Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #31

You're welcome, GVR. Thank you for the kind words.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #32

Air Filter

what have you been using for air filters? i was wanting to possibly get a better one i was also wondering if you have you done any mods to the air box for your zong?

Old 10-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #33

most guys around here use uni filters, but if you want to mod the air box check these out.

all you have to do is drill the holes or cut out the square. the square one has a slide cover that will allow you to open the vent up for more air into the motor or slide it close to return it to stock..

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/ty...77&webCatId=16

Old 10-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #34

Re: Air Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainesvillerider
what have you been using for air filters? i was wanting to possibly get a better one i was also wondering if you have you done any mods to the air box for your zong?
I am using the stock, foam air filter element. The Zong employs a Teikei MV28, constant velocity carburetor. Some of the guys at the TW200 forum have modified their air filters, but I don't think it is wise to modify the air filter on a constant velocity carburetor, such as the Teikei MV28. Also, if you ride off road, in dusty environments, the air filter is much less protected in a modified airbox.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-15-2010, 06:48 AM   #35

ok cool thanks i have ordered the header you have from ebay 89.99 cant wait till it comes in. next pay check i plan to buy the exhaust tip your using but i was worried about it running lean should i move the needle up 1 notch (if this is possible on these carbs) to allow more fuel or do you think this will be too rich? im not sure if it would be a bad idea im used to working on larger motors so im not to sure. i live at 0 altitude so i dont really see the need to get a larger jet
Input greatly appreciated

Old 10-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #36

you might have to rejet, over in the atv forum i have a lot of information about doing a rejet..

take it for a good ride before you do the exhaust, then when you do the exhaust for another ride. listen for a change any kind of bogging, rapid back firing sounds means a rejet.. you should be able to play with the needle settings.. altho i dont have one of these bikes, jetting is fairly universal

Old 10-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainesvillerider
ok cool thanks i have ordered the header you have from ebay 89.99 cant wait till it comes in. next pay check i plan to buy the exhaust tip your using but i was worried about it running lean should i move the needle up 1 notch (if this is possible on these carbs) to allow more fuel or do you think this will be too rich? im not sure if it would be a bad idea im used to working on larger motors so im not to sure. i live at 0 altitude so i dont really see the need to get a larger jet
Input greatly appreciated
The Yamaha, XT225 exhaust header I installed is stainless steel, and very nice. This exhaust header looks good, and is very resistant to rust. After I wash my Zong, I wipe my exhaust header with a chamois cloth; this procedure keeps the mud from baking onto the exhaust header.

The stock, Zongshen jetting is very rich on this motorcycle. If you read the jetting post in the Zong Sticky, you can find jetting recommendations for the FMF Universal Spark Arrestor at different elevations. Based upon the experience of myself, and other Zong owners, I recommend you keep the stock, Teikei, size 132, main jet after you install the FMF silencer; it will be very close to ideal for your Zong at sea level.

However, once you get your FMF silencer installed, please start a new thread and repost your jetting question. In this manner, you will get good jetting information from a variety of Zong owners who have installed the FMF silencer. Also, the information we collect from your new thread will be a valuable resource in the future for other Zong owners.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #38

Spud, I'm thinking of an FMF on my XR ratbike with the OHC Lifan engine.

I'm also thinking of going to a Uni pod filter, and removing the airbox to make room to mount the battery.

Any advise?

Old 10-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Spud, I'm thinking of an FMF on my XR ratbike with the OHC Lifan engine.

I'm also thinking of going to a Uni pod filter, and removing the airbox to make room to mount the battery.

Any advise?
The installation of the FMF silencer is very simple on the Zongshen motorcycle. However, you might encounter more problems installing the FMF silencer on your Honda. I encourage you to read the thread posted by forum member 2LZ regarding his FMF silencer installation.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #40

hey spud whenever you have to do a repacking could you take some measurments of the spark arrestor for me ? my fmf didnt come with one and i need one in order to ride at the off road parks ive found since i preffer trails over track. i just cannot seem to find a spark arrestor for the powercore 2 pipe

Old 10-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
hey spud whenever you have to do a repacking could you take some measurments of the spark arrestor for me ? my fmf didnt come with one and i need one in order to ride at the off road parks ive found since i preffer trails over track. i just cannot seem to find a spark arrestor for the powercore 2 pipe
My FMF silencer has the Turbine Core spark arrestor riveted inside it, Mike. I suggest you call FMF Racing; they can tell you which of their spark arrestors will fit inside your muffler.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #42

thats what i was going to do if i couldnt find one online, i also need a new end cap

Old 03-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #43

hey spud. i bought both the xt225 header and the fmf turbine core 2 silencer/spark arrestor(and a 132.5 mikuni Main jet - sea level). if i have the xt225 header on and the new fmf pipe sitting in the stock bracket, i have about a 6 inch gap. i was ready to trim off about 2 inches like you said and had my saw handy haha but was suprised when there was actually a gap instead. i have to run to the auto parts store tomorrow and see if i can find a connector pipe and do it up! i wish i had access to a welder but i guess clamps will have to do... any suggestions??

Old 03-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedee
hey spud. i bought both the xt225 header and the fmf turbine core 2 silencer/spark arrestor(and a 132.5 mikuni Main jet - sea level). if i have the xt225 header on and the new fmf pipe sitting in the stock bracket, i have about a 6 inch gap. i was ready to trim off about 2 inches like you said and had my saw handy haha but was suprised when there was actually a gap instead. i have to run to the auto parts store tomorrow and see if i can find a connector pipe and do it up! i wish i had access to a welder but i guess clamps will have to do... any suggestions??
Wow! 8O I installed the FMF Universal Spark Arrestor, which is also called the Turbine Core 2. Did you get a Turbine Core 2 designed for a specific motorcycle, Mike? :?: The FMF Universal Spark Arrestor should have a midpipe long enough to reach the XT225 exhaust header. :? Can you post a link to the FMF silencer you bought?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-12-2011, 04:24 AM   #45

sure thing

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

it was probably another dumb error on my part. i believe i ordered it for the wr250z which i thought was my best shot to get onto a 225 header. i should have researched more, but i will find a way to improvise fabricate something nice. A bit more work then i originally intended but im pretty excited for it!