Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #31

Indeed, you did a very nice job!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #32

Wow, how did you mill the aluminum?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #33

Thanks for all the compliments on the work . All the work was done with, 3" abrasive wheels , sawzall , hand files , drill press , bench grinder and sandpaper . I'm thinking how nice some real frabricating equipment would be . I have worked with end mills before ,but while in that position i could not afford projects sadly Long way from here

Old 11-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #34

Maybe I missed it but...how come nobody has asked about the (I'm assuming) 'tool holder that looks like an exhaust' on the left side?

Old 11-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921
Maybe I missed it but...how come nobody has asked about the (I'm assuming) 'tool holder that looks like an exhaust' on the left side?
What would you like to know about it . I think no one has asked ,because many know that some of the non lifan generics came with these fake muffler tool boxs ,it matched to original muffer in shape and tip design . Mine has been moved up and forward and set at an angle to match the current muffler.http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...r=asc&start=45 more photos of the tool box are in this old thread

Old 11-20-2011, 11:56 PM   #36

I met a guy at a car show who had customized a '49 Ford, and he did some mild aluminum milling with a router. I think it's workable for projects like yours, since aluminum is so soft. You could set a router up in a table and increase the cutting depth incrementally until you've milled away what you wish. You could even set up stops to make the passes repeatable.

It's not an end mill, but it would do the trick. Nevertheless, excellent job free-handing it. Thanks for the pics.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I met a guy at a car show who had customized a '49 Ford, and he did some mild aluminum milling with a router. I think it's workable for projects like yours, since aluminum is so soft. You could set a router up in a table and increase the cutting depth incrementally until you've milled away what you wish. You could even set up stops to make the passes repeatable.

It's not an end mill, but it would do the trick. Nevertheless, excellent job free-handing it. Thanks for the pics.
Thanks for the idea ,I love things like this . Adapt and overcome . It inspired me to look into some things for future fabricating uses . Today i bought on ebay a 10 inch table saw and a 10 inch benchtop drill press for home ,Both for 70.00 dollars local pickup . I think the tablesaw with carbide tipped blade ,could work well for milling aluminum like the brake bracket . Who knows maybe i could use it for home projects also . And now i'll have a drill press here ,instead of working on things in 2 places.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #38

You could even use a large grinding disc on the tablesaw, just be careful with side load. A cheap X-Y table could turn the drill press into a cheap milling table. I would even try 1/4" router bits in the drill press. Can you tell I've thought of these things before?

Old 11-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by recracer
Quote:
What would you like to know about it . I think no one has asked ,because many know that some of the non lifan generics came with these fake muffler tool boxs ,it matched to original muffer in shape and tip design . Mine has been moved up and forward and set at an angle to match the current muffler.http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...r=asc&start=45 more photos of the tool box are in this old thread
I guess I've been missing it for a while as I haven't noticed before. I just think that it adds a nice touch. I like what you've done so far...especially the headlight. The standard one always has looked funny to me; sort of an afterthought. Just kind of bolted on there hanging off the front.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:10 AM   #40

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by recracer
Quote:
I guess I've been missing it for a while as I haven't noticed before. I just think that it adds a nice touch. I like what you've done so far...especially the headlight. The standard one always has looked funny to me; sort of an afterthought. Just kind of bolted on there hanging off the front.
Here's a link to the tool box http://www.motosportsparts.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7686/.f

Old 11-25-2011, 06:50 AM   #41

Thanks, racer.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:08 AM   #42

Just love the look of the bike!! Did you mod. the side plastics your self?
Love how your bike sits hight on the rea,r exact look i want on mine..
Whats the best tool to cut the plastics a dremel?
great job you done with it....

Old 11-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchestaro
Just love the look of the bike!! Did you mod. the side plastics your self?
Love how your bike sits hight on the rea,r exact look i want on mine..
Whats the best tool to cut the plastics a dremel?
great job you done with it....
I did do the cutting of the side plastics . Being very careful ,i locked a sawzall in the on position and ran the panels through . Hopfully you can find a safer way . After the cutting ,i used a tin sniped thin piece of metal. Burred edge to drag the plastic edge smooth .

Old 12-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #44

I just reread this topic and realized i had not said anything about the weight savings or not . I had not weighed things apart but as assemblies . The front wheel , tire and brake rotor ,were so close in weight No change there Zong sierra to supermoto aluminum . Rear assembly saved about 2 1/2 pounds . Lifan steel rim to supermoto aluminum . Also the front wheel speed counter has the speedometer ,just a tick fast / I think a 110/80 or a 120/70 front tire would be right on , currenty it is a 110/70-17

Old 01-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #45

Do you plan to try a different size tire, or just call it done?