Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #31

This could be one of the best mods ever if it all works out, Keep us informed..ANd I hope pics come soon.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:46 PM   #32

Ok you guys will find THIS an interesting read then.
Marlone Harris posted this on my Yahoo group site and I for one will be trying it out this spring.(I want to do it now but the weather sucks)

best thing is you dont have to bang your bike on anything

Old 01-12-2008, 02:51 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
Ok you guys will find THIS an interesting read then.
Marlone Harris posted this on my Yahoo group site and I for one will be trying it out this spring.(I want to do it now but the weather sucks)

best thing is you dont have to bang your bike on anything
I have wondered about advancing the cam timing on these bikes. I did it on my Honda Civic (used and adjustable gear) and it made a world of difference.
Good to know about it, I wonder how it would do in addition to the ignition advance. (I run my Honda's timing advanced during the winter, but have to go with the factory timing in the summer.)

For some reason I don't seem to have all of those bookmarks I (thought) I had... guess I get to spend some time looking for them again. The one bookmark I found has some good info.
http://www3.telus.net/dougsimpson/david.html
About midway down the page is a writeup on moving the ignition trigger, has a good picture of the timing assembly as well. (for horizontal engines, but the vertical engines work the same.)

Old 01-13-2008, 02:34 AM   #34

I read on the net about guys that set the tappets at the "F" firing mark in order to advance the timing however this does not make sense as they were do this to advance the timing. I thought about this for a while and thought I would try it and see if it would at least help with my tappet noise!

The tappets are a lot quieter and the bike does seem to have more power but I don't see how this would advance the timing? However has given me a bit more power...

Your thoughts....

Old 01-18-2008, 08:26 AM   #35

Well, I certainly hope this thread does not die off. I know very little about bikes but I know for my cummins diesel a pump timing advancement gives more HP and better MPGs. I would love to see a practical way of getting similar results from these bikes with an easy adjustment. But I'm the dumb one, so I'm gonna need you intellects to come up with it .

Old 01-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #36

OK well I'm just stupid enough to try it and I will ASAP (right after I get my quad out of the garage)
Should I take pics ? oh now that I think about it someone else will most likely get it done before me.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:54 PM   #37

You should definitely take pictures

Old 01-18-2008, 11:17 PM   #38

word

Old 01-20-2008, 06:05 AM   #39

Any news about this??

Old 01-20-2008, 07:06 AM   #40

I havnt heard of anyone doing it yet and I havnt done it yet but it could be this weekend if I just get out to the shed and get working plus I have monday off it's just so cold out there right now.

I'm guessing the OHV(pushrod) engines can only be adjusted by the advanced timing mark unlike the OHC(camchain/sprockets) engines that can move over a tooth and reset the valves.

On the OHV (pushrod) engines what/where is the lower part that moves the rod and is it able to be moved one tooth over or what???

Old 01-20-2008, 11:05 AM   #41

Send a message via AIM to madmaximum Send a message via Yahoo to madmaximum
I'm curious, why would the valves need set after moving the cam sprocket a tooth?
1977 Kawasaki KH400, aka Green Ripper

Old 01-20-2008, 12:25 PM   #42

I'd be really careful moving the cam ahead 1 tooth. If you do it be sure to turn the engine over slowly by hand before trying to start it because there is a chance it would cause a valve to hit the piston. A better bet would be to find an aftermarket high performance cam. IMO the power band on these engines is in just the right place for use on a dual sport bike.

Q

Old 01-25-2008, 05:19 AM   #43

knothead, any up date one the timing trick?

Old 01-25-2008, 09:23 AM   #44

I want to do it to mine but then with the weather the way it is right now 10 degree's and snow I wont be able to test it anyway so there is no big hurry.

Q these bikes stock are just slightly under powered on the low end for offroad riding atleast ours are but we have lots of power robbing sand on our trails.
With the airfilter switched and a better flowing exhuast and the rejet my bike is very easy to run in the trails we have.The mods I have done have helped the low end the most which made me very happy.Taking off in deep sand on an underpowered bike is not much fun unless your watching.

Since I never bought ours with the intentions of using them as a commuter bike but rather for offroad riding up north I need a bit more get-up-and-go coming out of it.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:33 AM   #45

I really hoped this thread would not have died!