Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2017, 10:39 PM   #451

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaborTot View Post
just doing a half throttle twist it just "spudders" a slightest.... I drove for about twenty or so miles and shifted into third gear to climb a slight hill on a back road and it cut out for like a half second. And did it more through the rest of the ride everytime I went to accelerate kinda hard in any gear. When I stopped I checked it out while it was in neutral- just a semi-fast half twist on the throttle and it just hesitated that slightest everytime.
OK, that's two different problems. Try raising the needle one notch (richer). That should improve mid-range throttle response. If not, let us know. The off idle problem could be a too lean pilot jet. Where do you have the idle fuel mixture screw set? Understand that the way these carburetors work off an idle is that the first 1/8 of slide movement is all the fuel enrichment you are going to get. Above 1/8th of slide movement, there is not enough vacuum to lift excess fuel (which acts sorta' like an accelerator pump) into the airstream to give the engine that little "kick" you are looking for....ARH

Old 02-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
OK, that's two different problems. Try raising the needle one notch (richer). That should improve mid-range throttle response. If not, let us know. The off idle problem could be a too lean pilot jet. Where do you have the idle fuel mixture screw set? Understand that the way these carburetors work off an idle is that the first 1/8 of slide movement is all the fuel enrichment you are going to get. Above 1/8th of slide movement, there is not enough vacuum to lift excess fuel (which acts sorta' like an accelerator pump) into the airstream to give the engine that little "kick" you are looking for....ARH
I'm curious. Did you try any of these suggestions, and how did you make out?....ARH

Old 02-27-2017, 11:29 AM   #453

Such a deal!

Yes, we have another contender in the "Such a Deal" dual sport/enduro field. The Enforcer . Versus the Hawk. They are more similar than they are different, but that's okay. More options to argue about. Engines are very similar. Enforcer looks to have a better swing arm. I really like the snail type chain adjusters. I hope that a bunch of you guys buy the Enforcer so we can find out about the bikes strong points vs the Hawk. Number one strong point to me, is that the Enforcer is 49 state compliant, EPA wise, so should be easier to plate in states that have problems plating Hawks. Sorry to you guys that have to have the newest and latest, if it was my money that we are playing with, I'd go with the Hawk. It is a known quantity. Maybe the Enforcer is as good, or better. I leave proving that to guys with deeper pockets then I have.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:44 PM   #454

I think the swing arm is the same as the Hawk's,the Magician's is the snail type.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:06 PM   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I think the swing arm is the same as the Hawk's,the Magician's is the snail type.
Yes, you are correct. My oversight....ARH

Old 02-28-2017, 09:59 AM   #456

Waiting

I don't know about you guys, but I'm looking forward to the first reports on the Enforcer. If it is better than the Hawk, we want to know about it. And in what ways. It may be a better solution for the "Plug and Play" guys. And not so much for the tinkerers....ARH

Old 02-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #457

Quote:
I don't know about you guys, but I'm looking forward to the first reports on the Enforcer. If it is better than the Hawk, we want to know about it. And in what ways. It may be a better solution for the "Plug and Play" guys. And not so much for the tinkerers....ARH
It's gonna be hard to beat(MY)the Hawk,just sayin.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:04 PM   #458

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
It's gonna be hard to beat(MY)the Hawk,just sayin.
I agree. But a lot of Enforcer chatter on here lately, so I want to see how it all pans out.....ARH

Old 02-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #459

Quote:
I agree. But a lot of Enforcer chatter on here lately, so I want to see how it all pans out.....ARH
ARH, I hear and respect you for that.

Last edited by chuck; 02-28-2017 at 04:07 PM.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:33 PM   #460

And some more of the story

Ah yes, another new bike is coming. "Trekken" I believe it is called. A new flavor of the day. The pictures I saw didn't interest me very much as it appears to have smaller wheels and tires. But we'll wait till someone actually buys one and is using it to see what gives......ARH

Old 03-03-2017, 06:37 PM   #461

Quote:
Ah yes, another new bike is coming. "Trekken" I believe it is called. A new flavor of the day. The pictures I saw didn't interest me very much as it appears to have smaller wheels and tires. But we'll wait till someone actually buys one and is using it to see what gives......ARH
The Trekken looks like a $3,000> chinese motorcycle.

Last edited by chuck; 03-03-2017 at 07:48 PM.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:44 PM   #462

a new idea

hey guys here is a new idea since ARH is such a vast head of knowledge here lets buy him a HAWK let him build it for fun.it could be the best HAWK out there.Ill donate 200.00 towards it.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:22 PM   #463

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboyk View Post
hey guys here is a new idea since ARH is such a vast head of knowledge here lets buy him a HAWK let him build it for fun.it could be the best HAWK out there.Ill donate 200.00 towards it.
At 80 years old I may be past my motor-cycling days....ARH

Old 03-04-2017, 12:30 PM   #464

More about tires and wheels.

Sometime back we had a discussion about tires and wheels. The stock tires on a Hawk can be described as knobbies that have been designed to be street legal. Now whether these tires are satisfactory for you depends on where you ride, and how you ride. All tires are a compromise. For those of you who ride mostly on the street, use the bike as a commuter, you do need different tires. For better traction when leaned over, and for braking. Particularly when it is raining. For Eastern riding, where the ground is wet and you have to go through creeks, and climb over wet tree roots, slippery rocks, and other hazards, I like Pirelli MT43 tires the best. But for where the ground is dry most of the time, like to ride at higher speeds, don't mind leaving ruts when you "roost" your buddies, knobbies will work for you. With either the trials type tires or knobbies, the standard spokes are borderline good enough. Personally, I wouldn't consider ever buying a bike for dual sport/enduro use that didn't come with a 21 inch front and an 18 inch rear wheel. Many more tire choices in those two sizes. For the average off road user, 19 inch front wheels are just as good - the problem is there is a very limited supply of 19 inch front tires. Also you should have tire security bolts at least on the rear, or you will have to use too high a tire pressure to prevent the tires slipping on the rims. Too high a tire pressure means less traction on the dirt. Especcially wet dirt.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:39 PM   #465

By the way ----

Yes, by the way, Pete in New Zeeland, tells us that with trials type tires, it is a good idea to use nitrogen in the tubes at low cold pressures. The way it works is the nitrogen pressure stays low as long as you are riding slow, off road for instance, but builds pressure with speed on the paved roads up to about normal. Low pressure helps a lot on rocks, wet tree roots and so forth. Remember, to run low pressure, you need tire security bolts, two on the rear one on the front. Minimum. ....ARH