Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 01:02 AM   #286

New Kenda Tires and Tubes

Tonight, I also ordered new Kenda K761 Dualsport tires and Kenda Heavy-Duty MX tubes for the Viva. These should make the bike handle much better and eliminate the problem the stock tires have, of rolling over in the turns.

2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 07-03-2007, 09:54 AM   #287

Yeah, I would be interested to know how the shock works out. Mine is ok on the DB-07A but could be better. The DB-07B is great and I wouldn't want to change it since it is bolted directly to the swingarm and gives a pretty plush ride now.

How are you planning to mount the new blue one?
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 07-03-2007, 10:21 AM   #288

This bike is much heavier than I would have ever thought. The Buell XB12 uses a shock with no linkage. You may remember that I bought one of these to use on the Viva. If not check the first pages of this thread. I did not mount the Buell shock at a very steep angle and that, went combined with the weight. Dropped the bike's rear suspension right down onto the muffler. This was the same outcome as the R1 shock. The bike really needs a heavy-duty shock because of the weight. The chinese dirtbike shock is probably a much better match than these other shocks were.

I'll start off mounting it like I did the others. Check the pictures and if that doesn't work, I'll start increasing the shock angle until I get it right. I will also try to tighten the collar down and stiffen the shock if I need to.

Hopefully, this will finally work. I don't want to give up on the Viva. The bike runs perfectly. This shock may give me enough room under the seat to finally move a better battery under there, as I have wanted since day one. I'm commited to this project or I never would have purchased another $250 worth of tires, tubes, mirrors, headlight bucket and odds and ends lastnight.

Stay tuned! This ain't over! What a great looking bike.

2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 07-03-2007, 02:24 PM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM
No, I bought it because it has double adjustable progressive springs. Most of the dirtbikes don't have linkage rear suspensions. Hopefully, this shock will work perfectly on the Viva. I think it may but... I've been wrong before. Just trying to work out my bike!

The fact that it just happens to be blue... is a side benefit! :wink:

I didn't look at the picture that close, but now I see the adjustability it has.

Allen

Old 07-03-2007, 11:12 PM   #290

Kato- Thanks I'll try running it longer. I didn't see a carb fuel cup, but the fuel line is pretty long from tank to carb. I must have ran it for 2 minutes anyway. Tomorrow I'll switch it to off and really give it some throttle in neutral. Good Test. thanks.

Sam, nice tires. My stocks work fine, but yours look great! I really really hope your shock gets you back on your bike. Karma still owes you. The 17 tooth has made a huge difference for me. Night and day kinda difference.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:22 PM   #291

New,
Wait til' you get the 42 on there...

Old 07-03-2007, 11:44 PM   #292

Wait, I don't wait well. :oops: I never stop thinking. Adding 2 to the front is like dropping 6 from the rear. with the 42 I'm dropping 4 more. I already have to give more throttle to get moving. Will I be able to get moving at stop lights? I got X more travel for each gear last time. It's no longer a race to get into 5th gear. Wot was 92kph now it's 104kph. With 42 tooth 110kph? CRAZY I'm riding my bike more in my brain than on the street LOL.

When I was waiting for Sam's 17 tooth my wife and I picked up our new honda civic. Nice new car. All I could think about was that little throwing star sprocket I was juiced when it came 8O

Old 07-04-2007, 09:24 PM   #293

new2riding,
I understand exactly what you mean. I have a perfectly good Yamaha that I could easily plate and ride but all I can think about is my Viva. For what I just spent on the Viva I could have dualsported the TT-R250. Maybe I didn't do the smart thing spending more on the Viva but I really like this bike. I see the passion you guys have for your bikes and it inspires me. That sounds corny but... there it is! That and I want to build one of the nicest chinabikes out there.
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 07-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM
new2riding,
That sounds corny but... there it is!
When people ask" So, how do you like it?"

Sometimes I stumble for words. I want to sound laid back and really cool, but my face lights up, and the corny-ness just starts rolling out.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:52 AM   #295

SamM,
Wow I just got done reading your book.. I mean post! 20 pages of great reading!

I dont have a china bike yet but am planning on getting one soon and was wondering if all the china bikes have defective rear suspension?

I am looking at getting a jetmot bike and wanted to know if it would need to do the suspension mod?

Thanks for taking so may pictures and documenting all your mods It really helps everyone out a lot! Sorry to hear about your suspension mount braking. hopfully the new shock and mount will work even better then the last one.

Jeremy

Old 07-05-2007, 10:48 PM   #296

Jeremy,
Thanks for the kind words! Let me answer your question. No, not all china bikes have bad rear suspensions. Some are showing up without the rear linkage suspensions, though. If I was looking for one now that's what I'd be looking for. Someone here posted about their new bike having just a direct mounted shock. My KTM 950 like most KTM motorcycles, does not have the rear linkage. I may be spoiled! I'm not a real big fan of rear linkage suspension dirtbikes, but I do have one. My Yamaha TT-R250 has rear linkage. This type of suspension is both good and bad, in my opinion. Good, if it's working and well greased but bad, if it's worn out and you have to replace parts. The linkage of the china bikes seems to be rather cheaply made. Big surprise I know!

I wanted to replace my linkage because the dogbone was locked up against the shock. I could have easily fixed it by moving my top mount up about a half an inch. I also wasn't very pleased with the rear shock on my bike. It seemed to be very stiff. One thing I can honestly say, is that it has been great fun working on my bike. This is one of the biggest reasons I purchased it. I can also honestly say I thought it would be much easier to find a shock that works than it has been. The shock has been my biggest issue. the bike has been great. It starts right up and runs perfectly. I love it!

Without the great guys and girls on this site, working on my bike would have been much harder. I may have given up on it by now without this site and all the help I have received from the members here. If you decide a china bike is the way you want to go, the biggest part of your journey is over! You've already found this site.

The Jetmoto is a great bike. Post pictures of your new bike when you get it! :wink: You know we'll want to see it.
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 07-05-2007, 11:08 PM   #297

A Short Update

As you may has seen in my post at the top, I have ordered new Kenda K761 dualsport tires, Kenda heavy-duty MX tubes and new rim strips. I want to thank Akonababe for posting the picture of those tires in her gallery. I love the look of those tires and had to have a set of them for my Viva. They may go on my chrome wheels and later I might buy a new set of Trail Wing 50/50 tires for the blue wheels. When I was ordering the tires I also ordered new EMGO mirrors, blue Scotts grips, EVS grip donuts, and a white Maier headlight fairing. I'm going to try to make the stock gauges work with the new fairing but if I can't a Trail Tech computer will go on the bike. I still need a new headlight guts for the fairing. The white Maier headlight fairing should look great on the bike. I'm also going to try to cut out some of the stock wiring that's not needed, under the headlight.

Even with the new parts the shock work is first on the agenda. I'll post pictures as soon as I get into it.
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 07-06-2007, 12:31 AM   #298

SamM,
This site is awsome! I stumbled onto it (google) while looking for a cheap motorcycle man am I glad I took the time to check out the forum and the rest of the site. in the last few weeks I have been to every page of the site and looked at all the pictues in the gallerys as well as read most of the newer posts! I have learned so much about these bikes already and am very interested in getting one and giving it a real run for its money! I am lucky to have a friend who owns his own machine shop so I am sure if I get one he will be making me a few parts for this bike!

I am fairly good at fixing things and love working on stuff so I think these bikes will be great fun! plus they seem to get great MPG's so that will be nice as well!

Cant wait to hear how your shock works out! Good luck and keep at it! I am sure your bike will be totally awsome when you are done.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2riding
Kato- Thanks I'll try running it longer. I didn't see a carb fuel cup, but the fuel line is pretty long from tank to carb. I must have ran it for 2 minutes anyway. Tomorrow I'll switch it to off and really give it some throttle in neutral. Good Test. thanks.
I did the test. Set the petcock to off, started er up and ran it with lots of throttle for 5 min. The bike should have died. Just kept running.

I'm looking at getting a bigger tank during or before winter. I intend to replace the shut-off when I do. Thanks for the test suggestion. N2r.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #300

The petcocks are pretty cheap. Mine has a pingel style threaded mount. Looks like a harley type petcock. Mine actually shuts off the fuel, but I wished the reserve worked.

Allen