Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2015, 12:58 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranbo View Post
Hey Thinker! I once had shifting problems and it turned out all I needed to do was tighten the bolt on the gear shifter. When I moved the shifter by hand it was pretty loose. I know this is a long shot but just had to throw this out there because your bike does not have that many miles on it.
That kind of tip is very valuable. It may not solve Thinker's issue, but perhaps it will help another member. Thanks!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-17-2015, 01:32 AM   #47

Have had the loose bolt on shifter many times in the over 50 years of riding. The first few times it really threw me for a loop. The greeves I had in the late 60's used to loosen up a lot. 250cc villiers engine.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:02 AM   #48

Quote:
Hey Thinker! I once had shifting problems and it turned out all I needed to do was tighten the bolt on the gear shifter. When I moved the shifter by hand it was pretty loose. I know this is a long shot but just had to throw this out there because your bike does not have that many miles on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
That kind of tip is very valuable. It may not solve Thinker's issue, but perhaps it will help another member. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jct842 View Post
Have had the loose bolt on shifter many times in the over 50 years of riding. The first few times it really threw me for a loop. The greeves I had in the late 60's used to loosen up a lot. 250cc villiers engine.
Indeed, this is an excellent tip. To prevent this problem I get a slightly longer bolt from the hardware store which extends beyond the shift lever. I then install a nut on the end of the bolt to lock it tight.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-17-2015, 02:46 AM   #49

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jct842 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Indeed, this is an excellent tip. To prevent this problem I get a slightly longer bolt from the hardware store which extends beyond the shift lever. I then install a nut on the end of the bolt to lock it tight.
I completely agree, this is a very helpful tip that I can see helping many future riders who cant figure out whats going on with their transmission. Sadly, this is not the issue with my bike since I just did a once over of my bike last week tightening everything up (plus I just ran out to check it ).

One thing I did notice was when my bike is off, the shifting action is very smooth like you would expect it to be. It is only when its running that it becomes clunky and choppy. Does this mean anything?

Old 04-17-2015, 03:56 AM   #50

Ha! I was clonking my old air cooled engine through its gears the other day by operating the shifter by hand, it's coupled through a transverse shaft on the end of a UJ and bell crank and ends up on the other side of the bike. I was suddenly alarmed to notice that my new fandagled mechanism has a whole bunch of play in it. After a frantic search around the chassis was eventually relieved to find that I hadn't done 'that' bolt up last time I popped it on for trial fit!

Last edited by Jibberwobble; 04-17-2015 at 03:58 AM. Reason: typo

Old 04-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #51

Hmm... now you really have my brain spinning T. Thinker. I can tell that you are really mechanically inclined. Runs fine in neutral and with clutch fully engaged with no creep forward. Shifts smooth with engine off. You have done and check everything that I would have without tearing into the thing. I have no doubt you will figure out what the problem is. Keep us posted!

Old 04-17-2015, 04:09 PM   #52

I will definitely keep you guys posted. I plan on tearing into the transmission this weekend and will no doubt find the problem. I will be sure to take lots pics along to way!

Old 04-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Thanks for this SpudRider. I will see if I can get this done today.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:14 PM   #54

Ok, so today I went out to the garage, got all my tools ready, and began to remove the clutch cover to get into the engine. I saw that I had to remove the giant hex key bolt that holds on the foot stand to allow room for the wrenches and the clutch cover to slide off the kick start. So I go and find the perfect fitting hex key, put it in, and guess what? The bolt head completely strips out. I have absolutely no way to get into the clutch and am guessing im going to need to pay some money to have this taken care of (even though I bought an XF200 for the low cost). I'm kinda ranting, but also hope you guys have some advice here.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #55

Please show us a pic.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-22-2015, 09:08 PM   #56

Pics show how far open it can go before being stopped by the footpeg.

I'm really hoping I don't need to spend big money on this bike.

Last edited by The Thinker; 04-22-2015 at 10:15 PM.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:06 PM   #57

Normally I would just cut a notch in the screw and put a flathead against one side and use a hammer to rotate it in increments till it comes out, however this screw was so tight that it stripped out (the hex key was a tight fit). If it is my only option, I might just do that anyway and replace the bolt if I can get it out.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:09 PM   #58

You can try notching it but I think you are going to have to drill it out.

If you do notch it try to get an impact driver to bust it loose.

/

Old 04-22-2015, 11:17 PM   #59

I did not think of that, I just bought an impact driver from harbor freight a couple months ago and think that might do the trick. What would the proper way be to drill it out if push comes to shove? If I do drill it out, would it be worth it to buy a left hand drill bit set just in case it comes loose so it would come out with the drill bit?

Old 04-23-2015, 01:52 AM   #60

I'd just drill the head off, remove that bracket and then clamp vise grips on the remaining stud.

Tags
qlink