Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2017, 11:26 PM   #511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Sounds like the main jet is too lean (the hole isn't big enough). Luckily for you, a Mikuni main jet will screw in even though the thread pitch is different. If it has the original exhaust system a 110 or 115 main jet should do the trick...ARH
Unless the choke is in the wrong position. After warm up, make sure the choke lever is all the way down. Take it for ride and see if any of your issues have disappeared. If not, check the following;

Fresh gas?
Clean tank?
Clean tank and/or fuel filter? (there's a filter in the tank at the petcock)
Good battery?
Spark plug-right one? correct gap?
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 03-20-2017, 01:13 AM   #512

i always just start riding with the choke on and then flip it down while riding. mine is still cold natured too. aint got time for no warming up nonsense
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 03-23-2017, 09:45 AM   #513

It's been quiet around here

It has been quiet around here for a while. ARH is waiting for information on the latest greatest thing from China since sliced bread. It is hard to accept the tried and true vs the new and exciting, so I'm waiting for enough reports to come in on the latest wonder bikes from China, looking for ways to weasel their way into our wallets. It remains to be seen how much better the Enforcer is compared to the Hawk, for example. Certainly the less hassle about registering them is a plus. In those states that cause hassles. A lot of the hassle can be avoided if you make sure the MCO from the distributor states it is a motorcycle, instead of a dirt bike. I must say, so far, the first reports on the Enforcer are very good. But I think I will wait on a larger sample before I jump on the bandwagon. As to the others coming on the market, to me the most important point is wheel size. It is difficult to get all of the different tread types in any size other than 21inch, or 18 inch...ARH

Old 03-26-2017, 08:03 PM   #514

Spokes and tires.

A rider posted on this forum that he went for a ride the other day, and the rear tire was flat. OK, tires go flat, from time to time. But what he found when he broke down the tire was disturbing. What he found was some kind of oily, slippery fluid inside the wheel, coated on the tube and on the inside of the tire. This came from the factory, as it was a new bike. He thinks the slimy tire slipped on the rim, and pinched the tube. Could be, I guess. I suggest that when you assemble the bike you unscrew the the Schroeder valve to let the air out, and then use a tire spoon to break the bead loose in one spot and see if there is any of that stuff inside your tire. If there is, better break that tire down and get every trace of whatever that stuff is totally cleaned from the tire, the tube, and the inside of the wheel. I hope this was a one time screw up at the factory, and we never see it again, but people need to be aware this happened once already, so could happen again...ARH

Old 03-27-2017, 08:30 AM   #515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
A rider posted on this forum that he went for a ride the other day, and the rear tire was flat. OK, tires go flat, from time to time. But what he found when he broke down the tire was disturbing. What he found was some kind of oily, slippery fluid inside the wheel, coated on the tube and on the inside of the tire. This came from the factory, as it was a new bike. He thinks the slimy tire slipped on the rim, and pinched the tube. Could be, I guess. I suggest that when you assemble the bike you unscrew the the Schroeder valve to let the air out, and then use a tire spoon to break the bead loose in one spot and see if there is any of that stuff inside your tire. If there is, better break that tire down and get every trace of whatever that stuff is totally cleaned from the tire, the tube, and the inside of the wheel. I hope this was a one time screw up at the factory, and we never see it again, but people need to be aware this happened once already, so could happen again...ARH
That would be me. Yes it was like the oil they use in the engine and stunk. The problem is it was on the tire and rim bead so even if you have the tire at full pressure I think it cold still slide under hard acceleration or breaking. I used 409 which cleaned it up pretty good and I used windex to lubricate the tire when putting it back on. I haven't taken the front tire down yet but I bet I find the same thing.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-27-2017, 09:36 AM   #516

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
That would be me. Yes it was like the oil they use in the engine and stunk. The problem is it was on the tire and rim bead so even if you have the tire at full pressure I think it cold still slide under hard acceleration or breaking. I used 409 which cleaned it up pretty good and I used windex to lubricate the tire when putting it back on. I haven't taken the front tire down yet but I bet I find the same thing.
I hope that was a one time occurance. Some kind of glitch at the factory...ARH

Old 03-28-2017, 04:38 PM   #517

About ARH...

I guess I think that I should explain that I only offer suggestions on here based on 67 years of motorcycling. and I occasionally dredge up reminices of various (English) bikes I have been impressed by. Or deafend by. Or terrified by. Or requiring constant fixing. Ariel Red Hunters and Square Fours were the best motor cycles I've ever ridden. Better than BMW's? Yes. For me. Triumphs could terrify me. I'm going to recite Slammin' Sammy Tanner (also known as Stuttering Sammy Tanner) on Triumph frames. After turning a couple of hot laps at Ascot, he breezed into the pits, shaking his head, "B-B-B-Boy, this spagetti framed Triumph wants to walk me all over the race track." "When I turn it on, coming out of either corner, I never know if I'm going to come out high, low, or where. Could get interesting when there are 16 other bikes out there". Deafend by: Greeves scramblers with a 9 inch megaphone exhaust coming right out of the exhaust port. Constant fixing: A James Cadet 125 two stroke. What a pile of bits that was. Another terrifying one, A Vincent Black Shadow with a grabby clutch. Trying to cross 4 lanes of traffic on Ventura Blvd in Woodland Hills, California.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:27 PM   #518

That reminded me of you military bike post.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:46 PM   #519

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz9753 View Post

That reminded me of you military bike post.
Yeah it does, doesn't it. Thanks for finding it. I've never seen it before....ARH

Old 03-30-2017, 02:58 AM   #520

"then theres a great sorting out!" been there done that! usually the first turn in motocross.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 03-30-2017, 07:30 PM   #521

rims and spokes

Several riders have posted on this forum about changing rims on some C/B's in order to get 21 inch fronts and 18 inch rears. Now to help you guys out, I've found a couple of tutorials on lacing and trueing wheels in the simplest procedure I've ever seen. Now this guy is a little hard to understand because of his accent and choice of words, so watch them both over and over until you understand how simple it is if you do it right. It's very logical, once you get your mind wrapped around what he's telling you and showing you. Now don't get all excited because he's talking about building a BSA B-25 trials bike. Wire wheels are wire wheels, no matter what they are mounted on. So, Britannia Motor Cycles, BM 250 Trials, part 10 (1), and part 10 (2). Watch and learn.....ARH

Last edited by Ariel Red Hunter; 03-30-2017 at 07:31 PM. Reason: A miss spell

Old 03-30-2017, 08:55 PM   #522

Thanks for posting this very educational I learned a lot. He sure makes it look easy I am sure if I tried it would not go as quick but I Think I could get it done.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:21 PM   #523

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat67 View Post
Thanks for posting this very educational I learned a lot. He sure makes it look easy I am sure if I tried it would not go as quick but I Think I could get it done.
I know you can get it done. He's teaching in all of his videos, not showing off. He wants you to succeed. I'm glad you found it educational...ARH

Last edited by Ariel Red Hunter; 03-30-2017 at 10:23 PM. Reason: added info.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:11 AM   #524

Heads Up Alert!

One of our members had his drive chain jump off the drive sprocket, and he can't shift it out of low gear. He has 3000 miles on the bike, so I don't know if this will be covered under warranty. He is pretty likely going to have to split the cases in order to fix this. Or try to find one that's been in a highway accident, but still with a good motor to try in his bike. For the rest of us, it seems to me, this is a warning to buy and install a new chain! Replace that nickel-dime chain that comes on these bikes sooner, not later. I can't stand the sight of grown men crying!...ARH

Old 04-01-2017, 08:43 AM   #525

What is the best way to set / check the chain tension for these bikes?