Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2022, 05:33 PM   #31

[QUOTE=J4Fun;373123]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkay44 View Post
<<a "wearing in " process where they make some noise>>
That sure is good to hear Severely! Is that noise it makes during the wear in process a kind of a scraping sound? If that's normal, I'm feeling real good about it. Again, the front wheel's making the same(ish) noise.

Just a thought here, if the noise is coming from the front too, wouldn’t you think that rotor rust from not using the bike maybe the cause? If the front and back sound the same my thoughts are you need to drive the bike and see if the noise dissipates.
See reply to Tomkay. If you have more specific questions let me know.

Old 02-26-2022, 08:31 PM   #32

Just flip them around,only if on backwards.

Old 02-27-2022, 04:43 PM   #33

[QUOTE=severely;373128]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4Fun View Post

See reply to Tomkay. If you have more specific questions let me know.
I definitely don't have the caliper housing on backwards. Is that what you meant? The cable's not long enough to make that mistake.
I remember seeing this YouTube video a few months ago so I went and found it. Below is a link to a mechanic checking out a Hawk. He bashes it a bit but some of the mods and recommendations are solid. The rear brake setup on this Hawk looks identical to my TBR7. Start watching it at 14.03 where he puts 2mm shims/washers on the rear caliper mounts. I don't at all think that would solve my problem but it's been in the back of my mind while I've been dealing with this. At 1.54 is a good shot of the pads on the disc and you can see it's not quite centered.
Buzz, Severely, if y'all have the time, please check it out and share your thoughts.

Old 02-27-2022, 08:27 PM   #34

[QUOTE=Tomkay44;373188]
Quote:
Originally Posted by severely View Post
I definitely don't have the caliper housing on backwards. Is that what you meant? The cable's not long enough to make that mistake.
I remember seeing this YouTube video a few months ago so I went and found it. Below is a link to a mechanic checking out a Hawk. He bashes it a bit but some of the mods and recommendations are solid. The rear brake setup on this Hawk looks identical to my TBR7. Start watching it at 14.03 where he puts 2mm shims/washers on the rear caliper mounts. I don't at all think that would solve my problem but it's been in the back of my mind while I've been dealing with this. At 1.54 is a good shot of the pads on the disc and you can see it's not quite centered.
Buzz, Severely, if y'all have the time, please check it out and share your thoughts.

That quote was about Buzz and his thoughts on the brake pads being backward, not the caliper. I went out today and checked /replaced my front brake pads on my bike. I rotated the front wheel before pad replacement and it was fairly light rubbing sound. After replacement of the pads I noted a louder scraping sound from the caliper that quieted some after a few applications of the brake. While it's possible you have a larger problem the symptoms you've described seem like a break in issue NOW. I recommend you take it for a ride and have a check on rotor temperature or very loud grinding sounds. It's typical for rotors to be somewhat warm during normal operation because clearances are tight, and hot during hard braking. Recheck free play in lever/pedal and look at operation on the stand before you go. It's not unheard of to shim rear calipers for proper clearances. If the rear is an issue you could unbolt the caliper from the holding bracket and look to see if there is any space between the caliper and bracket after the brake is applied a couple times. If you see air try a couple shims to remove the space and recheck for noise/friction. Go for a ride and stop to check rotors every so often with a GLOVED hand for overheating clues. Good luck.