Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2010, 12:14 AM   #46

id try real hard to keep the kick starter, just incase the battery goes while you are away from the house..

if anything you make one that is attached to the bike some where out of sight, only to be pulled out in the event the battery happens to die while you are away from the house.. kick start it and then put the kick start lever back in its hiding spot and head on down the road

Old 10-27-2010, 02:04 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
It runs.

I can hardly believe it but it runs.
Yaaaay!!!

Congrats! Can't wait for photos. Video would be nice too.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-27-2010, 08:02 AM   #48

Grats on the internal combustion! Cant wait to see some pics of it

Old 10-27-2010, 08:52 AM   #49

I am curious to know about the kickstarter. The may prove to be a problem on mine then too. I was considering just using the kick start.

For the solenoid. Likely that the new is bad out of the box. Give the flooded one a try. Otherwise lawn and garden ones work well and can be found at home depot and walmart I believe for cheap.

I probably have 3-4 of them if you would like me to mail some.

Allen

Old 10-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #50

The old Honda kickstarter will work, but the ball spring indent is sloppy. The new Lifan one does not clear the brake pedal, but I can make a small bend in the pedal arm and it will work. either way I'll go with one or the other.

I will try the drowned solenoid, if it does not work I have to go to Home Despot anyway to get an oil and air filter for the lawnmower before I put it up for the season anyways.

I need to cut the steel for the battery box and have my friend weld it. I intend to use the steel from the shipping carton that my friend's Q came in. Chinasteel for a Chinapowered Honda.

Seems just.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:59 AM   #51

Quote:
Seems just.
Poetic even.

Quote:
Home Despot.
That cracked me up!

I've taken Honda kickers apart before to tune out the sloppiness. Just carefully file away any burrs around the ball socket, lightly stamp the ball into the socket and stretch the spring. Pack the whole deal with wheel bearing grease and it should be much better.

On occasion, I have had to weld a tiny bead on the shoulder that the kicker stops against, so that the kicker is perpendicular to the engine when in the starting position.

Please post a pic and show us how the kickers don't work with the XR frame. I thought that the China motor would be identical to the XR motor on the right side.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #52

Good idea.

My friend had to weld a bead to make it perpindicular on his 1969 BSA. He knows how to do it. I may bring him my XR kickstarter to fix also.

Will take some pics, I may even have already but not downloaded them.

I wish I knew how to weld and was not so dependant on others, but heck, I can do all sorts of other things. Can't do it all! :roll:

The motor is not the same dimentionally.

It fits, but there is NO WAY to get the countershaft sprocket cover on. The motor is much wider in that area than the original. I see an angle grinder in it's future... 8O

The new carb holder is at the wrong angle to work with the rear shock so I had to reuse the old one.

The right side may be semi-identical, it's the kickstarter itsel that is a little different.

Also the Lifan is a 5 speed, the Honda is a 6 speed. Big difference there.

BUT I got the BRAND NEW Chinamotor for $357! :P

I'm a happy miser!

Old 10-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #53

MIG welding is certainly within your scope. Like I always say, if you can fog a mirror, you can MIG weld.

If I was in the market for a new 110 volt MIG today, I'd buy this one: http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-1...5a-output.html

Old 10-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #54

Quote:
...Also the Lifan is a 5 speed, the Honda is a 6 speed. Big difference there.

BUT I got the BRAND NEW Chinamotor for $357! :P

I'm a happy miser!
Spoken like a true China Rider!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #55

It's time for a minor, temporary, dare I say righteous threadjack! Today Brother Bill, a.k.a. FastDoc, achieved sixth place on the total posts list at China Riders! Doc, I think it's fair to say you have found a home here! We certainly love having you here, and would miss you dearly if you ever departed!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
It's time for a minor, temporary, dare I say righteous threadjack! Today Brother Bill, a.k.a. FastDoc, achieved sixth place on the total posts list at China Riders! Doc, I think it's fair to say you have found a home here! We certainly love having you here, and would miss you dearly if you ever departed!

Spud
Thank you brother Spud.

I really DO feel at home here, and I enjoy learning from, and sharing my knowledge with you all.

Indeed when I'm out on a ride or working on something, I'm thinking about you guys.

Indeed you have seen me through a lot, including my crash of almost exactly one year ago.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #57

Quote:

Spud
We keep post count standings?? 8O

Who knew. Mizke will pass us all by month's end.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #58

nah i wont pass you guys for awhile, since my quad is running so good i dont have to post about problems.

and i dont see myself making to many new posts in the near future unless i get a wild hair to do something to my quad, then have the ever so sobering moment of saying to myself " oh crap i screwed up the quad, time to post"

i mainly lurk now and add my 2 cents here and there..plus with the new job i dont have the same kind of down time i did with my last job.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:

Spud
We keep post count standings?? 8O

Who knew. Mizke will pass us all by month's end.
Indeed, we do keep count, Turbo. I was just getting ready to congratulate you on passing the exclusive, 2,000 post mark! You are now one of the top ten posters at China Riders! Needless to say, we love having you here as well, Turbo! Thank you for all your helpful, interesting posts.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #60

Bill's drowned solenoid works fine, the new one's defective, go figure.

Bike seems to run well. Have not been able to ride it yet due to no battery (I'm using a big battery on a chair next to the bike hooked up on cables now) or air filter. Hopefully tomorrow will get 'correct' battey duct taped in temporarily and sock fitted and take it for a ride.

The countershaft sprocket cover won't fit with any amount of cutting, and the Honda part is quite different and won't fit the new motor. So, no countershaft sproket cover. Seems like it will be OK.