Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #16

I have one similar on mine and I love it. I am 58 years old and I am having more fun than I had when I was 25. That is how old I was when I sold my last bike, my wife said it had to go. We are still married, and she likes my bikes, but she does not ride.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #17

Re: Bug Defflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkrantz
Here's my bug deflector...
The windscreen looks great; the entire bike looks great! Congratulations on a super deal!
Quote:
...I'm also adding flashing brake lights featuring chrome skull license plate bolts w/red LED eyes. They will flash for 4 seconds and then stay lit. Virginia law allows their use as long as it flashes for less than 5 seconds.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
Can you tell I'm a red neck? :wink:...

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-27-2010, 09:48 PM   #18

Once you get up to about 50 Mph, your speedometer will read about 7 MPH faster than you are moving, unless they have fixed that. I think it says MPH but it is actually in kilometers.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #19

As long as you're using four stroke motorcycle oil, I don't see a problem with synthetic. I've broken all of our machines in on synthetic, and none of 'em burn any oil.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #20

I have a great deal of respect for Weldangrind, but I disagree with him on this one. Come on guys what are your thoughts on the oil?

Old 04-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld
I have a great deal of respect for Weldangrind, but I disagree with him on this one. Come on guys what are your thoughts on the oil?
I agree with WG. I don't see any harm in using synthetic oil, right from the beginning.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Once you get up to about 50 Mph, your speedometer will read about 7 MPH faster than you are moving, unless they have fixed that. I think it says MPH but it is actually in kilometers.
1 KM = .62 miles
50(mph) divided by 57(mph) = .88
50(mph) divided by 81(mph) = .62

If my math is correct you would have to be reading 81mph and only going 50mph if it were in km/h.

Must be a sensor gear ratio problem.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:26 PM   #23

Quote:
I'm no mechanic but the only difference that I can foresee is a gentler, maybe prolonged, break in which equates to extended life. :? :?:

Old 04-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Quote:
Must be a sensor gear ratio problem.
If mine has that problem and if I can nail down the percentage it is off I'll make a new speedo template with the adjusted percentage. I don't like that red line too much anyway. I made one once before for a Suzuki Samurai that I had. I created it in a graphics program and printed it out in color on adhesive backed stock and just stuck it over the speedo and cut out the holes for the odometer and stuff with an exacto knife.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:11 AM   #25

That's pretty cool! 8)

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #26

Quote:
You're welcome for the info. Most guys here will discourage you from using that synthetic for at least 1000 miles. The conventional oil will allow a better break in. I personally would drain it and save it for later. The shift to neutral when the engine is not running, is not a problem, it is when It is running. Be a bit gentle on the tranny at least for a while. As you may have read, I did go with a smaller sprocket on the back and it is hard to find. Have fun and be careful!

That is the concensus, did you get any kind of owners manual?

Old 05-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #27

was wondering what speed this would get up to comfortably... can it go on the highway? I have a friend who likes cruisers and this is the right price but he needs to go down to the valley and thats 65mph

Old 05-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #28

My opinion is that with stock gearing, 65 is not a reasonable speed to maintain. I also don't think you can maintain that speed with altered gearing. Others will disagree, but that is pushing that engine past its limits.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissann
was wondering what speed this would get up to comfortably... can it go on the highway? I have a friend who likes cruisers and this is the right price but he needs to go down to the valley and thats 65mph
The manual says >=55mph or >=90kmh. I have heard of people doing 65 to 70 but I'm sure with the low gearing that would be pushing it. Mine will never see the Interstate. Where I live its bad enough in a car.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #30

I got tired of waiting for my parts to arrive and threaded my last two threads on the shifter linkage into the elbow joint and put ten miles riding around my property today. Its been 25 years since I've been on a bike but after I got over the jitters I was alright. If I decide to do any more trail riding though I think I'll have to adjust the shocks to be a little stiffer. That back tire is great in the dirt/rocks.

I didn't have any shifter problems. All shifts were easy and positive. Easy to find neutral running or not. Of course I changed the oil to synthetic before I even first started it. Hopefully the parts will be in this week and I can take it out on the road.

I was reading the manual today. Whoever wrote it must have flunked English class. Some of it is hard to figure out what they are trying to say while other parts are quite comical. Did you know that I have a rear winker? The first 500 kilometers(315 milies) I have to go <25mph and the second 500 I have to go <35mph. I don't think I'll be following the recommended break-in.
Oh yeah, it also says "Foltiden heavy load and sharp ramp". What the heck is that? :?