Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #31

Clutch cable will be here today, CDI tomorrow, and spark plugs Friday or Monday

Fuel petcock is coming from China and shows estimated delivery on July 29th

This is not my first time ordering from China, I'm well aware of the typical delays, I just didn't pay attention to the shipping location when I bought it I might crack the factory one open and see if I can replace the seals.

I read in another thread that "these bikes don't have fuel filters". Mine does, it had a chrome and glass filter between the petcock and carb when I got it. It looks brand new, and since I've not had the bike running I don't know if it will run with this fuel filter installed. Is this a problem? Will it be starved for fuel with the filter installed?

Be Dragonized!

Old 06-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #32

It wouldn't hurt to replace the filter with a plastic unit, but make sure it's made in North America. I've had the China filters come apart, and that could end badly.

To respond to your question directly, I always use an inline filter. They run fine.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #33

X2; it's good practice to install a fuel filter. I don't have any problems with this fuel filter I installed in my Zong's fuel line.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...=fuel%20filter

If you get one of these filters, make sure you have the fuel flowing in the same direction as the arrow on the filter housing.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #34

Haha, thanks Spud. I bought a similar fuel filter many months ago in case the one that came on the bike was no good. I still have it, and I think I'll just go ahead and swap it out. I'm going to have to get some fuel line too, since the line on my bike is showing some cracking on the outside. Come to think of it, my friend's shop where the bike is currently living, has spools and spools red silicon fuel line for the racing carts

Be Dragonized!

Old 06-13-2014, 02:18 AM   #35

Got the bike cranked up tonight!! Thank you so very much to all the members here who helped me and taught me over the last year. I have learned so much and I learn more here every day, and I am grateful for this community and proud to be a part of it.

New CDI, spark plug and Clutch cable are installed and working great. She only ran for about 4 minutes before the petcock stopped flowing, but I had a chance to rev the engine a bit and put it into gear and confirm that it pulls forward. I have a new petcock on a slow boat from China. The lights and horn work, the engine is very loud, I'm going to check and adjust the valves before I crank it up again. I've still got quite a bit to do on the bike, but it is very close to being able to ride.

Be Dragonized!

Old 06-13-2014, 03:25 AM   #36

Congratulations; all your hard work has paid off.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-13-2014, 10:30 AM   #37

That's great news!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-13-2014, 10:54 PM   #38

So, the XR200 clutch cable worked? I have ordered a few cables from TMEC's US distributor, Excalibur, for my '09 TMEC when it was up and running, but decided to order a new bike the last time around, LOL. However, my engine is the Zongshen 167FML, vs. your 169 FML, so will research the clutch cable when the time comes. The good thing is I had recently ordered a clutch cable when the bike died out, so have a near new spare for the '13 TMEC.

It's funny having just read Trailbikeryder's tale of woe with his CDI, because my new bike died the other day at work. It wasn't a spark plug, but simply replacing the'13's CDI with the'09's CDI started her right up. Excalibur has sent me two new CDI's, which is ironic because I never had an issue with the '09's unit (and like I said, it still works!). Like Spud stated, these are never reliable, so having cheap ones so available, it couldn't hurt having extras around (like I always have a pre-gapped spark plug and tools in my trunk).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 06-14-2014, 11:20 AM   #39

Yes, the XR200 clutch cable was a perfect fit. I previously bought cables that I think were actually for a 167fml. I sent two back but still have the third one I bought. If you want to pm me your address I'll send it to you, I'm never going to have need for it.

I agree with having spares. I'm ordering another CDI, more spark plugs, and a spare voltage rectifier.

Be Dragonized!

Old 06-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #40

Another good spare part is a coil. I've had bad coils and bad coil wires right out of the box.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #41

Excellent suggestion. When i was shopping for my CDI I found several sellers on eBay who offered package deals with CDI, coil/wire, spark plug for $20-30 shipped. Speaking of CDIs, I didn't realize it when I bought mine, but it says it's for 50-150cc gy6 engines, there is another one that says it's for 150-300cc engines. the one I bought works, but it does not have the flashing green light that some do. is there really any difference between the 2?

Be Dragonized!

Old 06-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #42

There's likely a slightly different ignition advance curve, but as long as it starts well, doesn't detonate and meets your needs, don't worry about it.