Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2015, 12:28 PM   #46

I have recently purchased my first Haosen 250 Hawk, from APSC. Overall, the bike seems impressive. The manufacturer quotes the top speed at >90km/hr, I could barely get 42mph; what's worse is APSC is advertising these bikes as capable of getting a 300lb person up to 75mph! This is not a dual sport, it is a dirt bike. Keep that in mind if you're considering a purchase.

Also, since you will be riding at full throttle - if you think you can ride this bike on the road- you will get an obscene amount of oil in the intake via crankcase breather. I'm still not certain if that is a result of too much oil, too much blow-by, and/or too much throttle.
Much appreciated if anyone can lend advice. Also, has anyone taken these bikes above 50mph?

Old 10-11-2015, 12:58 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkal View Post
I have recently purchased my first Haosen 250 Hawk, from APSC. Overall, the bike seems impressive. The manufacturer quotes the top speed at >90km/hr, I could barely get 42mph; what's worse is APSC is advertising these bikes as capable of getting a 300lb person up to 75mph! This is not a dual sport, it is a dirt bike. Keep that in mind if you're considering a purchase.

Also, since you will be riding at full throttle - if you think you can ride this bike on the road- you will get an obscene amount of oil in the intake via crankcase breather. I'm still not certain if that is a result of too much oil, too much blow-by, and/or too much throttle.
Much appreciated if anyone can lend advice. Also, has anyone taken these bikes above 50mph?
I noticed this myself. I only ride on road at higher speeds. And I get a lot of oil in the intake. I've considered just putting on an external breather as there may be too much vacuum created by the intake.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:10 PM   #48

Many owners are: 1.Gearing them higher. One can go to a 17 tooth front, from the 15 I believe I heard it comes with. I think that can be done using the stock chain as is. Then, if that isn't high enough, go to a smaller rear sprocket. That may require shortening the chain a few links.
2. Either rejetting that stock carb, which has non-removable screws in the float bowl. These screws have to come off for rejetting, so one can drill them out, maybe using a left handed drill bit. Or maybe cut a slot in te head of the screw and use a flat blade screw driver. Buy 4 new screws, rejet and test it. Or, some are buying a new Kikuni carb clone from ebay for about $40. Jets for that one will be easier to find, than for the Kehein clone that comes on the Hawk. You could do a search for these items.

But, yeah, seems like, from what I've read, that about all the Chinese bikes come geared too low. I think the Bashan 250 (really a 229cc?) comes with pretty good gearing. Your low top speed could be from both the low gearing, and a carb jetted too lean. If I buy a Hawk, I think I'll try rejetting, assuming it runs too lean.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:02 PM   #49

I get 55 out of mine on the road and no oil in the intake. Running 15W40 in the middle of the sight glass. Off road it is geared to high for the mountains i live in. Wish it had another gear......

Old 10-11-2015, 10:03 PM   #50

I got mine up to 62 today after I installed new rear 45 t sprocket. I ran out of road where I was testing it out. That's stock carb too.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:25 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymalmat View Post
I got mine up to 62 today after I installed new rear 45 t sprocket. I ran out of road where I was testing it out. That's stock carb too.

Did you have to rejet yours? Does it still have the stock front sprocket?

Old 10-11-2015, 11:20 PM   #52

I just had street tires put on the hawk and they really do make a world of difference when riding on paved roads. I was able to get her up into the 60s with stock sprockets and carb without a problem but quickly had to slow down due to traffic. I also put on a pair of ProTaper pillow top lite mx grips with anti-vibration for $13. They get the job done very well. I highly recommend them to everyone complaining about handlebar vibration. I was also experiencing crazy handlebar vibration at higher speeds and these grips almost eliminated it completely. I also threw on some trackside hand protectors. Expect some pics as soon as I get the new plastics later this week.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:05 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjn View Post
Did you have to rejet yours? Does it still have the stock front sprocket?
Stock carb without rejetting. I have the mikuni but removed it bc it needs to be rejetted. I think. I am unsure of where to start with jet sizes. Any help? I am in Texas with an elevation of 550 ft. Front sprocket was changed to 17t.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:08 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicario View Post
I just had street tires put on the hawk and they really do make a world of difference when riding on paved roads. I was able to get her up into the 60s with stock sprockets and carb without a problem but quickly had to slow down due to traffic. I also put on a pair of ProTaper pillow top lite mx grips with anti-vibration for $13. They get the job done very well. I highly recommend them to everyone complaining about handlebar vibration. I was also experiencing crazy handlebar vibration at higher speeds and these grips almost eliminated it completely. I also threw on some trackside hand protectors. Expect some pics as soon as I get the new plastics later this week.
What tires did you put on? I'm looking to replace the super knobbies myself bc I ride mostly street. Was thinking about ordering the Kenda K761.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:28 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymalmat View Post
What tires did you put on? I'm looking to replace the super knobbies myself bc I ride mostly street. Was thinking about ordering the Kenda K761.
I just threw on a cheap set of Duro tires for now. Nothing special. Just wanted to get a feel for the bike with street purpose tires. I'm gonna get more serious tires in the near future but for now these will do.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:47 AM   #56

Quote:
ASPCUSA: "We have this model in Red, Green and Blue colors."

Last edited by Adam Rinkleff; 12-09-2015 at 02:25 PM.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:51 AM   #57

Quote:
I've heard the Hawks come with floatbowls that have screws not made to be removed. Why would they do that?
Got an answer from one of the engineers, the reason for this is the EPA, they didn't want you guys trying to modify the bike.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:56 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkal View Post
APSC is advertising these bikes as capable of getting a 300lb person up to 75mph!
That's definitely not accurate, the data sheet I have here says 59 is top speed. I have another one that states 75, but I think that's an engine test figure for a bike with no weight on it.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #59

Adam is there anyway to get the HAWK with street tires instead of the nobbies? Sounds like you have more inventory. One of the China offerings used to come with street or nobby option.

/

Old 10-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #60

What happens when you get some junk in the float bowl and have to clean it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Rinkleff View Post
Got an answer from one of the engineers, the reason for this is the EPA, they didn't want you guys trying to modify the bike.