Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #46

I cant hardly believe it.....we got both sheds moved out of my way at the new house.

We started with the 8x8 shed and 3 pieces of 3"x10' PVC and a floor jack and assorted blocks of wood, a prybar and of course 60' foot or so of chain.

My little craftsman tractor got a workout.

The 8'x16' shed was a bit more of a fighter and just after the first good tug on it the raccoon living under it bolted.
(I was glad there were no babies under there)

The neighbors around there appear to be happy we are moving in as the house has been vacant for a while.

I got stung :roll: by a bee while mowing the 3' tall grass where a tree had fallen.

I retaliated with a can and a half of bee spray then mowed their honeycomb hideout down.

EDIT: picture of the floors inside.
This was what we found after tearing up the nasty/stinky carpeting.
My wife has since de-stapled the floors and swept them but we have no water service yet.

We plan on area rugs or nothing on the floors as we have begun to hate carpeting and all that comes with it.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:21 PM   #47

Here is a picture of the raw garage floor (the lab floor I call it "THE LAB" )

Here is the pictures after the TAN paint.

This is just the first stage of the garage but I wanted to get it done before we moved all my JUNK into the garage.

In the future there will be insulation in the walls/ceiling and most likely white masonite type panelling as well as lots of custom made counters and cubboards/shelves.

The holes in the floor are from the previous owner who used the garage to do body work and the holes are anchor points to pull things into alignment from what I was told.

We still dont have electric at the house but will by the middle of august (new service and breaker panel needed).

Yep so while everyone else is out having summer fun we spend countless hours at the new/old house doing any and everything we can to make it a home.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:35 PM   #48

Hey mate,

Score on the useable floor underneath the carpet. That's great!

..and love the yard.

Used to have a bondo bob shop besides us at the old engine shop (now retired) and they had hooks and chains in the floor as well. Frame straightening I believe they told me.

Enjoy making the house a home, you'll remember it forever and sit in there when you're 80 smiling that you made it yours.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:05 PM   #49

We spent today raking/leveling the dirt in the crawl space and rolling out some plastic after getting some junk out of there so we can do some work.

We also started messing around with the floor joists and I'll probably take a day off this week to spend over there sistering up floor joists (only 22).

After I get the floor joists sistered up I'll redo the center pads and try leveling the center beam a bit.

After all that I'll have lots of drywall to do :roll:

Old 07-29-2009, 09:43 PM   #50

WHEW....................I hate crawl spaces :!:

We spent the day under the house and got most of the joists in that we could until we hit the plumbing mess which I now have a way around so it will be just another 3-6 hours and that will be done but there is still lots to do under there.

Cracked a bit of drywall but thats easy to fix and I'll be making some holes in it anyway.

Thankfully the weather here has been about perfect.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:36 AM   #51

After two full months we are still just working on that house and probably atleast a month away from being able to move in.

We had to gut the bathroom and do some major work to the floor and walls and git rid of the old ABS drain pipes.

I feel that we are now on the downside overall as we are putting it back together.We have electric service now with a new meter and breaker panel and the floor leveling (drywall cracking- ) is going well.

We have new cabinets for the kitchen and new toilet, tub W/surround, 60"vanity W/ dual sinks and a 48" medicine cabinet ready to go in asap.

The utility room is close to being ready for paint and the concrete floor in there is looking good after the extensive prep it took to get it ready to paint.
(NO she didnt want tile in there again she wanted it painted- :roll: )

Sadly we havnt rode our bikes for two months even though we have had excellent weather overall here we are either to tired or to busy to bother with them.

This concludes another boring house (money pit)update.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #52

I wish my lab was that big. Fortunately I can work year round on projects outside.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #53

Those floors will look great with a sanding and resurface......You'll have a place to put You feet up when You're older and that's a great thing.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:49 AM   #54

One of the great things about your lab is that there's no post in the middle; that's my only complaint at my place.

Is that a furnace in there?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-03-2009, 05:46 AM   #55

I also like that it has no post in the middle but it could probably use a few more boards going across but where can I get some 22-24' long boards now :?:
(manufactured wood I-beam maybe :?: )
The PO probably took the center posts out and I wont rally know it until it collapses under the weight of the snow this winter.
I plan to put my air compressor and extra air tank up in the rafters near the back and plumb the garage for air.HF has a garage air hose kit that I may use.

That is a furnace in the LAB but I havnt tried to fired it up yet mainly because we havnt had the gas turned on yet.
I doubt I'd use it much until I get insulation/walls/ceiling put back up in there.

There is a floor drain of sorts in the middle also but I have no idea of where it leads or if it even works.I have ran some water down it but it needs a good cleaning.

The bathroom and the plumbing are my major concerns right now.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #56

I think I know what you mean by "a few more boards going across". If there was a post (or posts) in there before, you'll need to make up for them. One way is to buy a beam that suits your length in about 6"x 6" finished. You have the ability to buld appropriate support for the beam, since your walls are still open.

Without seeing the ceiling, I can't determine where the beam would need to be, but I would guess the center of the structure (widthwise, that is, perpedicular to the direction you'd park a car). This depends on whether the garage is free-standing or is attached to the house.

For support, you could create a beam support out of four 2 x 4 studs nailed together in the perimeter wall. That way, when you're ready to board the lab, the support posts will be totally invisible.

Keep your eyes open at demolition sites or used building supply stores for a beam.

Cheers!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #57

A beam would have to run front to back running parrallel to the cars when parked in there, I'm not going to worry to much about it right now I'll just keep an eye on it.

I will look for evidence of a support beam or pots but I dont think there was any but it looks a bit sparse up there for support.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #58

OK well.......we are at the new/old house and back on the net.

We have so much JUNK..........I never thought we had this much junk but then 20 years of collecting at one house and to then go and fluff it all up in a move is just crazy.

Oh well we'll get it all put away sooner or later I do see a landfill trash run coming up soon .

Old 10-30-2009, 11:17 PM   #59

It's not junk, It just a person treasure who has not picked it up yet.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:11 AM   #60

I'm sure some of this JUNK is anothers treasure but then again some of it is just..........junk .
I see tons of stuff that will either be sold (Ebay,craigslist,garage sale,net forums) or just given away on craigslist.
Hopefully just one more landfill trash run to end out this year.

We did ride the bikes over to the new house rather than trailer them here but havnt had any time to ride them at all this summer :( .
Both bikes started OK for sitting so long and the battteries were still charged well after just sitting in the bikes for months.
(we've had bad battery issues)

I've seen things that I havnt seen in over ten years .
I've seen things that I dont even know what they are or how we got them .

We have one more load to get from the old house and it is a relatively small load then I'm going to winterize the house and call for utilities to be cut on monday.
That 6x14 enclosed trailer has been an absolute blessing to us on this move and we can really back alot of stuff in it.