Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2010, 11:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterVS
Dunno exactly what to do with the exhaust as yet, haven't decided. Runs pretty good now, think I will leave it alone until next spring.
Do you have access to a welder? I posted recently on how to open up a stock Beast muffler for just a couple of dollars.

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...wtopic&t=10760
Yeah, I saw that, but i don't have access to a welder.

Would like to get an X31 dirtbike muffler for the quad... my X31 has an awesome growl!

Old 10-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #17

the x31 is a 250cc correct ?

if so its going to sound different then a 200cc motor with any type of exhaust.. in the end what exhaust you go with is up to you, the performance mufflers on gio are fine.. but just check ebay once or twice a week for these key words..

hmf
dg
fmf
yoshi muffler
pro circut t4

it does not matter to much if the silencer is for a 2 stroke or 4 stroke, or if its ment for a larger motor.. like i said earlier in this post, my fmf powercore2 ( 2 stroke fmf silencer) is ment for a 89 cr500 dirtbike. it does just fine, and is way lighter then the stock muffler.. just if you buy used, id suggest going to rockymountainatvmc.com and ordering up some of the lexx 4 stroke packing so you can repack the can when you get it.. packing is where it matters, 4 stroke exhaust fumes get extremely hot like 1200 iirc and 2 strokes dont get nearly has hot.. so since the beat is a 4 stroke you will want to get 4 stroke packing.. and the lexx packing is super cheap at 7 bucks plus 7 bucks for 3 day delivery.. id look around on that site when you order packing and see if there is anything else you might need..

Old 10-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #18

well got my pilot jet the other day and got it installed.. havent tested it yet due to the fact that my stupid bowl gasket was like to big for the bowl and the groove it fits into.. so i had to cut a small section of it and use some rtv to seal it up.. i used very very little rtv and smoothed it out and wiped off the excess rtv. so i shouldnt have to worry about any of it in the bowl its self.. but im going to give it a few days of sitting before i allow any gas to go into the bowl on the carb.. just so i know its nice and dry...

this jet should have fixed it.. with the 22.5 the rapid back firing sounds out of the exhaust in the pilot jets operational range was smoothed about half way out when i went to the 22.5 over the stock 20.. so worset case if the 25 doesnt fix it, i can lower the clip on the needle down another notch to the bottem one, and if i really have to a 27.5 pilot would fix it.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
this jet should have fixed it.. with the 22.5 the rapid back firing sounds out of the exhaust in the pilot jets operational range was smoothed about half way out when i went to the 22.5 over the stock 20..
So you quad was backfiring between idle and 1/8 throttle?, that is all the pilot controls, i only uped my pilot after the mods to make starting easier as it was too lean at idle, mine was only backfiring and breaking up at the top end, but the bigger main jet cured that.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #20

idle was fine, adjsuted the mix screw to get it smoothed out when coming off idle..

the problem was a rapid fast back fire sound from just before 1/8th to 1/4 throttle.. the first thing i did, was drop the needle clip down a notch, that didnt do anything.. full throttle it ran fine but i knew it was too lean..

so i bought a 22.5 jet from a local dirtbike shop (went to get a 25 but they where out) after installing the 22.5 pilot jet and going for a test ride around the back yard and slowly rolling onto the throttle the rapid fast paced back fire sound smoothed about half way out. so i knew it had to be the pilot jet, and at 3 bucks even for jets, i thought 3 bucks was not to bad to test if the pilot was the cause.

i still havent tested out the 25 pilot jet yet, if it does not correct the problem fully, i will try dropping the needle clip down another notch.. but like i said i had to use rtv to get the bowl to seal up cuz the bowl gasket was to big to fit in the groove that was cut into the carb for it. so i am still going to give it a few more days for the rtv to setup correctly then i will add some fresh gas and test it out..

on a side note i took my gas tank cap apart since it was not a vented gas cap.. turns out i was able to drill a hole in black plastic outter peice you grab to turn it to add gas. so i have a home made vented gas cap now, and all i need is the little tube with the one way valve to vent the fumes

Old 10-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #21

Quote:
the x31 is a 250cc correct ?

if so its going to sound different then a 200cc motor with any type of exhaust.. in the end what exhaust you go with is up to you, the performance mufflers on gio are fine.. but just check ebay once or twice a week for these key words..

hmf
dg
fmf
yoshi muffler
pro circut t4

it does not matter to much if the silencer is for a 2 stroke or 4 stroke, or if its ment for a larger motor.. like i said earlier in this post, my fmf powercore2 ( 2 stroke fmf silencer) is ment for a 89 cr500 dirtbike. it does just fine, and is way lighter then the stock muffler.. just if you buy used, id suggest going to rockymountainatvmc.com and ordering up some of the lexx 4 stroke packing so you can repack the can when you get it.. packing is where it matters, 4 stroke exhaust fumes get extremely hot like 1200 iirc and 2 strokes dont get nearly has hot.. so since the beat is a 4 stroke you will want to get 4 stroke packing.. and the lexx packing is super cheap at 7 bucks plus 7 bucks for 3 day delivery.. id look around on that site when you order packing and see if there is anything else you might need..
I have a performance exhaust from GIO, but it is for the Beast not the Rebel T3 I have. Not gonna mess with it, as it would be a pain to install, and it weighs a lot.

Checked on eBay once, will check again.
Quote:
id look around on that site when you order packing and see if there is anything else you might need..
Done that.... bought some awesome Dunlop tires for my GIO X31 dirtbike, and got a couple of pairs of dirtbike gloves for almost nothing on clearance! Need to get a jacket, and boy I sure need some shin guards, or dirtbike pants, my lower legs are really taking a beating!

Old 10-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #22

well today is test day, ive let the carb sit so the rtv would set properly. its been sitting for 3 or so days i think.. got me some fresh gas, so at some point today im going to be happy im finally done with jetting, or ticker off ive got to buy more jets..

pretty sure its going to be good to go, only thing i can think of that i would need to change would be the needle clip setting back to the middle notch.. but i think it will be fine the way it is..

Old 10-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #23

*UPDATE*

SUCCESS !!!!

my quad is now jetted properly according to sound, still need to take it for a fast ride to check the plug but the power is smoother, and it feels a bit strong and a little faster in the low to mid throttle range. didnt have to raise my needle clip up.

also as a side note, it seriously made the sound of my exhaust change..i could notice that it was not as raspy as before, it had more of a deep tone to the idle and while riding it..

so it appears the general rule of thumb for jetting a beast with a mikuni, intake, exhaust, cdi is 110 on the main and 25 on the pilot..

Old 10-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #24

Quote:
*UPDATE*

SUCCESS !!!!

my quad is now jetted properly according to sound, still need to take it for a fast ride to check the plug but the power is smoother, and it feels a bit strong and a little faster in the low to mid throttle range. didnt have to raise my needle clip up.

also as a side note, it seriously made the sound of my exhaust change..i could notice that it was not as raspy as before, it had more of a deep tone to the idle and while riding it..

so it appears the general rule of thumb for jetting a beast with a mikuni, intake, exhaust, cdi is 110 on the main and 25 on the pilot..
Good to know! These can be semi-nerve wracking projects until you get them dialed in. :P

Old 10-14-2010, 01:48 PM   #25

the hardest part was also the most pita part. removing the damn carb, cuz the 2 bolts holding it to the intake manifold only allow you enough room to do 1/8thish turns at a time..

so to the new people who have a gio beast or any atv or dirt bike that shares the same parts and motors. get a mikuni carb and jet it, it is well worth it..

Old 10-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #26

Quote:

so to the new people who have a gio beast or any atv or dirt bike that shares the same parts and motors. get a mikuni carb and jet it, it is well worth it..
Yep i wish we had a sticky for these beast tips, both W&G and i have already posted our jetting tips in the early spring for these carbs and we both came to the conclusion with our mods to run the 110 main and 25 pilot.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #27

the 110 main and 25 pilot with the needle clip dropped down one notch works good here in texas..

Old 10-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #28

Quote:
the 110 main and 25 pilot with the needle clip dropped down one notch works good here in texas..
And i'm on the 4th groove down from the top, same as you as well.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
Quote:
And i'm on the 4th groove down from the top, same as you as well.
good deal dude, nice to finally have the power mods and carb tuned up. now its time to work on either cosmetics with new body plastics or suspension with some new shocks and maybe a new swing arm so i can extend it with out having down time on the quad..

Old 10-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #30

a little update.

took the quad out in the front today and did a few blasts down the street, running 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears to redline..

had to raise the needle clip back up to the center notch, i was getting some bogging and hesitation in the mid throttle range.. raised the clip back to the center notch and she runs PERFECT now !!!

1st gear wheelies are easy now, hard part is allowing myself to stay on the throttle harder and longer to keep the front end up..

so my carb settings are as followed

110 main
25 pilot
center notch on the needle clip