Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 04:07 AM   #31

Sam said the paved roads in Tenn were still a nice ride, but I would like to do the dirt 2 day loop in Miss. It would be farther for me also, but what the heck. Other riders said Ark was good too. The states farther west look great, but I think some of them would be problems gas wise. Maybe we could do a section or so yearly.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:47 AM   #32

I'm still waiting patiently (NOT) for my MS and ARK maps to get here from Sam at TAT.

Any thoughts on when you want to make a run at it?

Old 01-17-2007, 07:48 AM   #33

I have a 3 day weekend starting may 18th, or june15th would be another 3 day weekend for me. Either of those sound good? Do you want to do theTenn portion or the Ms 2 day loop? I like the sound of the loop.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #34

Of the 2 dates, May would be better for me as I hope (still waiting for the planets to align) to be on my way to Alaska in late Jun.

Interesting note from Sam today that the center of the TAT in trail miles would be near Greeley Colorado. Should that or somewhere close to that be the site of our annual get-together?

Dennis (dlunt)--I would vote that you be given honorary status even if you sell your Red Star bike.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:04 PM   #35

May is good for me. Where in KY are you? Close enough to meet and truck the bikes to the start/end point?

Old 01-20-2007, 09:10 PM   #36

WooHooo!

Got the maps and roll charts in today from Sam. Top notch stuff. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow after the snow storm--study, study, study!

I also ordered a new RAM mount to put my GPS on the bike.

I live in north-central KY near the Capitol in Frankfort. It's about a 4 hour run to I-40 near Knoxville, TN and I have a sister that lives in Sevierville, TN. Either of those on your way?

Old 01-21-2007, 12:38 AM   #37

Somewhere along I-40 would probably be good.
I didn't get to keep my tag for long. Well, I didn't lose it, I still have it, it is just not attached to the bike anymore. I rode most of the day with my son, a good 2 1/2 - 3 hr trail ride. Right at the end we went over a little drop off, not much more than a foot. I hit it at pretty good speed then went up a gravel drive. I heard something funny and my son yelling for me to stop. The black plastic rear fender liner that the tag and brake light is bolted to had broken in half and was hanging by the wires. Oh well, gues it is back to the dealers tues. My Tank covers had also cracked pretty badly, they replaced them under warranty but sent the wrong ones. They sent the ones for the 1st Tank 200 dual sport. Looked preety good but wouldn't bolt up. Hopefully he can get the inner fender replaced also. I guess I will also look for some way to try to brace it up when I get it. Anyone else had this problem?
Besides the break, the rest of the day was great, my son is really learning to ride his Lifan 100. He slid the front wheel out today and dropped it for the first time. Picked it right back up and kept going. He has ridden every day that it has not rained since christmas, no problems with the Lifan QP100. I am impressed with his little bike. We had a cousin follow us on a 90cc chinaquad. I think it was a Falcon Quad. That thing would absolutely fly! I could not believe how fast it ran, it was hard sometimes to even keep up with him. He has had the quad since summer, bolts on it come loose after every ride, I told his dad to try blue locktite, but don't think he has yet. It makes some funky sounds, but the motor really screams and he rips around on that little quad.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:56 PM   #38

Did you get the Miss map? Does it show the two day loop? Do we want to do Miss or Ark, or should i get the Tenn maps?

Old 02-11-2007, 06:38 PM   #39

Update on my Tank bike. I got the new plastic fender and got it installed. I may try to plastic weld the other, but it really broke along some strange lines.
I took the bike by an independant bike place (he likes euro enduros and sells some gas gas bikes). I could tell he didn't have a high opinion of the Tank 200, told him it ran well enough and afforded me the oppurtunity to see if I wanted to get back into riding. He turned down an offer to ride the Tank though, but did give me an inspection sticker. Now I am off to DMV tomorow to try to set up a motorcycle test to get my MC endorsement. I let the old one expire years ago. Then I will be good to go.
The Tank probably had 400 Kms on it now, odo is stuck at 260 from the broke cable. I wanted to get it inspected and my endorsement before anything else broke. Motor does seem to rev higher now than it did, it is still fun.
Still looking forward to the ride in May! Are we doing Tenn or the Two day loop in MS?
p.s. I changed the oil in my son's Lifan QP100. Dirty but nothing shiny in it. He has broken nothing so far, the bike continues to start easy and run good. He is getting better and likes his bike.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #40

You guys are having too much fun!! We've had snow and ice for three weeks or more and that is a bit unusual for around here.

I've sent an email off to Sam at TransAmerica Trail asking about the MS two day. I've got the MS and Ark maps but not sure about his loop.

Should we start a new thread for the ride May 18 to 20 to see if any of the others want to come along?

Old 02-11-2007, 08:29 PM   #41

Might do it, this one drops down pretty fast after a post.
If Sam has a different map and route for the two day loop, let me know and I will get it.
I may go to a different rear sprocket to pick up a little speed, I wasn't pushing it before, 45 mph, or around 70kph's seemed easy enough before, but I don't think mine will wind much more than about 60mph now, and that would be pretty wound out. What is your doing, as far as top speed?
I was looking at your former bikes, I had a Bultaco also, and always lusted after a PE 250. Those were great bikes.
The scenic bi-way in IND, hwy 62, or any similar ride, would be ok for me, it was mostly 45-55 riding. Anything the TAT has that is similar would be good.
I rode for about 2 hours today, my right hand, even with padded riding gloves, get's pretty numb. Will probably be tough for a 48 hour ride. Seems like everywhere I go I am spotting new trails.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:09 AM   #42

Where is this ride at in Mississippi?. I really want to go! I would love to make plans to do something like that. I'll try and go whatever weekend you guys come to MS. I live in Hattiesburg, MS which is down closer to the coast, but I am game for anything. I could try and get a couple of people to come also. THOMAS RUSH are you listening?!

Old 02-13-2007, 12:00 AM   #43

The Transamerica trail goes from Tenn at the NC border to California, mostly on trails and gravel roads. I think there are several portions that were fun or real scenic that Sam (the TAT founder) turned them into multi-day loops. Not sure if we are doing the Ms loop yet or something else. Feritt did not get the Ms route, we are not sure yet if that is to be purchased seperately.
Tenn, start to finish and back would be a great weekend ride Ferrit, if you wanted to do that. It would also offer a closer start and end site for us.
Then again, the Ms loop also sounds good and should be fun. Could try Tenn first, see how the bikes hold up, then either try a mult-state trip or one of the loops.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:21 AM   #44

I really like the sound of the MS two day loop. Hopefully I'll hear from Sam today and we can start the planning process in earnest.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:58 AM   #45

Good, we may have a new rider or two. Feritt, what kind of top speed are you getting from your bike?