Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #361

1937 Hudson Terraplane, three on the tree. Found at http://garagejournal.com/forum/showt...t=51567&page=4

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #362

The original "Bush Car"

Old 01-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #363

This was at the pit when my dad was in there I guess, they're trying out the new side dump trailers before sending it up north.

It has 13 axles, 50 tires, and 3 articulation points.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #364

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Here's a fun video clip from Cannonball Run featuring an airplane similar to mine. Note the amazing landing and takeoff performance.

That's an amazing climb rate for such a long distance. The airport I used to go to had a annual party and one of the games was to see how many balloons you could pop with your airplane. During the game some of the planes could shoot up like that, but not nearly for that long........maybe a hundred feet or so before they would have to level off.

Dom Deluise.......he was awesome

Old 01-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
1937 Hudson Terraplane, three on the tree.

Looks like a "Hackberry" tree. I like the X cross frame....looks like that would be a robust design.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
This was at the pit when my dad was in there I guess, they're trying out the new side dump trailers before sending it up north

I used to haul explosives to quarries so I've seen plenty of side dumps, but none like that.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
This was at the pit when my dad was in there I guess, they're trying out the new side dump trailers before sending it up north.

It has 13 axles, 50 tires, and 3 articulation points.
Holy cow! How much horsepower (torque actually) does it take to pull that kind of load? Any special gears?

Old 01-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego1970
Quote:
Here's a fun video clip from Cannonball Run featuring an airplane similar to mine. Note the amazing landing and takeoff performance.

That's an amazing climb rate for such a long distance. The airport I used to go to had a annual party and one of the games was to see how many balloons you could pop with your airplane. During the game some of the planes could shoot up like that, but not nearly for that long........maybe a hundred feet or so before they would have to level off.

Dom Deluise.......he was awesome
Dom Deluise was a riot.

The 'secret' to such a climb is to start with a high performance airplane, such as a Maule, and gut it of everything not legally required to fly. I would imagine 3 or it's 4 tanks were empty, and it was running off of 5 gallons or so in only one tank. Other factors would be as strong a headwind as they could find, and as cool a day (not too likely in Georgia in the summertime, probably shortly after sunrise) as possible.

My Maule and I have had a lot of fun with such antics. 8)

Old 01-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #369

Quote:
Holy cow! How much horsepower (torque actually) does it take to pull that kind of load? Any special gears?
I don't know exactly what they've got going on there... It's most likely an 18 speed, Not sure about the hp and torque though. I don't even know what kind of weight they're putting on there, the normal max allowed in BC is 63K kg as far as I know, but there is no reason for that many axles then, so they must have permits to haul more.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #370

These are real pictures, before Photoshop, or PC's for that matter, even existed.

B.D. Maule, the creator of these fine airplanes, is demonstrating the fantastic takeoff performance of a Maule by actually taking off and flying in the hanger before he even reaches the doors! 8O

The plane you can fly right out of the hangar! B.D. Maule shows the short takeoff capabilities of the Maule with this daring exit through the factory doors in the late 60’s.

And again, in the early 70’s, B.D. once again shows off the Maule’s performance. Mr. Maule was the only one who ever attempted this maneuver.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:01 PM   #371

That's pretty cool

Old 01-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
This was at the pit when my dad was in there I guess, they're trying out the new side dump trailers before sending it up north

I used to haul explosives to quarries so I've seen plenty of side dumps, but none like that.
Side dumps aren't too common around here, more common is the end dump, or transfer trailers. They were testing out a new set of side dump trailers one day at the pit my sister works at and they rolled it over dumping next to the scale. I don't think I saved the pictures she sent though.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #373

That's awesome.

Runway......pfff.....who needs a runway....it's like a VSTOL?

As far as the Western Star semi truck. Anymore they pretty much just run Detroit motors since they are owned by Freightliner, which right now Detroit offers a 15litre with 560hp and 1850lbs of torque. That looks like a 90's or early 2000's Western Star so it could have a Detroit, Cummins, or Cat motor so I could have a 600hp 2050ftlb engine in it. Having said that it could have an older 425 hp /1450ft lbs Cat 3406b in it.
Most of it's in the gearing. Some of the 10,13,18 speed trannys have 12-14 to 1 low gears in them and the 8LL and 15 speeds have 16 to 1 low gear in them. Final drive would probably have an additional splitter on it so it would be something like a 4.33/5.88 split. The truck might have a pumped up engine in it, but most times the pumped up engines put out a lot more horsepower but not much torque gain. Either way a 500hp engine putting out 1600lbs of torque would work as long as the gearing is there.

1600lbs times a 16.1 first gear would be 25600lbs then going thru a split diff at 5.88 would be 150528lbs of torque at the wheel. More then enough torque to propel 150,000 lbs up to 45mph. If additional speed is nessasary then a taller diff would be needed hence the need for a splitter. A 4.33 rear end with a .80 top gear spinning at 1500rpms with 24.5 tires would get you somewhere around 55mph.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #374

I'd imagine they've got more weight on then that though, although it's just a guess. With a tridem truck and 4 axle trailer they pull 63K kgs, this has 5 more axles. I'd imagine it's over 90K kgs? That of course is just a number I pulled out of the air.

I'm also not too familiar with Western Star models, I can't tell that from a brand new one

Old 01-23-2011, 11:27 PM   #375

Here are a few more photographs from Punxsutawney, PA.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894