Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2009, 08:28 PM   #31

That is a pretty big difference in compression.

Not to get off the subject but you mentioned the one way deal on the starter, like a slipper clutch on a sportbike. Is that how most starters are built on motorcycles or just common on Chinese bikes? I'm not going anywhere with this question, but just curious.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #32

Note to self

Starting the engine with the timing mark inspection plug removed is a Very Bad Idea. I painted myself and a 62 T-bird with a hurricane oil spray.

Even with a clear plug, there'd be much oil moving to see the timing marks when running. With no breaker points, I don't know how to static check the timing. The bike runs too good for it to be off very much.

My engine is an OHC, and I can't see an easy way to get a look at the cam gear and chain. If anyone knows how to check the cam timing without pulling the engine, I'd love to know. When adjusting the valves, the TDC marks on the crank seem to coincide with the low point on the cam lobe, but I can't be sure.

Next test is to check voltage drop at the battery during cranking, then compare to voltage drop at the starter during cranking. If the starter relay contacts are skuzzed, I may be getting low voltage at the starter, and not enough RPM. Maybe that's why the jumper cable test to the battery didn't work.

I changed ignition coils, and now the bike will start on electric starter - but not often, and not happily. I'll take the small improvement while looking for the root cause.

Lego - All the bikes I've done starter work on - mostly Japanese, and one Harley Shovelhead - have constant engagement starter gears. An automotive Bendix arrangement is too bulky for a bike, and the one-way clutch isn't strong enough for a V-8.

In the meantime, I'm riding the Roketa. Thanks, guys.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #33

Next test is to check voltage drop at the battery during cranking, then compare to voltage drop at the starter during cranking. If the starter relay contacts are skuzzed, I may be getting low voltage at the starter, and not enough RPM. Maybe that's why the jumper cable test to the battery didn't work.

Good thinking. Maybe that's why my 'jumper cable test' failed. Still an odd problem!

Old 10-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #34

Islandboy, Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #35

Re: Note to self

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandboy312
My engine is an OHC, and I can't see an easy way to get a look at the cam gear and chain. If anyone knows how to check the cam timing without pulling the engine, I'd love to know.
Removing the rocker cover is the only foolproof way. With the engine at TDC and the timing inspection plug removed to reveal the T mark, the cam gear will have some form of reference. On '85 through '04 XR250 engines, the cam gear has a horizontal mark on either side of the gear that line up with the surface of the head. On my son's '80 XR200, the cam gear has a small mark above the top bolt, and you just make sure that it is 90 degrees to the head surface. Your cam gear will have an obvious indicator like that.

BTW, my buddy brought his XR over for some help and we discovered that his cam gear was one tooth out. It ran like that, but not very well.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #36

I'm an idiot

Okay. My pilot screw was adjusted way too rich. It was 2 turns out from closed, works for some folks, but not me. I set it at a little more than half a turn out. The bike now starts with electric starter just like it's supposed to.

I arrived at the final setting by standing behind the running bike and sniffing until my eyes didn't water. I live at 2000 ft, but go from sea level to 6000ft regularly. Big ride on the 8th, 0-10,000 ft. We'll see.

I'm ashamed. The pilot circuit jerks a bunch of people around. I should have known better. Thanks for all the ideas.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:35 AM   #37

Glad to hear that it starts with the electric starter now (and glad that your eyes aren't burning), but that still doesn't explain the cranking compression difference. Are you happy enough with it, or are you inclined to check the cam at TDC?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #38

All's well that ends well, but still some mystery in there... :?:

Old 10-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #39

Good deal, As posted above the compression thing is odd, but for what it's worth, I've been odd for 38 years and I'm still running fine

Ok, that was cheesy! Anyway glad ya got it starting with the electric starter.