not happening, then I don't see how you axle is shifting, unless you're actually pulling it back a hair when you tighten the nuts on the adjusters. Actually mark, or take a picture of your hash marks on each side. You may have an unevenly stretched chain. You may push the bike forward a little, and go from a tight chain, to a loose Chain.

Last edited by Bill Hilly; 07-29-2023 at 05:33 PM.

Old 07-29-2023, 05:28 PM   #56

The stock chain is also notoriously made out of hardened cheddar.

Old 07-29-2023, 05:32 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
The stock chain is also notoriously made out of hardened cheddar.
I ate my stock chain on Ritz crackers.

Old 07-29-2023, 09:04 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
Are you sure the axle is actually sliding backwards on you. The first stage of your rear spring ( if like what was on my Hawk's rear shock) is so soft that just a slight difference in the way the bike is leaning on it's stand will cause differences in chain slack. If you axle is actually moving back, I would say that it's happening during braking, but if it's actually moving back on you, then the plates that cover the open ends of your swing arm will be loose, and you could possibly loose one, because the adjustment nuts would just be loose on the threads. If this is not happening, then I don't see how you axle is shifting, unless you're actually pulling it back a hair when you tighten the nuts on the adjusters. Actually mark, or take a picture of your hash marks on each side. You may have an unevenly stretched chain. You may push the bike forward a little, and go from a tight chain, to a loose Chain.
I am not sure what the hell is happening at this point. It'll be loose, I ride it, it's tight. I adjust, it seems fine, go for a ride and it tightens. I don't think the axle is sliding because the adjuster thingies stay snug. I have hash marks on the right swingarm but not the left, which seems odd to me. Interesting note on the first stage of rear spring. I will have to get a bike stand because trying to get my Hawk on the bike stand I built is not as easy as dude made it look. lol I suppose I should stand it up and lean it against a wall at near vertical to check? I'm also open to a new/better chain, but don't want to change the sprockets. I will have a look at Megadan's resource guide...again....

Ok, just got back and I would like to stick with the 428 chain but there were no recommendations. Can someone recommend a good 428 chain? Thanks, guys!

Also, I just hit 300 miles and did my 2nd oil change. It looked good, a good amount of clutch material and maybe one or two tiny chunks, non metallic. I dumped it hot, without gloves, and scorched my fingers. lol Lesson learned.

Last edited by bigdano711; 07-29-2023 at 09:20 PM. Reason: 428 chain and 300 miles

Old 07-29-2023, 09:41 PM   #59

Quote:
I am not sure what the hell is happening at this point. It'll be loose, I ride it, it's tight. I adjust, it seems fine, go for a ride and it tightens. I don't think the axle is sliding because the adjuster thingies stay snug. I have hash marks on the right swingarm but not the left, which seems odd to me. Interesting note on the first stage of rear spring. I will have to get a bike stand because trying to get my Hawk on the bike stand I built is not as easy as dude made it look. lol I suppose I should stand it up and lean it against a wall at near vertical to check? I'm also open to a new/better chain, but don't want to change the sprockets. I will have a look at Megadan's resource guide...again....

Ok, just got back and I would like to stick with the 428 chain but there were no recommendations. Can someone recommend a good 428 chain? Thanks, guys!

Also, I just hit 300 miles and did my 2nd oil change. It looked good, a good amount of clutch material and maybe one or two tiny chunks, non metallic. I dumped it hot, without gloves, and scorched my fingers. lol Lesson learned.
You should have hash marks on both sides. They may be filled with paint. One did of mine is harder to see because of that. Them outermost plates are both on with the lip facing down, and in???. I really don't know why they have the faint lip, but I think it may be to kinda hook around the bottom of the swing arm tubing, and support the weight of the bike at the axle bolt, so the swingarm slot doesn't have to, but I don't know.. While not a Japanese chain, the Niche XRing Gold is a good economical option for a low maintenance strong chain. I had one in my Brozz, and currently on my Hawk and TBR7. Some claim the JT non sealed chains are decent, but I don't like them.

Last edited by Bill Hilly; 07-30-2023 at 09:23 AM.

Old 07-29-2023, 10:03 PM   #60

If you want just a standard chain 130 link DID, RK, or EK chain will work and be reliable

The Niche chains are praised by many. I stick to the big names personally, but for a few more bucks over the chains mentioned above, they have an X ring chain (less friction and better sealing than an O ring)
https://www.amazon.com/NICHE-X-Ring-.../dp/B07XWPGY1M