Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2016, 04:32 PM   #31

No I've not come across that before

As far as I know the EFI electronics and wiring are not linked to the indicator circuits.
I will have a closer look to see if it could be anything else other than water ingress.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:15 PM   #32

Katflap,

I'd been thinking it may be tempurature related as well. I've been riding this bike in mostly 35-60 degree (F) weather and 2 bars on the temp guage, that would make sense that the fuel isn't evaporating well from the oil in cooler temps.

Joes blog post helps, I'm glad they posted that. I'll post the results of the latest sample and then another from hot weather use and see if a difference exists, if so the simple answer may just be to cycle the oil more if your riding in colder temperatures or block a radiator like you've done.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:45 PM   #33

Did you guys get this much stuff on your drain plug? It was really thick stuff. The paper filter had very little stuff in it. Also, I smelled a bit of fuel, I want to say I noticed it when I pulled the paper filter and the strainer out. I took a sample and mailed it out today to Blackston. The oil change was at about 202 miles. The oil looked like it was starting to get dark. Not quite black, but about 75% there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160522_171152.jpg (77.9 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160522_171149.jpg (85.2 KB, 242 views)

2016 Zongshen RX3 (CSC Cyclone)

Pay it Forward!

Old 05-23-2016, 09:56 PM   #34

My first few oil changes had white gasket sealer rtv stuff in the filters. More then the grung stuck on the magnetic drain plug. I did have some dark stuff caught by the magnet but nothing that really stood out to cause me alarm, rj

Old 05-23-2016, 10:06 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsocial View Post
Did you guys get this much stuff on your drain plug? It was really thick stuff. The paper filter had very little stuff in it. Also, I smelled a bit of fuel, I want to say I noticed it when I pulled the paper filter and the strainer out. I took a sample and mailed it out today to Blackston. The oil change was at about 202 miles. The oil looked like it was starting to get dark. Not quite black, but about 75% there.
Don't worry; that black gunk on the end of the magnetic drain plug is normal. The grey RTV is also normal for the first few oil changes.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-24-2016, 09:07 PM   #36

OK, got my second analysis back from Blackstone. 6.8% fuel in the oil. Total miles 1358, miles on this sample 673. Viscosity is crap. All other indicators are getting better as the engine breaks in. I'm contacting CSC in the AM.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:26 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
OK, got my second analysis back from Blackstone. 6.8% fuel in the oil. Total miles 1358, miles on this sample 673. Viscosity is crap. All other indicators are getting better as the engine breaks in. I'm contacting CSC in the AM.
Hi P,

Did the note along with the report mention the percent of fuel in the oil?

My latest oil analysis had 3.8 % fuel in the oil at 3,500 miles, with 1,100 miles on the oil.

The first analysis, at 2,400 miles had only 1% fuel in the oil.

The comments section of the report noted concern for this amount of fuel.

I also had continued high amounts of aluminum in the oil.

jb

Old 09-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #38

In July-August timeframe I installed a hotter thermostat in order to get the oil hot enough to burn off water and fuel. Recently I finally put some miles on the bike and sent another oil sample to Blackstone. This time the results are much more promising....0.5% fuel in the oil. The previous sample had 6.8% fuel! The thermostat was the only change. I only had 400 miles on this sample vice 673 miles on the previous one. Now I'm ready to go 1K miles before changing oil. FWIW, lead and copper are still a bit high. That tells me these engines are still breaking-in at 1800 miles.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #39

That's really great. Can you provide any details on the thermostat that you put in?

Old 09-28-2016, 06:01 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
In July-August timeframe I installed a hotter thermostat in order to get the oil hot enough to burn off water and fuel. Recently I finally put some miles on the bike and sent another oil sample to Blackstone. This time the results are much more promising....0.5% fuel in the oil. The previous sample had 6.8% fuel! The thermostat was the only change. I only had 400 miles on this sample vice 673 miles on the previous one. Now I'm ready to go 1K miles before changing oil. FWIW, lead and copper are still a bit high. That tells me these engines are still breaking-in at 1800 miles.
Great news on your oil analysis report, Peter.

Another few hundred miles before my next oil analysis.

Then will return the OSC configuration to stock, and install the 90C thermostat.

jb

Old 09-28-2016, 07:34 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
That's really great. Can you provide any details on the thermostat that you put in?
I got a 90C thermostat from Wattman (Look at Thermobob web site). The thermostat housing in our RX3 is such that only a pretty small thermostat will fit. In fact, you need to machine out a bit of metal to make this fit. As I recall, the OEM thermostat is only 70C so the engine is grossly over cooled and the oil never gets up to 212F to burn off water or fuel vapor. This does not seem to be a problem with most owners. Maybe I'm just anal enough to have an oil analysis...and see what I think is a problem. Obviously these engines operate all over the world with no issues so the 90C thermostat is probably overkill. At any rate, I'm a happy camper.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:46 AM   #42

That's excellent to know though and I'll watch mine when it comes in and maybe do that as needed. Since I live in the Great NorthWet it's very possible I'll need it. Yeah, the S is missing on purpose :-)